if we dont buy big names in the summer...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

so lets say worst case scenario we werent able to buy any new players in the summer.
would our team really be all that bad?

-----------------friedel------------------

walker-----caulker-----kaboul------BAE

lennon-----parker------modric-----bale

------------------VDV--------------------

------------------------saha--------------

bench - cudicini, gallas, dawson, nelson, sandro, livermore, defoe, dos santos.

its no champions league winning team but fuck me its still a great team!!!
add in some decent signings and we really do have a league winning team at least.

we really do need a new striker, can't rely on the ageing Saha and hit or miss JD for our playstyle for long, as impact players yes, but not as starters in the big games.

durbanspur said:
so lets say worst case scenario we werent able to buy any new players in the summer.

add in some decent signings and we really do have a league winning team at least.

I notice you do not see King's playing career continue next year ? It's a good starting XI but the bench is not that strong (not bad but not top 4 winning replacements)

personally

walker-----caulker-----kaboul------rose

------------------King--------------------

------------------------BAE--------------

just pointing out we have a great squad to work with.
a few decent buys and start bringing in the youth
Belgian Spur said:
I notice you do not see King's playing career continue next year ? It's a good starting XI but the bench is not that strong (not bad but not top 4 winning replacements)

i left out a whole bunch of other possible players (king, rose, kranjcar etc)
wasnt on purpose was just trying point out its not a bad starting 11, WORST CASE SCENARIO!!!

If we get back into the CL and don't buy any big names in the summer then it would be a serious wasted chance to take us that little bit further.

But, we have to remember that wages are an issue yet again. So I, for one, am not getting carried away that there will be major signings. If anything I expect maybe some "up & coming" signings rather than big names.

Smoked Salmon said:
If we get back into the CL and don't buy any big names in the summer then it would be a serious wasted chance to take us that little bit further.

But, we have to remember that wages are an issue yet again. So I, for one, am not getting carried away that there will be major signings. If anything I expect maybe some "up & coming" signings rather than big names.
personally I'd rather we do as you point out... I'd rather have some fairly young exciting player that still has the surprise surprise effect on defenders all over. I mean, look what Chicha did last season, and I'd say it's injuries that's the main reason he's not done the same this year (and the much more use of Welbeck, again, this is most likely because Welbeck proved himself when Chicha was injured).

I would have to say that if we start next season with the same squad then we will be worse off. There is one specific reason for this; there is no way the other teams around us won't put up at least one big signing and if City don't win the league then 'rip it up and start again' Mancini would have a lot of explaining to do - perhaps to an entirely new team back in Italy whilst Mourinho takes up the City managers job.

Freudlyuchenko said:
personally

walker-----caulker-----kaboul------rose

------------------King--------------------

------------------------BAE--------------

I was reading that thinking, that fucker has left BAE out and was getting angry. Then I got to the striker and was all like :bae:

[centre]Sell Gio, we have played him once against a league 2 side in the cup.

Keep Bentley :bentley:

Let go of Jenas

Buy a cheap midfielder who can play on the wings.
Buy a 30m+ Striker who scores 30+ a season![/centre]

durbanspur said:

We have a better team than that this season - our first 11 is very good.......but beyond that......

durbanspur said:
durbanspur said:
:harryfacepalm:

In all seriousness though, I think we do have a strong squad and it's just the striker we need. Seem to have been linked with about 8 different strikers and I just hope something materialises. Caulker will be quality in defence if he's eased in, our midfield is the best in the league, and our defence will also be pretty tight with the Kaboul/Caulker partnership. Then it's only Friedel left to replace, so we can all pray Swansea get second-season syndrome and go down, leaving us to poach Vorm.

YidoBuckler said:
I'd rather we signed the right player than just sign a big name for the sake of it.

totally agree with this. what does spending a bucket load of money get you?
hhhmmmmm andy carrol? torres? just cos you spend big doesnt mean you
gonna get what you pay for.
id be more than happy to get hoilett and not hazard, caulker moves in instead of buying vertonghen,
button moves in for friedel, and heck even demba ba instead of remy. (insert any star we are linked with)
we have more than enough talent available at a fraction of the cost.
id be happy to be fighting for 3/4 for the next 5 seasons if it helps the club as a whole
with the new stadium and all in the pipeline.

(although lets be honest we would all love some serious money splashed and a BIG NAME
signing come next season)

Nistelrooy's contact is up in the summer, would he still be able to do a job upfront? Not seen him play in the last couple of years.

Belgian Spur said:
durbanspur said:
YidoBuckler said:
I'd rather we signed the right player than just sign a big name for the sake of it.

id be more than happy to get hoilett and not hazard, caulker moves in instead of buying vertonghen,
you be hating on the Belgians ?

ha ha ha... not at all... seems like it though doesnt it.
i must admit belgium has produced a generation of great players who
seem to be taking over at the moment.

------------Vorm------------
Walker---Kaboul---King---BAE
-----------Parker------------
--------Modric---VDV-------
Hazard----Llorente--------Bale

We'd walk the league!

Back
Top Bottom