Hugo, the Boss

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

OK, here's the table. I used the same dataset as what penpen penpen used. I can't believe I'm arguing w/ a Spooky SockPuppet™, but the internet is what it is:
oMVzrzj.png

As we can see, Lloris makes the fewest saves/90 min and gives up the fewest goals/90 min. This means he is not seeing a lot of shots. I would guess that that means that he sees a smaller percentage of soft shots than an average keeper. This would be largely because, imo, our defense is very good and, further, because teams park the bus on us, meaning that the shots they get are high-percentage shots on counters and the like.

His saves / goal seems to be just below average (9.77), and I think that's what is causing this bit of Jesus weeping. But if all you see are one-on-ones, then you're not going to have a good save percentage. But you will have a low save count as well as a low goals count, because one-on-ones are rarer than speculative bombs from just outside the box.

Edit: this table is of all keepers in the PL with > 1k mins.

Much thanks for the hard data Éperons Éperons .

Bottom line: it's hard to criticize the keeper giving up the fewest goals per 90 minutes in the league when he also doesn't seem to be making any obvious mistakes.

I think pretty much every set of fans over-rates their own players, but Hugo is up there with the best.

Shot stopping is obviously a big part of it, but as already said, he has to be commanding and organise a defence. The back 4 need to feel comfortable with him there and apart from the odd shaky moment (which could happen to anyone) this has happened. He clears his lines well from set-pieces, he comes off his line well. Struggling to find a fault in his game really.

Hugo is the best keeper in the country and one of the best in the world

It's possible I'm overrating him, but that's my view.

I saw a stat the other day that said he was one of the few prem keepers with no goals conceded due to keeper error. The only other two were, IIRC, a keeper who hadn't played much and Cesar of QPR, who is very good, but I rate Hugo higher.

An easier stat is this - look at the points per game with Brad and Hugo - the difference is huge - look at goals per game brad and hugo - the difference is huge

just look at how hugo plays and brad plays - the difference is huge - and brad's not even a bad keeper

we can argue the stats all day and all year, and I love arguing stats so 'let's be aving 'em' :)

if anyone watches us for more than five minutes, it's obvious that time and again hugo cuts out the danger at source - if people are failing to see that - fair enough

compare what happens when stay at home brad plays - of course he faces more shots, headers etc and of course being a good keeper he saves a lot of them, but hey here's an easier way get off your line, kick, punch, flap whatever the ball away before it becomes a shot/header

Lloris makes even most of the Prem keepers look like amateurs, let alone the amateurs

I have never ever seen a keeper who reads the game so well, and that includes Clemence who was a master at it.

Admittedly i didn't watch Clem regularly during his greatest years at Pool so may be doing him a disservice

Another thing the stats show is just how good we are, which seems to escape a lot of people including many Spurs fans.

A classic example our last game. Lots of Geordie fans ,'neutrals' , our fans saying Toon will muller us, sissoko and co will beast us, we can't deal with Cisse , the French connection, blah blah, shit, blah blah merde

What happened - rien, nothing like it - our high back line fucked them over - they got a ridiculously lucky goal which will go against Hugo in the stats - but how is he supposed to save that ???

then late on they get a chance so Hugo has to make a proper save and does it.

Tell me if I'm wrong - Toon only managed TWO meaningful shots on our goal, yep that's right the mighty Toon, the monsters of Tynecastle

Hugo only saved ONE of them, the other was an impossibility - even Big Pat couldn't save that

PS - I may well be overrating Hugo

but the captain of France regularly at 25, as a keeper, there's a clue I'm not :llorishuh:

This is telling me Gerhard Tremmel is the best Keeper in the league. The only back up keeper on this list, in a mid table side. With a considerably higher saves/90 minutes then anyone around him, much higher saves per goal, while being one of only three with less than a goal per 90. lol.

Another data point: http://www.thescore.com/epl/goalie_splits/shots_faced

No keeper on that entire list sees fewer shots per minute than Hugo. Unless I'm mistaken he's the only one who averages more than 10 minutes per shot.

Love the stats (and @Éperons' too!). Looking at those, Hugo has:
  • a better win % than any other keeper at 62.5% (10 wins/16 games), except the Utd 2 (83 & 75%). Surprisingly, that's better than Joe Hart/Man City for the season...
  • a better clean sheet % of 44% (7 from 16 games played) than any keeper other than Cech (64%). The Utd 2 score badly here (about 25% each)
  • the lowest average amount of goals conceded/game at 0.87 GPG. Only Joe Hart also averages under 1 GPG (0.92 GPG).
As is agreed (!) earlier, goals conceded is about more than just the GK, but i) Hugo is certainly (more than) playing his part, and ii) our defence is actually not too shabby at the moment...

:llorishuh: :walkerwtf: :dawsonlol: :vert: :baelol:

Incidentally, Julio Cesar (GK flavour of the month?) has stats of 5%, 27% and 1.4 GPG, but most would say he's earnt QPR many points... #statscanprooveanything
:avblol:

This is telling me Gerhard Tremmel is the best Keeper in the league. The only back up keeper on this list, in a mid table side. With a considerably higher saves/90 minutes then anyone around him, much higher saves per goal, while being one of only three with less than a goal per 90. lol.
No, it just means that if he gets steady playing time at Swansea, you should consider putting him in your fantasy team. That's all.

Like I said above, saves/90 is a description of what kind of offense the side sees, not of the skills of the keeper. Teams manage a lot of shots on Swansea, for whatever reason, but they're not particularly threatening shots.

That's why I hesitate to say Lloris is an amazing keeper, because it's hard to distill his specific contributions from the data above. It does, however, put into context Carlito's sniffing about the save percentage, and that's valuable. But if you insist on seeing these statistics as solely about the goalkeeper, that's certainly your prerogative. You'd just be wrong.

No, it just means that if he gets steady playing time at Swansea, you should consider putting him in your fantasy team. That's all.

Like I said above, saves/90 is a description of what kind of offense the side sees, not of the skills of the keeper. Teams manage a lot of shots on Swansea, for whatever reason, but they're not particularly threatening shots.

That's why I hesitate to say Lloris is an amazing keeper, because it's hard to distill his specific contributions from the data above. It does, however, put into context Carlito's sniffing about the save percentage, and that's valuable. But if you insist on seeing these statistics as solely about the goalkeeper, that's certainly your prerogative. You'd just be wrong.

Bro, My comment was more in shock that Tremmel is up there, no I don't think he is the bees knees. It was because on the whole, the list follows the order you would expect. top 6 teams concede less goals due to attacking more etc, therefore we would reasonably expect those keepers to be conceding less per game, and simply catching long range shots and so on. In hindsight I must say that Swansea are 7th atm so it shouldn't be so odd. Wasn't serious in other words.

one little question on a side note, does it count as a save if the striker hasn't actually touched it? e.g Lloris running out of the box and tackling/clearing a through ball? I would be interested to know the number of out of the box clearances each keeper has made in that sort of situation. Teams with high lines would do more obviously.

Back
Top Bottom