If Kane goes to City is he still a Tottenham Legend?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Kane a Spurs legend even if he leaves?

• Legend

• Not a Legend

Results are only viewable after voting.
Obviously nobody here wants him to leave, but is looking more and more likely it will happen.

If he does go to City, will he still be a Tottenham legend when he hangs up his boots?

On one hand he will leave us without winning anything, also leaving us in a shitty situation and going to another Premier League rival. However he has been with us for 16 years, boyhood spurs fan, scored 221 goals in 336 games, scored in countless north london derbies as we finally overtook our biggest rivals, didn't jump to leave at first opportunity, top scorer a bunch of times and the main thing I think is that guys like Pat Jennings and Jimmy Greaves both left for rival clubs and are still praised as Spurs legends.

I'm torn, what does everyone think?

Same as Bale.

Will be remembered as somebody who outgrew the club and went on to better things.

Let's just hope that they don't photoshop a photo of him as a kid wearing a Man City shirt and him professing that its his 'dream move' to his boyhood club - just as Bale did with Madrid. 🤮

Yes. Second all time in goals, three time gold boot winner and the best player for us during a revival time under Poch. He will be remembered as a legend but depending how the transfer goes (if it happens) the ending is yet to be determined.

Is he a legend we all still support? Or will he be a legend that turned into a selfish prick to force a move?

Thing is he won't really leave for a rival. If he goes to Man City he's almost guaranteed to be a contender for the PL and ECL. Not even the most optimistic of fans could see us challenging City domestically and we aren't in the ECL.

The term 'legend' is often over used and applied loosely.
According to the club, we have 11 legends - which I will break in to 3 sections;

Legends:
Nicholson: 1x Cup Winners Cup / 1x UEFA Cup / 3x FA Cup / 2x League Cup / 2x First Division / 1x Second Division
Perryman: 2x UEFA Cup / 2x FA Cup / 2x League Cup / 866 games (655 league)
Greaves: 1x Cup Winners Cup / 2x FA Cup / 266 goals (220 league)
-------------------------------------
Club Icons:
Gascoigne: 1x FA Cup
Lineker: 1x FA Cup
Keane: 1x League Cup
Ginola: 1x League Cup
Berbatov: 1x League Cup
King: 1x League Cup
Cult Heroes:
van der Vaart: 2x good seasons
Tull: Played 10 games. 3rd mixed heritage player in the English top flight. Died during the Great War.

For me we have 1 true club legend in Bill Nicholson. I don't expect anyone to get remotely close to him during my lifetime. But Greaves & Perryman not only set club goal + appearance records, but also won multiple honours with us and rightly deserve the title of 'club legends'.
----
Then we have 6 players that won a single trophy with us in a modern era of football. I would regard these as 'club icons' rather than legends.
---
Then we have a couple of 'cult heroes' who are there for their own reasons which is another debate really.

Where does Harry Kane fit in here?
Cult Hero as it stands currently. Makes the websites list of legends AFTER he retires, but he's clearly not a true legend like Nicholson, Perryman or Greaves for me.

Depends how he leaves. If he acts a dick and tries to get the club to sell him cheap to City and behaves badly his reputation will still be as an amazing player but not a legend.

If he leaves but shows respect to the club and fans then he will keep his status I feel. A new contract with a buyout clause for next year I feel would be the best thing he could do for reputation. He would still have 4-5 years peak left, leave the following season guaranteed and be loved by the club and fans.

Depends how he leaves. If he acts a dick and tries to get the club to sell him cheap to City and behaves badly his reputation will still be as an amazing player but not a legend.

If he leaves but shows respect to the club and fans then he will keep his status I feel. A new contract with a buyout clause for next year I feel would be the best thing he could do for reputation. He would still have 4-5 years peak left, leave the following season guaranteed and be loved by the club and fans.

Word is he's already gone full Berbatov in the dressing room

If we was sat here discussing this after beating Leicester to the Premier league that season, and after beating Liverpool to the Champions league that night in Madrid, then yes Kane would be a legend, but can you truely be a legend when the team hasn't won anything?

Word is he's already gone full Berbatov in the dressing room

Obviously rumour and pinch of salt and all but that would greatly surprise me. He is supposed to be a Spurs fan and I know he married into a Spurs heavy family (former poster on here Bushhill’s cousin).

If he did that he would trash his legacy no question.

Makes no odds to me

Legend/Not a legend

When he's wearing a Spurs or England shirt I'll support him.... Any other shirt not so much.

It's like any relationship where you get dumped - it would be ridiculous to pine after your ex if she dumped you to move on to better things, so likewise here.

If he dumps us to move onto better things then so be it - I won't shed a tear.

We won't be singing songs about him when he's gone like we do with true legends......

Oh Ledley, Ledley.....

Anyone who forces a move out at the height of his career will disqualify himself from a status of legend, clearly.

He has been a talisman for years, and given us many memorable performances, achievements and goals to celebrate. IF a transfer happens, it happens in a civilised manner, and he behaves respectfully and not like a total sellout, and he does not leave for a deplorable rival in England (any of the big ones except City belong to that group of clubs to me), I will remember him fondly and wish him well.

But he should not be remembered as a legend.

Not won anything. Not all time top scorer or played anywhere near the most games. Not even been our captain. Even without forcing a move, he would have work to do for years before qualifying to be a true legend.

The term 'legend' is often over used and applied loosely.
According to the club, we have 11 legends - which I will break in to 3 sections;

Legends:
Nicholson: 1x Cup Winners Cup / 1x UEFA Cup / 3x FA Cup / 2x League Cup / 2x First Division / 1x Second Division
Perryman: 2x UEFA Cup / 2x FA Cup / 2x League Cup / 866 games (655 league)
Greaves: 1x Cup Winners Cup / 2x FA Cup / 266 goals (220 league)
Club Icons:
Gascoigne: 1x FA Cup
Lineker: 1x FA Cup
Keane: 1x League Cup
Ginola: 1x League Cup
Berbatov: 1x League Cup
King: 1x League Cup
Cult Heroes:
van der Vaart: 2x good seasons
Tull: Played 10 games. 3rd mixed heritage player in the English top flight. Died during the Great War.

For me we have 1 true club legend in Bill Nicholson. I don't expect anyone to get remotely close to him during my lifetime. But Greaves & Perryman not only set club goal + appearance records, but also won multiple honours with us and rightly deserve the title of 'club legends'.
----
Then we have 6 players that won a single trophy with us in a modern era of football. I would regard these as 'club icons' rather than legends.
---
Then we have a couple of 'cult heroes' who are there for their own reasons which is another debate really.

Where does Harry Kane fit in here?
Cult Hero as it stands currently. Makes the websites list of legends AFTER he retires, but he's clearly not a true legend like Nicholson, Perryman or Greaves for me.

If I was to select 11 "legends" of Spurs, probably only 4 of those 11 would be in it.

Nicholson, Perryman, Greaves, Blanchflower, Mackay, White, Hoddle, Jennings, Jones, King, Rowe
The first thing about a legend is when you say their name, everybody associates them with Tottenham, all the others on that list they don't.
The second thing is for a club our size that they actually win things.

Kane if he had another 6 or 7 years elsewhere and won a load of things there would fit into next category down alongside Bale, Lineker, Ginola etc, someone that did well with Spurs, but that wasn't their pinnacle, and what they would be remembered for.

Last edited:
Legends win things for their team. Legends carry entire teams to victory. Legends don't hand in transfer requests to improve their winning chances. Legends force clubs to make drastic changes.

He is world class, but not a legend......... yet

Back
Top Bottom