IFAB to extend five substitutes rule for 2020-21 season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This has been mentioned in a few other thread but its pretty big news so I thought it was worth it's own.

Exclusive: IFAB to extend five substitutes rule to cover all...

Five substitutions per game is a reform that could be here to stay – so how will it change the game?

So I think the genie is out of the bottle on this one and I would be very surprised if it goes back to 3 subs, 18 player match day squads in 2022. We could see some hybrid (4 and 20, for instance), but 5 subs and 23 player match day squads may be the new norm going forward.

This has pretty large tactical and competitive implications and is likely the biggest change the sport, since, well, 1995 when three subs were allowed.

The fact that Mourinho has not taken advantage of this rule now is extremely discouraging. Hopefully this ruling will make him adapt a bit more for these last 5 matches.

This has been mentioned in a few other thread but its pretty big news so I thought it was worth it's own.

Exclusive: IFAB to extend five substitutes rule to cover all...

Five substitutions per game is a reform that could be here to stay – so how will it change the game?

So I think the genie is out of the bottle on this one and I would be very surprised if it goes back to 3 subs, 18 player match day squads in 2022. We could see some hybrid (4 and 20, for instance), but 5 subs and 23 player match day squads may be the new norm going forward.

This has pretty large tactical and competitive implications and is likely the biggest change the sport, since, well, 1995 when three subs were allowed.

The fact that Mourinho has not taken advantage of this rule now is extremely discouraging. Hopefully this ruling will make him adapt a bit more for these last 5 matches.

"Will it change the game...?"

Yeh, Just helps clubs with a bazzilion oil-dollar bench.

Last edited:
If we are going to change things,lets do more.We should be allowed to change kits at half time.
Imagine beating West ham 4 nil at their place them coming out for the restart in clown boots and Ra-Ra skirts? And while they are nervously waiting to kick off,we could be doing the "it aint half hot mum" end credits dance.
I feel it would give us an edge...

I don't mind having 10+ subs on the bench.

But being able to make 5 is silly - especially when it comes to say Man City vs. a smaller club. It's not good from a competitive standpoint at all.

It will probably be a bit like what happened in rugby when they extended the bench. Now it is common to change units simultaneously. Most teams replace the whole front row after 60 minutes for example.

So in football it would probably mean developing coherent units that train together then changing them all at once ... the whole right side, or the whole midfield trio, something like that.

tenor.gif

Burn it!

2020/21 leagues are scheduled to kick off in September, so there won't be a summer break or much of a preseason, so they are using more or less the same reasoning.

Frankenstein's Football continues... :mourcheeks:

I don't mind having 10+ subs on the bench.

But being able to make 5 is silly - especially when it comes to say Man City vs. a smaller club. It's not good from a competitive standpoint at all.

I said exactly the same when this was mooted before the restart. Would love to see the PL adopt the 10 man bench like Italy, but keep subs to 3 or 4 max.

Back
Top Bottom