If you could sell all our players this month and start again, would you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’d keep Lloris, Romero, Son and Kane. Everyone else can go. I feel like we have a lot of players who are square heads in round holes and are a class below where we need.

The level we're aiming for is top 4 really. Of our squad, who is honestly of that standard? Players top 4 sides would take?

Lloris, Romero, Son, Kane..

Then maybe there's a case for a bunch of players being worth having in the squad like;

Dier, Reguilon, Skipp, Lucas..

Then there's the list of players that probably just aren't up to it and never will be;

Gollini, Emerson, Doherty, Sessegnon, Sanchez, Tanganga, Rodon, Davies, Winks, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Hojbjerg, Bergwijn, Gill, Dele..

For me that's 15 players, over half our squad, that aren't at the required standard we want to be at.

The only thing we have going in our favour is how shit United have been, and that Woolwich, West Ham and Leicester are equally unconvincing.

Yes Please GIF by MOODMAN

With respect it's a daft question I get that people are hacked off and that it feels bad but it isn't as bad as it looks.

We need a few new players and some of our current crop to do better and for a few to be sold.

The key is the right manager alongside the right recruitment at the same time and for it to be part of a 3 year cycle.

The level we're aiming for is top 4 really. Of our squad, who is honestly of that standard? Players top 4 sides would take?

Lloris, Romero, Son, Kane..

Then maybe there's a case for a bunch of players being worth having in the squad like;

Dier, Reguilon, Skipp, Lucas..

Then there's the list of players that probably just aren't up to it and never will be;

Gollini, Emerson, Doherty, Sessegnon, Sanchez, Tanganga, Rodon, Davies, Winks, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Hojbjerg, Bergwijn, Gill, Dele..

For me that's 15 players, over half our squad, that aren't at the required standard we want to be at.

The only thing we have going in our favour is how shit United have been, and that Woolwich, West Ham and Leicester are equally unconvincing.
Seeing that list of shit players ids devastating. It’s spot on sadly.

Its a fun thing to say, particularly after a disappointing couple of matches, but the idea that any club can replace 25 players in one haul with a success rate even close to high enough to improve upon our current state is absurd.

Do we need to turn over this squad over time? Absolutely. But it will be painful in the short term, and its not guaranteed to work. Even City, with unlimited funds, took several seasons to build up to being a better club than we are right now. A total clear out and we'd be lucky to avoid relegation - particularly with how shit we are at scouting.

Assuming there were some parameters that made this possible this is likely the most likely time that I would ever be willing to do it. There are so few players on this team that I would want to keep and most of them are at an age that we should be thinking about life without them anyways.

Players I would want to keep based on sentimentality and quality:

Kane, Son, Lloris

Players I would keep because they are young and good:

Romero, Skipp, Sarr

Players that don't suck but aren't irreplaceable:

Reguilon, Sessegnon, Tanganga, Gil

Players who are talented but don't show it so have little use:

Tanguy, GLC

Players who suck and can get the fuck out:

Everyone else

Thats a depressingly long list but I pretty much agree with all of them for one reason or another (injury proneness, form, suitability to the Conte system, mentality, fitness) except perhaps Gil as hes barely had a chance to show anything. As much as I like Tanganga and Rodon they seem to have gone backwards. Davies is OK but isnt the future, and the rest have all shown they cannot be relied on after multiple chances to do so

Last edited:
In answer to the question.

No.

Mainly as I’m not a 12 year old computer football manager weirdo.

(Nothing against you computer geeks personally. I’m a dead turkey burger magnate. Which is a bit weird I guess ).

I would sell almost all of them. But i have zero confidence they would be replaced with anyone better.

Until the scouting and recruitment failures are addressed (and those responsible replaced) we'll lurch from one fucking shit right-back to another slightly more/less shit right-back.

And repeat ad nauseum for the rest of the squad.

It's not a practical solution, I agree. But I think the idea and the responses show how big a rebuild we have on our hands. It's like a rotten ship and when you cut out all the rot there is so little left that you kida wonder if it would have been better to just build a new ship. We can't do that, it's not an option but it shows how bad things are. Is Conte really going to stay and complete the rebuild? I hope so but it is going to take four windows I think to get to where we need to be.
I said 18 months ago we should sell Kane and Son and use the windfall to completely retool the club, similar to post-Bale and post-AVB. This era has been over since Madrid.

Back
Top Bottom