If Kane goes to City is he still a Tottenham Legend?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Kane a Spurs legend even if he leaves?

• Legend

• Not a Legend

Results are only viewable after voting.
If I see Harry Kane in Stevenage Tescos, I am going to sing him this:

or maybe this version, with a bit of French in it. I know he's a bit of a francophile:

Last edited:
I find it amusing that we all piss and moan about the lack of ambition at the club, but then turn on a man who is Spurs through and through because he sees the same lack of ambition that we are all aware of and wants to actually win some silverware.
Something that he won't do at Spurs unless we start acting like a big club, which isn't going to happen under ENIC who aren't interested in anything but top 4.

At the end of the day the power still lies with the club, he's got three years left, selling him further illustrates that ENICs only concern is getting top dollar on the asset and selling him at his peak.

ENIC remains the problem, not Berbatov, not Modric, not Bale, not Carrick, not Kane.

Direct your ire where it belongs.

He also dragged them nearly to the title afterward so it was obviously settled.

I guess the same as Keane, Sheringham and Bale coming back - it’s like they’re back where they belong (sort of). You forgive a lot as a fan.

Yeah, most probably cease being disgusted by them after they return no doubt, back on the same side after all, but hardly the stuff of legend. Not for me anyway, maybe I'm harsh but not sure why we should give a shit about these players with no loyalty?

Fans are held to a much higher standard than players as it is, but to not have them go down in the estimation after pissing off to greener pastures mid contract? Meh, each to their own but that feels unreasonable to me.

Things maybe different if he'd scored a hattricks in all those finals and wanted to try Spain or whatever, but unfortunately that's not the case. I don't hate the guy as it doesnt seem to be about money like Gerrards agitation was and I think everyone feels let down by Levy's utter failure to capitalise on our best ever player, so there is some understanding there, but the guy hardly deserves a statue (which feels like a good yardstick for a legend), such talk is ridiculous imho.

I find it amusing that we all piss and moan about the lack of ambition at the club, but then turn on a man who is Spurs through and through because he sees the same lack of ambition that we are all aware of and wants to actually win some silverware.
Something that he won't do at Spurs unless we start acting like a big club, which isn't going to happen under ENIC who aren't interested in anything but top 4.

At the end of the day the power still lies with the club, he's got three years left, selling him further illustrates that ENICs only concern is getting top dollar on the asset and selling him at his peak.

ENIC remains the problem, not Berbatov, not Modric, not Bale, not Carrick, not Kane.

Direct your ire where it belongs.
From my perspective this is the answer to a slightly different question, this question is about whether he would be considered a legend or not, NOT whether he enters the Judas scale by leaving, two different things imho.

People can understand his wanting to leave but for me it takes away the chance for legendary status. He is reportedly demanding to leave in the middle of his contract and take his 'prime' years elsewhere, hardly heroic is it?

Yeah, most probably cease being disgusted by them after they return no doubt, back on the same side after all, but hardly the stuff of legend. Not for me anyway, maybe I'm harsh but not sure why we should give a shit about these players with no loyalty?

Fans are held to a much higher standard than players as it is, but to not have them go down in the estimation after pissing off to greener pastures mid contract? Meh, each to their own but that feels unreasonable to me.

Things maybe different if he'd scored a hattricks in all those finals and wanted to try Spain or whatever, but unfortunately that's not the case. I don't hate the guy as it doesnt seem to be about money like Gerrards agitation was and I think everyone feels let down by Levy's utter failure to capitalise on our best ever player, so there is some understanding there, but the guy hardly deserves a statue (which feels like a good yardstick for a legend), such talk is ridiculous imho.

Yeah brilliant post. Superbly scripted. 100% agree.

his stats make him a spurs legend without winning anything. one of our best players this millenium. just like modric, bale and berbatov the club have let him down by not having adequate quality out there with him.

levys biggest fuck up was not building around modric, he was our best ever player imo and he proved it by doing what he did at madrid around better players, madrid dont win one of the champ leagues without modric bossing the midfield...levys biggest ever fuckup there imo

From my perspective this is the answer to a slightly different question, this question is about whether he would be considered a legend or not, NOT whether he enters the Judas scale by leaving, two different things imho.

People can understand his wanting to leave but for me it takes away the chance for legendary status. He is reportedly demanding to leave in the middle of his contract and take his 'prime' years elsewhere, hardly heroic is it?
I disagree, how can he not be a legend?
He's 3rd in the list of all time Spurs goalscorers. He has hurt his own career by staying with us because he clearly desperately wanted to win trophies with us, which has meant he has cost himself trophies, as he gave us probably two seasons more than he had any right to given the direction the club has been moving in.

I just think that people claiming he isn't a legend are being a tad bitter about the whole thing and will come around to his legend status given the fullness of time.

Let's not forget that other Spurs legends also left the club, Hoddle went to Monaco for a pay day, Gazza to Lazio, Dave Mackay went from Spurs to Derby.

Legend status is largely subjective anyway.

But for me he's done enough twice over to be a Spurs legend, its not his fault he's been held back by the lack of ambition at the club and players who aren't good enough around him.

cult hero as multiple golden boot winner, sure .... legend for being a part of the tittle challenging team that finished third in the two horse race... doesn't really have the same ring to it....

I'm clutching at this straw. Remember when Rooney said he was going to jack it in at Man Utd unless there was more commitment in the club? Then he signed a new contract.

I know it's a paper straw and it will probably fall apart, but currently it still sucks in my head.

If Kane goes to Man City then he is a money grabbing so and so with a whiff of self interest above any moral stand point. He will not be a legend.

If Kane goes to Man City then ENIC and Levy are putting money above sporting interest and can never again claim otherwise.

If Kane goes to Real Madrid / Barca I will wish him well, feel as I do about Hoddle and still blame ENIC.

If Kane goes to Man City then he is a money grabbing so and so with a whiff of self interest above any moral stand point. He will not be a legend.

If Kane goes to Man City then ENIC and Levy are putting money above sporting interest and can never again claim otherwise.

If Kane goes to Real Madrid / Barca I will wish him well, feel as I do about Hoddle and still blame ENIC.

Interesting.

He ain't going to Barcelona and Real Madrid won't be buying a bloke who is nearly 28. Much more likely they try and tempt Mbappe.

Absolutely a Spurs legend. 2nd top goalscorer in Spurs history, that alone qualifies him. And if you made an all-time XI he'd probably be playing upfront alongside Greaves, the only player who scored more for us than Kane.

People putting Ginola up there with him ffs, have a word with yourselves.

Nonsense.

He's reportedly on £250k a week at Spurs, it's got nothing to do with money grabbing or morality, the man wants to win the big trophies.

He looks around the team and sees the likes of Dier, Sissoko, Winks, an over the hill Toby, Doherty ffs...
You honestly expect him to stay with that shower of shit?
He's already sacrificed probably 2-3 top trophies to stay here as long as he has.
He clearly loves this club, you could see that in his face when he choked up doing the lap after the last home game.

The way I see it is he loves the club but he knows the club is going nowhere fast, its like being married to an alcoholic, you might love them but they are never going to change, so you either leave or let them drag you down with them.
Perhaps a tad melodramatic but it is what it is.

I'm undecided.

In one way I think going to City would be worse than when Teddy went to United (but obviously nowhere near Judas levels) because we really were shit and he had no bond with the club.

Kane is good enough to have success here if we want to, but that's the whole Levy question.

I suspect 15 years from now when he's sat in a studio gushing over his love for Spurs we will all feel very different.

Nonsense.

He's reportedly on £250k a week at Spurs, it's got nothing to do with money grabbing or morality, the man wants to win the big trophies.

He looks around the team and sees the likes of Dier, Sissoko, Winks, an over the hill Toby, Doherty ffs...
You honestly expect him to stay with that shower of shit?
He's already sacrificed probably 2-3 top trophies to stay here as long as he has.
He clearly loves this club, you could see that in his face when he choked up doing the lap after the last home game.

The way I see it is he loves the club but he knows the club is going nowhere fast, its like being married to an alcoholic, you might love them but they are never going to change, so you either leave or let them drag you down with them.
Perhaps a tad melodramatic but it is what it is.
Don’t agree. If he goes to City then his motivation is not sporting merit. That vile club should not even be in the Champions League at all this year or next. One day, our moral compass might bust with Chinese ownership or similar, but until it does I won’t give one bit of respect towards City or any player that opts to go there.

Don’t agree. If he goes to City then his motivation is not sporting merit. That vile club should not even be in the Champions League at all this year or next. One day, our moral compass might bust with Chinese ownership or similar, but until it does I won’t give one bit of respect towards City or any player that opts to go there.
Only way City don’t win everything is if Poch is their manager...

(Too soon?)

Don’t agree. If he goes to City then his motivation is not sporting merit. That vile club should not even be in the Champions League at all this year or next.
His motivation is 100% sporting merit.
He wants to win trophies.

Is all the money in football at clubs like City, Chelsea etc good for the game? No, I'm against it. But that's a totally different argument.

Any top sportsman or competitor in life is going to want to go where they can compete for the big trophies with the best players.

I don't understand how you can expect him to stay with a club that finished below West fucking Ham and will be mocked next season playing in the Europa conference, we can't even qualify for Europa these days let alone the CL and you expect him to stay? why?

Back
Top Bottom