If they had been fully backed

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If backed, who would have been most successful

• Redknapp

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • AVB

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Pochettino

Votes: 83 65.4%
  • Mourinho

Votes: 13 10.2%

• Total voters
Mou was past his prime big time, and on top of that he just refuse to see where he makes mistake and improve on them. He is superb stubborn. AVB overrated as hell, and never was really good at first place.

Both Redknapp and Pochettino has done great for us.
That being said, neither of them even backed big time would have won the title.
I still want to see Pochettino taking on a top club in a competitive league and see how he will doing.
PSG is not a measuring stick. CL is not a measuring stick as well.
I believe Pochettino hit his ceiling with us, and he was also very lucky to have a lot of players in their full prime.
Our CL run in 18-19 was extremely lucky. We barely got out of the group stage, and was done due to we win 1-0 against Inter, and lost 2-1 to them.
Then the same thing with City at 1/4 final, as well as super lucky with the disallowed goal and few other situation, incredible luck next round against Ajax, and our luck runs out next round and a terrible final against Liverpool.

There isn't a single season where i can see and say, okay if we have this or that player we would have definitely would won the title.
You can say we were close in 2016-2017, but we actually wasn't. It was Chelsea all over, and not a close one at all, no matter the difference was 7 points.
After that both City and Liverpool become unreachable.

Poch didn't want a DoF and was quite clear on that.

Yeah fair enough but is that why we ended up with players like N'dombele.

For the most part he was a great coach but he lacked in signings and to be fair I don't think it should be his job, other than creating a list of wants.

It seems Poch is the clear winner here guys.

And just to confirm what he was swimming against, this table covers 90% of his tenure

kc.jpg

While dragging his massively under invested team to 4 successive Top 4 finishes culminating in a Champions League final, ENIC were actually making an average annual profit of over £7million a year on transfers!

He's magic, you know

D43N29kX4AI5R5c.jpg

Last edited:
It seems Poch is the clear winner here guys.

And just to confirm what he was swimming against, this table covers Summer 13 to Summer 18 which is 90% of his tenure

kc.jpg

While dragging his massively under invested team to 4 successive Top 4 finishes culminating in a Champions League final, ENIC were actually making an average annual profit of over £7million a year on transfers!

He's magic, you know

D43N29kX4AI5R5c.jpg
I voted redknapp just to be contrarian but I agree. Poch did an incredible job. That 86 point season, where you almost expected to batter most teams was unbelievable. He is one of the reasons I went from a casual football watcher to being a bit obssessed.

Trying to be objective, Poch had his flaws and I always find it hard to judge whether he could have done better. Yes, he had a much smaller budget, but at the same time, he had Lloris, Vertoghen, Kane, Rose, Walker, Eriksen, Dembele already at Spurs, and those were his best players pretty much throughout his whole time at Spurs. Whether we invested a lot or not, we had the best 11 in the league.

He was also a poor manager in terms of organising a defence and seeing out big games. Our record against the big 6 was poor relative to the quality of the team. His choice to put Son at LWB against Chelsea in the cup semi-final was a disgrace. We were also an overly emotional team, better than rolling over but too often we'd lose our heads when things went wrong.

I also feel he was at fault for that Juve loss in the CL last 16. We lost to a Dybala goal made possible by the high line, and Sanchez being Sanchez.

Also, eventually when Levy did cave to his demands, we got Lo Celso and Ndombele, which were definitely his first choice, two of the biggest flops in the club's recent history and big reason for the subsequent struggles under Mou and Nuno.

Harry deserves way more credit than he gets for tactics. Examples… the 2-1 win over Chavs at home is the most complete performance I’ve ever seen from a Spurs team. ‘The’ game at City we slowly strangled them. The whole tie against Milan was tactical genius. He also kept things clear and simple and played to players’ strengths. A good rule for any line of leadership and work. The football before the FA and court case fucked him around was just stunning. Fuck the hypothetical shit bollocks debate - that team was utter class.

Edit: anyone voting for Mourinho with any vague degree of seriousness is an utter moron. Hoofing high balls to the big fella lone striker Lucas Moura? Cancel the creativity and flair of Dele? Egotistical moronic dictator. Jerking off over Winks at breakfast with Levy. Fuck off.
That 2-1 win over Chavas at home, I still remember they got 2 men sent off. But somehow we wasted a few good opportunities to extend the lead. Then they scored back 1 goal at last. That was really frustration. Even though the foramtion was still 4-4-2, Harry adopted a more disciplined approach at that game. (more or less had the same setup in previous game against woolwich ).

Poch didn't want a DoF and was quite clear on that.

One of his shortcomings really.

I chose Poch but I think it's more about the other managers than it was about him exactly. There's no doubt that he wasn't backed sufficiently at all and he did an amazing job considering that. He could have had more and a longer run of success with a strengthened squad, but I do think that Poch was also fairly inflexible in how he would allow us to play, and I think we would have maybe seen the same ultimate result.

I do think that Levy knows he screwed up as well not backing him, and is at least a part of his decision making with Conte.

It's Harry by elimination, not merit really.

AVB's problem wasn't players or tactics, he couldn't get the squad onside. His downfall was alienating players, he proved that at Chelsea where he had loads of talent.

Poch got a lot of the players he wanted, and he's proven at PSG that he can't win even with some of the greatest talent in the world. If he can't do it with Mbappe and Messi, why do we think he'd have done it here with Grealish?

Mourinho "properly backed" could have brought in some high priced names, but he proved at United that he was mostly past it. He continues this endeavor today.

Harry with a blank chequebook would've won us a couple cups I'm pretty sure.
Sorry, but that's asinine analysis, or naive at best.
In Redknapp's tenure the gap between the financially doped clubs and the chasing pack was not as pronounced as it is today, so any reasonable investment in fit and talented players as opposed to crocks and bargain bin has-beens would have stood a better chance .
Dismissing Poch using PSG as a metric is your biggest error, as the issues there are not down to managerial or footballing philosophy but having to build a cohesive unit out of players who have to perform carrying their agents and pr consultants on their backs, alongside their egos.
AVB was all about footballing philosophy and tactics, he was dire. His game plans made your eyes bleed and his use of players was like watching a mechanic loosen nuts with a hammer and undo screws with spanners.
Mourinho is a chequebook manager with the interpersonal skills and man management approach of a crocodile. His ego has outstripped his relevance.

It's Harry by elimination, not merit really.

AVB's problem wasn't players or tactics, he couldn't get the squad onside. His downfall was alienating players, he proved that at Chelsea where he had loads of talent.

Poch got a lot of the players he wanted, and he's proven at PSG that he can't win even with some of the greatest talent in the world. If he can't do it with Mbappe and Messi, why do we think he'd have done it here with Grealish?

Mourinho "properly backed" could have brought in some high priced names, but he proved at United that he was mostly past it. He continues this endeavor today.

Harry with a blank chequebook would've won us a couple cups I'm pretty sure.
Redknapp spent at Portsmouth and won the fa cup. He had the ability as a manager. His fucking around with England job meant Levy got cold feet.

Poch for me every day of the week. Consistently there or there about for several seasons - when we needed to refresh the squad it didn’t happen for 3 transfer windows.
By the time we ended up with dead loss signings I think the energy had gone.
The fact that we have the new stadium and are back at the top table is his legacy from working within a very tight budget.
His downfall was not letting a director of football in on the show.
And to be fair, many knowledgable people thought N’bumbler was going to be the dogs bollocks so even that can’t really be held against him imo.
Still grieves me that the lazy fat cunt is still drawing a wage from us whilst pissing his career away on loan.

Most of those were done by Paul Mitchell. When he left our transfer business went to shit until Paratici came in.
This is it, you eoend tens of millions onpkayers and their failure or success dictates your clubs failure or success do it us vital to pay whatever the very best scouts ask and give them control. No point skimping on scouts, it means you waste huge sums off the back of their dodgy advice.

Poch never had anyone like that Mike Edwards guy at Liverpool. His relationship with Klopp is the secret of their success.

I think Poch was relying on scouts rather than a director with a shared vision. I really hope he learns that lesson and comes back one day.

I chose Poch but only just. If he was backed in summer 2018, those new players might have made a difference in the CL final and there were a couple more instances but can't put all the blame on that, he had chances to win trophies and he blew it.

I liked AVB's attitude he took every trophy seriously, Poch and Harry didn't. Harry could have got us a cup or two if we had got someone like Tevez. Mourinho was a spent force when he arrived.

Under Pochettino we developed into a fantastic team but he also had 4 or 5 of the best players in the PL at the time in their respective positions.

Irrespective if being backed that was the truth. He/we won nothing.

Had he been backed a bit more? Hard to say because I think you are either a winner ot maybe you aren't.

I think Pochettino will do very well to get another top job. He should never have taken the PSG one in the sane way he should have sought to sell Rose the moment he opened his mouth. Was never the same drain and that was the first hint of some weakness.

As I've said on many occasions, it was a scandal, that we would regret for many years, that we failed to reinforce this team over two (or was it three?) transfer windows:

Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Rose, Walker, Dembele, Wanyama, Dele (in his prime), Eriksen (ditto), Son, Kane, With Dier, Winks (when he was an England international - and a good player) and Trippier also available.

It's taken six years, several managers and lots of money to get a squad assembled that even starts to resemble the above.

Let's hope Conte can fit all the pieces together - only 49 days to wait!

Poch without question. But I also think Jose could have achieved more if he hadn't joined at such a strange moment in history and with Paratici at his side.

Most of those were done by Paul Mitchell. When he left our transfer business went to shit until Paratici came in.

Mitchell had 3 hits..... 2 of which were tap ins.

Toby & Vic

+ Son

The rest mentioned weren't him.

Back
Top Bottom