If the season isn’t completed........(Now with Poll)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If the season isn’t completed.........

• Declare the season null and void

Votes: 131 65.8%
  • Finish the season no matter how

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • End the season in the current positions

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Award the league and champions league to Spurs.

Votes: 34 17.1%
  • Stop Liverpool being crowned champions just for a laugh.

Votes: 49 24.6%
  • Give all the prize money to Billy.

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Well I guess I am saying void next season. Just finish this one. With full crowds and the usual scenarios.

Not some half baked plan to play all games behind closed doors at the the FA HQ in Staffordshire or whatever the plan currently is?
Would you feel the same if it was us and not Liverpool leading the PL?

Trying to be as fair minded as possible I can see Liverpool’s point. If we can we should finish the season but realistically the window to do it becomes smaller and smaller. Had we not had a “break” there might have been some resilience but we are where we are

Trying to be as fair minded as possible I can see Liverpool’s point. If we can we should finish the season but realistically the window to do it becomes smaller and smaller. Had we not had a “break” there might have been some resilience but we are where we are

I agree with that.

If we can we should but we shouldn't finish it just because it's unfair on Liverpool or any other club.
We either play it how it was intended (with fans) or we don't.

It may be tough and yes I would want it completed if it was us, but what we want and what should happen are two different things.

There are only two options: finish the season or cancel the season. Nothing inbetween works because there are teams close to playoff spots who would say that they're being denied the promotion the might have acheived.

We could finish the season but it will not be done by the end of June, even in the best scenario, so the Premier League/Football League need to admit as much now so everyone knows where they stand.

To complete the season will impact further seasons (at least two if not three or four if you add in the balls up that is the Qatar World Cup) so the only sensible choice is to shut down the season now and plan for a hopeful August start for next year, with everyone as they were at the beginning of this one.

I tend to agree with the idea that European competition will be paused next season anyway so it not about us being in the Champs League.

Yes it harsh on Liverpool, Leeds, etc but it not like they had actually mathematically achieved anything and Liverpool are supposed to understand that some things are just bigger than football

Would you feel the same if it was us and not Liverpool leading the PL?

Well it seems TV companies have a cast iron case to have this season finished by the 31/07 to make TV money payable.

So I really do think that all English football leagues will struggle to complete games by then. Not sure how it works if only the Premier League finish their games.

Massive financial implications involved for them so it will be interesting to see what gets sorted out.

From a personal point of view football still remains far down on my list of personal priorities right now so I still think a League trophy tainted by Coronavirus would not be a major concern if it was us in Liverpool’s shoes this season.

Be annoying for sure. Pretty Spursy. But that would be it.

Having a job and my families health is more important than any trophy IMO.
But can imagine there are unemployed orphans somewhere who want Liverpool to win the league more than anything. Which is fair enough.

I would 100% trust Daniel Levy to make the right decision for the players and the fans. Think he already says he wanted it voided (allegedly). Maybe paper talk bollocks.

But I think let’s be realistic and know this season is not being finished anytime soon. So the question is when can it run on till?

At a certain point is it too late to start the next season?

I think that might be the only case I can see. That 20/21 ceases to exist and 19/20 becomes 19/21.

Imagine a 6 month lockdown. The world becomes a very very different place if that becomes the reality.
I agree with this. The season should be finished, even if not until, say December 2020 or later. Why is next season more important than this? Selfishly, we will have a chance of top 4/5 still, with Kane and Son back.
The only reason to abandon this season is to start the next on time, yet there's no guarantee we won't have to go into lockdown again during next season and ruin that one too.

I agree with this. The season should be finished, even if not until, say December 2020 or later. Why is next season more important than this? Selfishly, we will have a chance of top 4/5 still, with Kane and Son back.
The only reason to abandon this season is to start the next on time, yet there's no guarantee we won't have to go into lockdown again during next season and ruin that one too.
Where it gets really complicated though is with player contracts. Many players have contracts ending in June. If the League were to go to December 2020 (or later), as you suggest, what would the situation be for someone like Jan?

He is out of contract in June. Let's say the leagues all agree though player contracts run through whenever it takes to complete all the sames, and again let's use December. Does Jan get the same wage from July to December that he would have had? Or is that wage pro-rated (i.e. decreased) with December as an end date in mind?

Obviously the transfermarket adds another wrinkle in. Does it get delayed until whenever the season is complete, or does it go ahead in the summer? If it's the latter, then wouldn't certain teams get a massive advantage by getting to bring in another round of players? Couldn't a team like Leicester be unintentionally punished if their stars leave in the summer before the season is up?

You also have a coordination problem across leagues. What if the virus comes back in say Spain this next winter and La Liga is not complete but the other major European leagues are? Do all the other leagues wait for Spain to finish, or is there an arbitrary end point for the Spanish league?

Obviously some of these problems exist no matter when the current season is ended, but the player contract aspect is the massive barrier.

There needs to be a statement issued with a cut off date, if we can safely begin the season before that cut off date we complete the season. Otherwise its voided.
If they put such a statement out people can mentally prepare.

If it is voided is it unfair on Liverpool, Leeds and a score of other clubs?

Of course. But who said football was fair.

What was fair about us playing our last 16 CL game without Kane and Son? Nothing, its part and parcel of the game.
They didn't mathematically win it , before it was voided so that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Read below. Bin the PL this season. No fcuking brainer.

Players should collectively put 20% of their wages into a slush fund. Fcuk the clubs if they don't want to.

At such moments heroes and villains are created.

-------------------------------------------------

Premier League footballers are living in a "moral vacuum" as clubs furlough staff during the coronavirus pandemic, according to Julian Knight, chair of the UK's Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan added that he thinks top-flight players should "carry the burden".

Tottenham, owned by billionaire Joe Lewis, who has a net worth of £4.3bn, came under fire after saying the club would use a government scheme to "protect jobs".

The north London club announced that 550 non-playing staff would take a 20% pay cut, including chairman Daniel Levy who earned £7m last year.

Brighton chief executive Paul Barber defended the football industry, saying costs have continued while income has "literally stopped pretty much overnight".

"I can fully understand why people think that the football industry and particularly the Premier League has got a lot of cash. In many cases that’s not the case, it’s a bit of a myth," he said.

Back
Top Bottom