Ian wright decent geazer

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Scots suffer more discrimination these days in the UK than black people do.

Muslims suffer more discrimination than any other minority group in the UK.

Discuss.
I don't think I've ever heard of Scots being stopped and searched because they were scottish.
650 Scottish MPs in the Houses of Parliament, there have been 9 Scottish Prime Ministers, I wouldn't say they were doing too badly.

Muslims can be white, black, brown, English, Scottish etc.
The amount of discrimination will be variable according to colour, appearance and where the person is from.

I would say my empirical observation is as valid as Ian Wright's, wouldn't you?
Or are you still trying to work out how to conflate race and class in a meaningful argument that involves Theo Walcott, Raheem Sterling and every other black or mixed race footballer?
Hmmmm I didn't actually bring up Theo Walcott.

Especially if you compare the way the Media treats Sterling compared to Rooney and Terry. Rooney was shagging grannys, having affairs, getting wasted before big games and England tournaments and he was always treated as the great white hope. And lets not even get started on Terry...

Terry , Beckham , Rooney all got a slaughtering off of the media at various points in their career
He was amazing last season for City and instrumental in their title win.
His stats were very good. He is a good player period. He has a lack of end product only in the same way maybe someone like Cavani does in that they're often wasteful but still get so many chances they produce a good return- but that standard is still only just below the absolute current beat players in each league.

He had a shit world cup yes. So did many others. And so have even more in the past who also earn shit tonnes.

Key thing. Young black and successful. Can't have that

So nobody who is young black and successful is loved ? Do me a favour , Anthony Joshua , Usain Bolt , Mo Farrah , laughable suggestion.

That there's a big difference with comparing the media's reaction to Theo Walcott to Raheem sterling as even though they are both black ( well Walcott is just as much white but whatever) they come from totally different backgrounds and that plays a part in how they are judged and perceived by the media and some of the general public imo.

How do you explain the universal media love in of Anthony Joshua or Mo Farrah then ?

We're going down a dangerous road if we're going to simply assume that criticism of black players is born out of racism...I think more evidence is needed to make that assumption in this case, personally.

I don't condone the amount of abuse he received, mind, whether it was born from racism or not. He's a dickhead, but he didn't deserve everything he got.

How do you explain the universal media love in of Anthony Joshua or Mo Farrah then ?
Honestly, they both conformed to a certain degree to gain the "media love". Fun loving, always smiling, say fuck all about politics (or anything serious for that matter) happy go lucky black man. They have been media trained absolutely brilliantly.

Farah talks about Africans quite derogatory to be totally honest. "we have to beat them" amongst other stupid things his delusional self spouts to the media and he's only doing that because he's been trained by his media savy team excellently. Joshua was a drug dealer ffs...his team had to strip him down to the bear bones and start over. Now he smiles, laughs and says nothing of note . I actually think he's the fakest sports personality there is and see right through the act. If he had Wilder's personality he'd be crucified because htat's not the sort of 'attitude' that is accepted for a black man to possess.

Honestly, they both conformed to a certain degree to gain the "media love". Fun loving, always smiling, say fuck all about politics (or anything serious for that matter) happy go lucky black man. They have been media trained absolutely brilliantly.

Farah talks about Africans quite derogatory to be totally honest. "we have to beat them" amongst other stupid things his delusional self spouts to the media and he's only doing that because he's been trained by his media savy team excellently. Joshua was a drug dealer ffs...his team had to strip him down to the bear bones and start over. Now he smiles, laughs and says nothing of note . I actually think he's the fakest sports personality there is and see right through the act. If he had Wilder's personality he'd be crucified because htat's not the sort of 'attitude' that is accepted for a black man to possess.

So is it Sterlings media personality or his ethnicity or both? , I'm confused.

So how do you explain Usain Bolt and Mike Tyson being given an almost god like status in the British press for such a long time ? What's the criteria that proves the British media are racist ? They seem fairly selective with it if it does exist.
For Usain Bolt see the other 2 you previously mentioned.

Mike Tyson?? God like status? are you taking the piss?? you're joking right?

For Usain Bolt see the other 2 you previously mentioned.

Mike Tyson?? God like status? are you taking the piss?? you're joking right?

A convicted rapist who has said and done some truly dispicable things , yet still is talked about with great warmth by the press to this day.

Bolt is a very genuine personality it's part of his appeal , your argument seems to be that if you are black and want to be well received by the media then you must dumb down your personality , what a load of horseshit.

Whether the media's reaction to Sterling's gun tattoo was proportional and/or race-motivated or not (fwiw, I happen to think that any public figure who gets a gun tattoo in the current climate, for whatever reason, risks a backlash), this latest episode appears to me to be unrelated. It was triggered by Wrighty's dismay at Sterling's consistently poor World Cup player ratings. The problem is, two players - one white, another black - scored lower than Sterling, all but rendering his argument moot, in my view.

Sterling received consistently low ratings on the BBC Sport website's Player Rater tool during the World Cup. His average rating was 4.66 - leaving him above only Phil Jones and Danny Welbeck.​

He copped negativity from me because he is not good enough to play for England. Was not good enough in the euros two years ago but was carried by better players at man city and yes he scored 23 tap in's but how many did he miss???

I noticed during the tournament that the media started to tell everyone what a genuinely nice guy he is. I could not care less if he is or isn't, I want a player in the side that deserves his place on merit and he is not good enough, would rather have seen rashford, loftus-cheek or vardy given more minutes......

That said, and I don't read them but the red tops definitely had a pop at him prior to the world cup, that was out of order, yes he's rubbish for England but judge him on his performances not what ink he has or what time he turns up for training!!!

There may be some racist elements in the British press (cough**The Sun and the Daily Mail are massively racist and read by cunts**cough), but I really don’t see it in the majority.

Every player that acts like a dick gets abuse from the press. Stirling flopped for England and got abuse. Kane got the Golden Ball and got abuse, so it’s not even limited to bad performances. The English press are just a bunch of hateful and illiterate cunts anyway; I don’t think skin colour makes any difference.

Lewis Hamilton is a cunt, but he’s loved by the press. Bruno was a tabloid hero back in the day, and still is despite his psychotic episode (which I think is a good thing).

There’s no real evidence that, outside of The Sun and the Daily Mail, the English press is racist. When it comes to sport, skin colour is probably the least important issue in the world when it comes to how fans appreciate good players. I’d go as far to say that sport has played a massive part in integrating different races. It’s only in the context of a thread such as this that I’d consider Spurs players and think ‘Ledley King...oh yeah he was black’. He”s just Ledley King - Spurs legend, for me.

Was the ridiculous abuse Kane got for claiming a goal because he was white? no it was because he did something that allowed the media, internet trolls, and jealous football fans an opportunity to attack him ...

Was Graham Taylor abused and labelled 'Turnip Head' because he was White? no it was because he didn't fit the media criteria for an England manager ...

There are dozens of other 'non-black' public figures who have received heaps of far worse abuse than Stirling got and it wasn't based on their skin colour either ....

Does that mean there isn't an element of race? no it doesn't ... when you look at Stirling he's obviously a 'black' man, in reality that will impact most people's views either pro or con ... but that's an effect of the abuse not the reason for it ...

Does Sterling get more abuse or more support because he's black? probably .... is that abuse founded on the fact that he's black? of course not ... it's because he's a flawed footballer and the media live for exposing flaws ...

What Wright fails to understand is that it is in fact he who is acting racist ... how many times has Wright come out to the media by defending a 'White' man who has received a media savaging? The only reason he's defending Sterling is because of his colour ... doesn't make Wright wrong or a racist, it's just a fact ...

Playing the race card should only be done when race is the primary issue ... with Steling it isn't ... if he wasn't a mega-rich superstar footballer, Wrighty, and 99.9% of us, would never have heard of him, he would never once have been mentioned in the media, and yet he'd still be just as black .... go figure

There are untold incidents of racism in the world today, however giving a pro-footballer of whatever colour abuse for being a bit of a dick, or failing to score goals? that's just not one of them ...

I'm not defending the Sun or the Mail they are a bunch of cunts and should be shut down ... but Wright is just playing their game ... he's part of the media so he knows what's click-bait ... playing the race card to make himself more relevant? that's a pretty low thing to do ....

Last edited:
There's a lot of things that make him an easy target, him having kids as a teen, allegations of battering his girlfriend, the gun tattoo and turning town a huge contract to leave media darlings Liverpool. Any high profile footballer would get bad press over them things.

Edit: and probably most importantly, the fact he never produces for England. The media were on Rooneys back his whole career for similar things

Last edited:
Whether the media's reaction to Sterling's gun tattoo was proportional and/or race-motivated or not (fwiw, I happen to think that any public figure who gets a gun tattoo in the current climate, for whatever reason, risks a backlash), this latest episode appears to me to be unrelated. It was triggered by Wrighty's dismay at Sterling's consistently poor World Cup player ratings. The problem is, two players - one white, another black - scored lower than Sterling, all but rendering his argument moot, in my view.

Sterling received consistently low ratings on the BBC Sport website's Player Rater tool during the World Cup. His average rating was 4.66 - leaving him above only Phil Jones and Danny Welbeck.​
I'd add two considerations to that whole player rating business:

1. Sterling manages to piss off both Liverpool (y u leave us?) and United (fuck off City scum) fandoms, and given their number in the general populace one might imagine that said tribalism could lower his score.
2. Alas, if you play as a forward and don't score (or fluff chances, however you want to put it) it gets a lot more negative attention than almost any other position (goalkeeping howlers aside).

Back
Top Bottom