If Reguilón signs, a move to 3-5-2 is best option

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Reguilón doesn't sign, I request the admin to delete this thread. Otherwise, here goes:

Towards the end of last season, we had some success with the 4-4-2 formation, especially against Woolwich and Leicester. In my opinion if we sign Reguilón, a 3-5-2 will be an overpowered version of that 4-4-2.

1. It will allow Doherty and Reguilon freedom to both attack. This attack from wing back will also possess great versatility and variety, as Reguilón is a good crosser of the ball and can deliver assists, while Doherty can time runs into the box and score goals. Doherty is RWB proven from Wolves.

2. If Son and Kane did okay in a 4-4-2 with Sissoko and Lucas as the wingers, they will do even better with the supply from this 3-5-2. As well as wing backs, supply from GIO LO CELSO will be key. As the most advanced CM in the 3-5-2 he would be given a licence to play in a more creative role, turning his promising displays from last season into ones that contribute goals and assists.

3. If Bale comes, some may be keen on having 3 up front. However, given the injury record of Kane and Bale, and the packed schedule we face, I think a more realistic option is rotating 2 out of those 3 for most games.

Lloris
Tanganga Dier Sanchez
Doherty Ndombele Hojbjerg Reguilón
GLC
Son Kane

Lloris
Toby Dier Tanganga
Doherty Hojbjerg Celso Reguilon
Bale Kane Son

Or we would set up in a modified version

Lloris
Doherty Toby Dier Davies
Bale Hojbjerg Celso Reguilon
Kane Son

With Doherty pushing on and we defend as a 442 which Mourinho seems to like

If Reguilón doesn't sign, I request the admin to delete this thread. Otherwise, here goes:

Towards the end of last season, we had some success with the 4-4-2 formation, especially against Woolwich and Leicester. In my opinion if we sign Reguilón, a 3-5-2 will be an overpowered version of that 4-4-2.

1. It will allow Doherty and Reguilon freedom to both attack. This attack from wing back will also possess great versatility and variety, as Reguilón is a good crosser of the ball and can deliver assists, while Doherty can time runs into the box and score goals. Doherty is RWB proven from Wolves.

2. If Son and Kane did okay in a 4-4-2 with Sissoko and Lucas as the wingers, they will do even better with the supply from this 3-5-2. As well as wing backs, supply from GIO LO CELSO will be key. As the most advanced CM in the 3-5-2 he would be given a licence to play in a more creative role, turning his promising displays from last season into ones that contribute goals and assists.

3. If Bale comes, some may be keen on having 3 up front. However, given the injury record of Kane and Bale, and the packed schedule we face, I think a more realistic option is rotating 2 out of those 3 for most games.

Lloris
Tanganga Dier Sanchez
Doherty Ndombele Hojbjerg Reguilón
GLC
Son Kane

I was almost about to post the same thing; word for word :)

However, where are you going to play Deeney?

Lloris
Toby Dier Tanganga
Doherty Hojbjerg Celso Reguilon
Bale Kane Son

Or we would set up in a modified version

Lloris
Doherty Toby Dier Davies
Bale Hojbjerg Celso Reguilon
Kane Son

With Doherty pushing on and we defend as a 442 which Mourinho seems to like
The first one I think could work. I personally think having a creative player like GLC given licence to attack, which he can do in a 3-5-2, but can't do in a 3-4-3, is more important than starting our front 3 all at once. There's not much point in having a great attack if they don't get supply.
As for your second modified option. Bale and Reguilon as wingers in a 442? That is, if you pardon the pun, a bit left field.

The first one I think could work. I personally think having a creative player like GLC given licence to attack, which he can do in a 3-5-2, but can't do in a 3-4-3, is more important than starting our front 3 all at once. There's not much point in having a great attack if they don't get supply.
As for your second modified option. Bale and Reguilon as wingers in a 442? That is, if you pardon the pun, a bit left field.
The first would defend as a back 5 with 2 Infront then the counter with Celso & the fullbacks ready to break with Bale Kane & Son waiting is deadly

The second was an example of how we could defend, could also be this;

Lloris
Tanganga Toby Dier Reguilon
Doherty Hojbjerg Celso Son
Bale Kane

It just shows that starting formations don't mean anything, when we attack we would use a 343 and defend in a 442 or 523 depending on the opposition

The first would defend as a back 5 with 2 Infront then the counter with Celso & the fullbacks ready to break with Bale Kane & Son waiting is deadly

The second was an example of how we could defend, could also be this;

Lloris
Tanganga Toby Dier Reguilon
Doherty Hojbjerg Celso Son
Bale Kane

It just shows that starting formations don't mean anything, when we attack we would use a 343 and defend in a 442 or 523 depending on the opposition
It's not a bad idea, and I do think against smaller teams who park the bus, Jose should give it a try.

But in games vs top half of PL, and latter stages of Europa, I don't think your suggestion is pragmatic.
If we give GLC licence to attack, and play 2 wingbacks, its' not possible against most competent opposition to also then have Bale Son Kane.
Your formation switches from attack to defence don't take into account the fact transition from attacking to having to defend can be a matter of seconds. If you have a back 3 and only Hojbjerg in CM, it would get cut apart.

I am not sure we have the CB's to play with a back 3 so I guess it is a question of whether it is better to risk that being an issue versus Doherty having to play as a RB versus RWB.

I don't think there is any issue with Reguilon playing LB as far as I can tell Sevilla played with 4 at the back all year long.

For me I think the best 11 guys we have if the transfers go through (with a reasonable formation): Lloris, Doherty, Toby, Sanchez, Reguilon, GLC, Bale, Bergwijn, Son, Kane + probably PEH as he is the closest we have to a DM type, I would prefer Ndombele but he hasn't shown he can do it and that might leave us pretty vulnerable in the middle. I would try to get all of them on the field at the same time. I think for that the best is a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2 with the idea (hope?) Bale can play centrally.

Lloris
Back 4
PEH-GLC
Son-Bale-Bergwijn
Kane

or

Bale-PEH-GLC-Bergwijn
Son-Kane
In the 4-4-2 maybe switch Bale and Son. I personally prefer the 4-4-2 set up although it might have Doherty getting in the space that Bergwijn will also be.

If we are going with the 3 at the back I can't see us going with Dier, Toby and Sanchez as that would leave us very vulnerable to speed. We almost have to have Japhet to make it work I think at least against teams with speed up front. Ideally we could move Dier for a CB that better fits that formation but zero chance we do that.

Ultimately I don't think that we go to a back 3 as our preferred formation as it doesn't fit with Jose's history and it seems to be more to fit Doherty than anything else. I think I would prefer to see the 4-4-2 with Bale up front with Kane and see how that works as it gets our best players on the field. Jose seems to prefer that pivot so my guess is we see the 4-2-3-1 with Moura in for Bergwijn and in the middle and Bale pushed to the outside or GLC in the middle and Winks/Sissoko in the pivot with Bergwijn on the bench.

I am not sure we have the CB's to play with a back 3 so I guess it is a question of whether it is better to risk that being an issue versus Doherty having to play as a RB versus RWB.

I don't think there is any issue with Reguilon playing LB as far as I can tell Sevilla played with 4 at the back all year long.

For me I think the best 11 guys we have if the transfers go through (with a reasonable formation): Lloris, Doherty, Toby, Sanchez, Reguilon, GLC, Bale, Bergwijn, Son, Kane + probably PEH as he is the closest we have to a DM type, I would prefer Ndombele but he hasn't shown he can do it and that might leave us pretty vulnerable in the middle. I would try to get all of them on the field at the same time. I think for that the best is a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2 with the idea (hope?) Bale can play centrally.

Lloris
Back 4
PEH-GLC
Son-Bale-Bergwijn
Kane

or

Bale-PEH-GLC-Bergwijn
Son-Kane
In the 4-4-2 maybe switch Bale and Son. I personally prefer the 4-4-2 set up although it might have Doherty getting in the space that Bergwijn will also be.

If we are going with the 3 at the back I can't see us going with Dier, Toby and Sanchez as that would leave us very vulnerable to speed. We almost have to have Japhet to make it work I think at least against teams with speed up front. Ideally we could move Dier for a CB that better fits that formation but zero chance we do that.

Ultimately I don't think that we go to a back 3 as our preferred formation as it doesn't fit with Jose's history and it seems to be more to fit Doherty than anything else. I think I would prefer to see the 4-4-2 with Bale up front with Kane and see how that works as it gets our best players on the field. Jose seems to prefer that pivot so my guess is we see the 4-2-3-1 with Moura in for Bergwijn and in the middle and Bale pushed to the outside or GLC in the middle and Winks/Sissoko in the pivot with Bergwijn on the bench.
Sorry, I don't think Son, Bale, and Bergwijn in the same team makes sense. If we play 4-4-2 with Doherty and Reguilon as full backs, Bale and Bergwijn as wingers would have to be doing quite a bit of defensive work or we'd be completely exposed out wide. As for your 4-2-3-1, I don't think Bale would work as a CAM.
GLC as part of a 2 man mid isn't ideal either. It means he either stays back, in which case our only creative player can't create, or he leaves Hojberg by himself to protect the defence. Would get ripped apart.

I don't see why Jose shouldn't try Tanganga Dier Sanchez as 3 CBs. Toby has experience but got exposed for pace by Richarlison on Saturday. I think it's time for a younger defence.

Sorry, I don't think Son, Bale, and Bergwijn in the same team makes sense. If we play 4-4-2 with Doherty and Reguilon as full backs, Bale and Bergwijn as wingers would have to be doing quite a bit of defensive work or we'd be completely exposed out wide. As for the 4-2-3-1, I don't think Bale would work as a CAM.
GLC as part of a 2 man centre mid isn't ideal either. It means he either stays back, in which case our only creative player can't create, or he leaves Hojberg by himself to protect the defence. Would get ripped apart.

I have my questions about whether it will work as well I was just trying to get our best 11 players on the field in our starting 11. To be honest as much as I like getting Bale back I think he makes the formation difficult. Having Bergwijn on the bench and playing a weaker play at CM seems to be a waste of talent/value. Also, puts a lot of pressure on Ndombele to be good otherwise it is PEH and Winks/Sissoko in that midfield, ugh.

The 3 at the back seems to be done to accomodate Doherty. Reguilon has played as a proper LB his whole career so even though he is better going forward than defending he has zero issue playing as a FB.

Maybe we could move Ndombele and some others to get a better CM and CB for that formation to help make it work.

I don't see why Jose shouldn't try Tanganga Dier Sanchez as 3 CBs. Toby has experience but got exposed for pace by Richarlison on Saturday. I think it's time for a younger defence.

The reason I wouldn't try it is that Toby is by far our best CB. I don't see the reason to play Dier in there who is much worse and doesn't add any speed, takes away from moving the ball and is terrible when it comes to defensive positioning so would be a poor choice to have setting up the defense. If we are playing Japhet and Sanchez I think we want Toby there to help them out in terms of sliding over when they make a mistake and helping them with their positioning and spotting danger. With Dier he is likely the one out of position himself meaning that the younger two guys now have to constantly be watching out for him and making up for his errors.

I have my questions about whether it will work as well I was just trying to get our best 11 players on the field in our starting 11. To be honest as much as I like getting Bale back I think he makes the formation difficult. Having Bergwijn on the bench and playing a weaker play at CM seems to be a waste of talent/value. Also, puts a lot of pressure on Ndombele to be good otherwise it is PEH and Winks/Sissoko in that midfield, ugh.

The 3 at the back seems to be done to accomodate Doherty. Reguilon has played as a proper LB his whole career so even though he is better going forward than defending he has zero issue playing as a FB.

Maybe we could move Ndombele and some others to get a better CM and CB for that formation to help make it work.

The reason I wouldn't try it is that Toby is by far our best CB. I don't see the reason to play Dier in there who is much worse and doesn't add any speed, takes away from moving the ball and is terrible when it comes to defensive positioning so would be a poor choice to have setting up the defense. If we are playing Japhet and Sanchez I think we want Toby there to help them out in terms of sliding over when they make a mistake and helping them with their positioning and spotting danger. With Dier he is likely the one out of position himself meaning that the younger two guys now have to constantly be watching out for him and making up for his errors.
Fair points all round. I think Toby in the middle of Sanchez and Tanganga could work too. I think the latter 2 will do better with 3 ATB, but hard to predict how it can influence performance. I remember Conte turning Luiz into a solid defender for a season.

As for your first point, I think we're in agreement that getting the best 11 players playing in the starting XI may be difficult. In reality, given our injury record and packed fixtures, I suspect this some rotation, forced or voluntary, will be needed anyway.
I share your thoughts on hoping Ndombele succeeds, as PEH and Winks doesn't fill me with confidence either. However if they're at least solid, and the rest of the team are firing, it could work together.

son kane bale
bergwijn no one moura

lo celso
lamela

ndmobele hojbjerg
sissoko winks

davies tanganga sanchez aurier
reguilon dier alderweireld doherty

lloris
gazzaniga
hart

I think a 3-4-3 is the way to go. Obviously without the ball it would become a 5-4-1 under Jose. Not just the players we have, but one thing from AON is that these players need something different to shock them into change. The same mistakes keep on happening, so maybe a different shape could simulate them to play differently.

-------------------LLoris
------------------ Sanchez
Doherty-----------------------------Reguilon
-----Son GLC Ndombele Dele Bale
-----------------Kane Cavani

I know what your all thinking, but it would be nice to see what Dele can do in an attacking lineup! :tobyarm:

----------------------- -----Loris

Doherty---Sanchez/Tanganga-----Alderweireld/Dier-------- Reguilon

---------------------------- Hojbjerg
-----------Ndombelle/Alli-----------Le Celso

Son-----------------------Kane------------------------------Bale

I think, this should be a starting line up, with the CB's its difficult to choose between them atm - with Ndombelle and Alli form will decide whether they make the team

I like a 343 for the group. A little more responsibility for the wingbacks to help out the midfielders, but I just cannot pass up a front three with Kane, Bale, and Son.

Back
Top Bottom