If Reguilón signs, a move to 3-5-2 is best option

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I do like 3 CBs. It doesn’t work well. If it didn’t work with Toby, Vert and Sanchez when Toby and Vert were in their prime, it’s not going to work here. I think 4-3-3 leaves pockets open unless you have Ndombele on the same wing as Son and Bale on the same wing as Lo Celso, that may mitigate it. But what about a 4-2-3-1 like we have been doing but with a mix up? Lo Celso has great stamina and has good range of passing. Could be our Tiago. I think we’ll need a few different formations.

[FORMATION=4231, Lloris, Doherty, Toby, Sanchez, Reguilon, Lo Celso, Hoijborg, Bale, Ndombele, Son, Kane ][/FORMATION]

Lloris
Doherty - Alderweireld - Sanchez - Reguilon
Lo Celso - Hojbjerg - Ndombele
Bale - Kane - Son​

Not only does that get our best and most talented players on the pitch at the same time, you play a formation that Mourinho is known for.
Yes! All the way. This formation is the reason I can't sleep. Genuinely exciting.

I can't see us pulling off a 3-5-2 without a proper DM.

You are right, Hojbjerg isn't a DM, but at least it (433) makes Hojbjerg's remit far more conducive to his very limited skill set.
Happy to concede I was wrong about us signing a DM, not so happy to see Jose not using him as one though.

What is the point?
Two players in Dier and Hojbjerg who can play effectively as DMs and we keep allowing teams to waltz through us with this hybrid pivot nonsense.

Just chop someone in half sometimes ffs

Having both FB's able to attack - instead of one staying back - will be the biggest difference in terms of tactics. However, I don't think we are going to play with a back 3/5.

In my opinion, we are moving in the direction of a 4-4-2, with Bale playing as a striker next to Kane - a 31-year-old Bale shouldn't have to track back the opposition's LB through 90 minutes; he needs to be tactically protected and I think Jose will do just that.

Sonny will be wide on the left, just like he is now - his positioning without the ball won't change; having Reguilón behind him, however, would allow Sonny to play much closer to the strikers, coming from the left to the inside more often.

Last edited:
EiCYZmVWAAIBju-

That team would defest 3/4s of the Premier League before a ball was even kicked.

Only if we scored 5 or more ... but WTF that team would score 5 or more let's go crazy !!!!!!!

EiCYZmVWAAIBju-

That team would defest 3/4s of the Premier League before a ball was even kicked.

Winks would be much better than Hojbjerg in that system. The system would restrict at least one of the two fullbacks, as we lack a true defensive midfield. As such I would much rather see e.g. Tanganga on the right in defence.

This would be better:
Lloris
Tanganga - Alderweireld - Dier/Sanchez - Reguilon
Lo Celso - Winks - NDombele
Bale - Kane - Son

Let's just face it: Doherty and Højbjerg are mistakes/squad players.

I don't really care what formation we play tbh but at least these 2 signings give us depth and add much needed quality. Hopefully we won't need the lop-sided bollocks that sees all our attacks go down the right while the left-back barely crosses the half-way line.

Am bumping this thread, because after our recent performances I think the argument to move to 3 at the back is even stronger.

Reguilon has been fantastic offensively, but had a few iffy moments defensively. LWB would suit him perfectly.
Doherty is a RWB who has struggled a bit at RB. Aurier would also do better there.

Within a game, we can switch between having a 3-4-3 (Bale Kane Son, front 3) and 3-5-2 (with Kane slightly deeper at CAM, Bale Son up top).
I think the 3-5-2 may suit Bale better. He has lost some of his explosiveness, but sharp finishing may make him an effective striker.

One concern would be this formation means it's impossible to have Lo Celso and Ndombele both starting. However, it appears Jose has already concluded this. (Either because of fitness concerns so he wants them to rotate, or because he thinks more defensive protection is needed).

Am bumping this thread, because after our recent performances I think the argument to move to 3 at the back is even stronger.

Reguilon has been fantastic offensively, but had a few iffy moments defensively. LWB would suit him perfectly.
Doherty is a RWB who has struggled a bit at RB. Aurier would also do better there.

Within a game, we can switch between having a 3-4-3 (Bale Kane Son, front 3) and 3-5-2 (with Kane slightly deeper at CAM, Bale Son up top).
I think the 3-5-2 may suit Bale better. He has lost some of his explosiveness, but sharp finishing may make him an effective striker.

One concern would be this formation means it's impossible to have Lo Celso and Ndombele both starting. However, it appears Jose has already concluded this. (Either because of fitness concerns so he wants them to rotate, or because he thinks more defensive protection is needed).
Unless the occasion (big game, certain opposition) requires, we lack CB option to use 5 at the back as our main go-to tactic. We may risk running our CBs into ground, and left with nobody for the rest of the season. Dier needs to be caution with the hamstring issue he picked up during last international break. Toby is old to play all these games in quick succession. Tanganga is currently out. Rodon is not eligible for EL. Davies is still needed for LB rotation. Sanchez being Sanchez

He stated this week that they CAN both play together once they are both full fit.

Ndombele himself also said this week that he's still not 100% and Gio obviously isn't the way his game-time is being so strictly rationed.

I don't think we'll see it for 90mins in crunch games, but if chasing a goal or against a parked bus then it seems likely sooner or later.

Disagree with this, while it’s a nice option to have I don’t think it should be our primary formation.

In playing a 3 at the back, you’re trying to optimize and emphasize Doherty and Reguilon at the expense of having Bale, Kane, Son up front and Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Lo Celso in the midfield.

For me, it’s crucial when they reach fitness to have those six on the pitch together and I’m willing as a tradeoff to accept some risk in Doherty and Reguilon not being amazing defensive fullbacks.

Disagree with this, while it’s a nice option to have I don’t think it should be our primary formation.

In playing a 3 at the back, you’re trying to optimize and emphasize Doherty and Reguilon at the expense of having Bale, Kane, Son up front and Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Lo Celso in the midfield.

For me, it’s crucial when they reach fitness to have those six on the pitch together and I’m willing as a tradeoff to accept some risk in Doherty and Reguilon not being amazing defensive fullbacks.

Further to your comments:

- We don't have great individual quality at CB, so why field more of them than we need to.
- WH game aside, we're far from leaking goals
- We could actually do with asserting a degree of control over the midfield (as we have done for the last 18months+)... This will in turn protect the back 4.

Fair points. If Jose is willing to put those 6 in the team at the same time, I'd be happy with the 4-3-3.

Further to your comments:

- We don't have great individual quality at CB, so why field more of them than we need to.
- WH game aside, we're far from leaking goals
- We could actually do with asserting a degree of control over the midfield (as we have done for the last 18months+)... This will in turn protect the back 4.
At the moment we have Sissoko in midfield, who is not in great form. I don't feel like he's giving us control. I'd take him out, and put Davies in at LCB.

At the moment we have Sissoko in midfield, who is not in great form. I don't feel like he's giving us control. I'd take him out, and put Davies in at LCB.

...I don't get it; most people are complaining about lack of control of the middle of the park, not that our FBs are able to attack enough.

.....If not your motivations, then to what ends do you want our 4th (or 6th depending one one's perspective!) choice CB brought into the starting XI?

...I don't get it; most people are complaining about lack of control of the middle of the park, not that our FBs are able to attack enough.

.....If not your motivations, then to what ends do you want our 4th (or 6th depending one one's perspective!) choice CB brought into the starting XI?
Give one game of Reguilon and Doherty at wingbacks and people could change their mind. Doherty did great there for Wolves, while Reguilon would be lethal. Look at how well Lamptey has done with that freedom.

Bale isn't in yet fit to play in our first XI right now, so 3-5-2 gives us the option of Hojbjerg GLC Ndombele midfield. With a back 3 we don't really need Sissoko.

As for CB, I'd like to give Rodon a chance to start in the PL as part of a back 3. In fact I'd start him against West Brom next week.

The solution is to start playing our best players, not changing the formation which fits one player, who is our 10th or 11th best player.

A MF with PEH-Lo Celso-Ndombele is what is by far the best option for us. If Lo Celso and Ndombele are not fit enough to play every game then bring in similar players in January who are.

Moura and Lamela can start in Europa and should never see another starting spot in the PL as long as Bale and Bergwijn are healthy.

Dier is complete garbage but going to play so not worth addressing as Jose will never drop him.

Reguilon has been great, by far our best signing. He is among, if not the, best LB's in the league. He is a true FB and there is zero need to move him to LWB, as he has zero issues playing as a traditional LB.

A move to a 3-5-2 means we are taking off better players to put worse players on. That makes little sense.

Back
Top Bottom