Hugo, the Boss

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, at least not since Lloris has been starting. Precisely this penalty box pinball was our undoing during the early part of the season. How much of that is Friedel, how much is AVB, how much is jitters… who knows.
Yep, I guess that was my point, I was meaning since Lloris arrived. Before we were a bit of a defensive mess. I think lots of the improvement is down to Hugo, but as we agree it's hard to quantify.

I thought De Gea was tremendous v Real, if he carries on playing like that he will be seriously threaten Hugo as the Prem's number 1.

Let's see if he can keep it up. the problem for De Gea is that he has more trouble than most of the top Prem keepers with crosses. Crosses are a problem for every keeper, and in the Prem you tend to get a lot of them. How he deals with them will be a key to his status.

Incidentally I want Utd to beat Real, both as a boost for English football, and also because it might stop them having won the title by the time they face Woolwich and Chelsea.

Came a cross this stat today. Ever since we let up two to Everton in the 90th minute to blow that game, Lloris and the defense have not let in a premier league goal after half time. The Everton game was on December 9th so that is over two months of not conceding in the second half (except the FA cup match vs leeds). That is some pretty remarkable stuff right there.

Came a cross this stat today. Ever since we let up two to Everton in the 90th minute to blow that game, Lloris and the defense have not let in a premier league goal after half time. The Everton game was on December 9th so that is over two months of not conceding in the second half (except the FA cup match vs leeds). That is some pretty remarkable stuff right there.
No but AVBs teams concede late goals though.

Good one:)

Not only is his goals per game ratio the best in the Prem, so is his clean sheets ratio.

He also has yet to miss a cross in the Prem this season, according to the stats quoted. To think some people labelled that as a weak point, presumably relying on stereotypes about foreign keepers rather than knowledge of Hugo.

I remember once hilariously on another forum someone actually saying that against some team who put in a lot of crosses they'd prefer Brad in goal. Yep that's Brad who's poor at crosses and nowhere near Hugo's level.

Presumably what they meant was that Lloris was French, and Brad looks tough (and doubtless is tough) so he must be better at crosses than some fancy nancy Frenchie.

Football fans you got to love 'em :)

I think hes decisive, which when playing our high line you have to be. It may not always be the right decision hes made but at least hes done it. Shot stopping, hes fine at that, but so are all keepers as thats what you fucking do, you jump in the way of a ball. Its largely instinct, obviously at the pro level you work at it day in day out so your reflexes are top-bollocks. I think hes very suspect at drifted crosses, like a lot of keepers these days.. That isnt going to change no matter what TP tells him in training, as on the continent you get told to punch those kind of balls as a kid.

FWIW i think Buffon is still the number 1 keeper in the world. Hart is also an excellent keeper. A couple of fuckups doesnt make you a bad goalie overnight. The press raped Robbo after the Croatia game for something that wasnt his fault (at school they tell you not to pass back direct to your own goal... Jesus christ) and i hope they dont do the same to Hart.

Hugo? At his age he could become one if the greats, but he will still have his flaws. Compared to what else was in the market we should all be pleased hes here, and back him.

(And yes ive been a keeper all my life, mild rant over lol)

It is important to note that in addition to the stats stated above, he is the only keeper in the league to have punched Michu in the face.

I think hes decisive, which when playing our high line you have to be. It may not always be the right decision hes made but at least hes done it. Shot stopping, hes fine at that, but so are all keepers as thats what you fucking do, you jump in the way of a ball. Its largely instinct, obviously at the pro level you work at it day in day out so your reflexes are top-bollocks. I think hes very suspect at drifted crosses, like a lot of keepers these days.. That isnt going to change no matter what TP tells him in training, as on the continent you get told to punch those kind of balls as a kid.

FWIW i think Buffon is still the number 1 keeper in the world. Hart is also an excellent keeper. A couple of fuckups doesnt make you a bad goalie overnight. The press raped Robbo after the Croatia game for something that wasnt his fault (at school they tell you not to pass back direct to your own goal... Jesus christ) and i hope they dont do the same to Hart.

Hugo? At his age he could become one if the greats, but he will still have his flaws. Compared to what else was in the market we should all be pleased hes here, and back him.

(And yes ive been a keeper all my life, mild rant over lol)

Fair comments, though I think the continentals are massively over criticised for their tendency to punch crosses, I think it's a perfectly valid way to deal with crosses so do many of the greatest goalkeepers who've ever lived, including I assume top ones like Buffon and Neuer these days. (I don't know too much about them, but I assume like pretty much all continental goalies they punch a lot).

I think saying Hugo is very suspect at drifted crosses looks harsh to me. I'm almost sure I disagree, but you clearly know your keeping so I won't go that far.

The fact that he's yet to miss a cross so far this season according to the stats, suggests you're wrong, but we'll see as the season progresses.

Overall I think you underrate Hugo, but as a keeper I respect your opinion.

Back
Top Bottom