If you could sell all our players this month and start again, would you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Vlahovic is JUST a tap-in artist (if he signs for woolwich).

some of you people need to get out of cloud cuckoo land
Or just find another team to support

This is never going to be a club full of galactico's

Nobody is asking for that.

A squad full of committed players is all I'm after. A squad which isn't ram full of absolute clowns. As squad that doesn't contain a fucking wanker who wishes to play for City. A squad full of players where one or two are actually capable of taking a free kick, a squad which contains players who are capable of fucking passing a football at pace, a squad which contains players who don't stroll around over two legs of a cup semi final against Chelsea, a squad who don't lose to football teams who have existed for 9 years, a squad full of players who aren't on their fifth manager in three years........................................

I could go on forever.

Nobody is asking for that.

A squad full of committed players is all I'm after. A squad which isn't ram full of absolute clowns. As squad that doesn't contain a fucking wanker who wishes to play for City. A squad full of players where one or two are actually capable of taking a free kick, a squad which contains players who are capable of fucking passing a football at pace, a squad which contains players who don't stroll around over two legs of a cup semi final against Chelsea, a squad who don't lose to football teams who have existed for 9 years, a squad full of players who aren't on their fifth manager in three years........................................

I could go on forever.
see line 2 in my post

Spurs are run by Enic, not a middle eastern oil rich nation or a thieving Russian with money to burn.

ps - but I get your point

I think people should stop writing Gil off so soon.

Also, I think we should ship out two thirds of the first team and replace them with the under 23's for a season. Couldn't be any worse could it?

Also/ or, promise them a pizza party. It worked for Leicester.

Its a fun thing to say, particularly after a disappointing couple of matches, but the idea that any club can replace 25 players in one haul with a success rate even close to high enough to improve upon our current state is absurd.

Do we need to turn over this squad over time? Absolutely. But it will be painful in the short term, and its not guaranteed to work. Even City, with unlimited funds, took several seasons to build up to being a better club than we are right now. A total clear out and we'd be lucky to avoid relegation - particularly with how shit we are at scouting.

It's not a practical solution, I agree. But I think the idea and the responses show how big a rebuild we have on our hands. It's like a rotten ship and when you cut out all the rot there is so little left that you kida wonder if it would have been better to just build a new ship. We can't do that, it's not an option but it shows how bad things are. Is Conte really going to stay and complete the rebuild? I hope so but it is going to take four windows I think to get to where we need to be.

It's not a practical solution, I agree. But I think the idea and the responses show how big a rebuild we have on our hands. It's like a rotten ship and when you cut out all the rot there is so little left that you kida wonder if it would have been better to just build a new ship. We can't do that, it's not an option but it shows how bad things are. Is Conte really going to stay and complete the rebuild? I hope so but it is going to take four windows I think to get to where we need to be.
I said 18 months ago we should sell Kane and Son and use the windfall to completely retool the club, similar to post-Bale and post-AVB. This era has been over since Madrid.

We can still sell them though...
They've lost value though, and we've squandered what could have been a massive advantage we didn't realize was coming - having a pocket of newly acquired cash when the rest of football tightened purses due to a global pandemic. We've also just delayed the inevitable process by a couple of years.

They've lost value though, and we've squandered what could have been a massive advantage we didn't realize was coming - having a pocket of newly acquired cash when the rest of football tightened purses due to a global pandemic.
That's very true but it's still better to salvage some value from them while we still can. We could probably get close to 150 million for both of them if we sold them this summer. In a couple years, we'd be lucky to get 60-70 million for both of them.

The alternative to this would be to go out and do a 200+ million net spend right now while we still have Kane and Son but that's never going to happen.

Anyhow, if we don't end up spending money, Conte is walking, Kane is off, and we're stuck with a 30 year old Son.

That's very true but it's still better to salvage some value from them while we still can. We could probably get close to 150 million for both of them if we sold them this summer. In a couple years, we'd be lucky to get 60-70 million for both of them.

The alternative to this would be to go out and do a 200+ million net spend right now while we still have Kane and Son but that's never going to happen.

Anyhow, if we don't end up spending money, Conte is walking, Kane is off, and we're stuck with a 30 year old Son.
I'm happy to try and maximize them this season with Conte to wring out one more CL appearance and flog the in the summer for whatever we get. Along with a couple more.

It is just depressing waiting for this organization to build back better around Kane, Son and Lloris. They will be in their 50s and we will have bought and sold hundreds of players in the "attempt".

Back
Top Bottom