Iker Casillas

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I dont even care about that. I'm annoyed that he used his platform to make it harder for LGBT footballers to come out.

Well yeah, it's a dick move. But the fundamental point is that there's no joke at all unless you think being gay is something to be laughed at .. which proves the point.

It's incredibly childish & stupid, and yes could make people think twice about coming out in future.

This world changed so much in 10 years. You have to be careful with every word you say. He made a joke he was being sarcastic. Big deal lol.
Except he didn't even say it was a joke at first. I'll translate it into old world imagery for you: during a press conference he says: "I hope you'll respect me; I'm gay" in a serious tone. One of his colleagues also seems to support him. Journos pick it up as real, tons of indignant angry people publicly shout homophobic slurs at the news, a small percentage thinks he has some guts to be the first big name to admit it and maybe the environment will become a little more accepting, as it did over the years with tackling racism. Then after a bit he sends out a dispatch saying it was just a big hilarious joke he made because he was annoyed about the media gossiping around who his girlfriend is. The people who shouted homophobic slurs at him rejoice and double down on the ones who were proud of his (seemingly serious) announcement, and a big footballer coming out is once again considered possible only as a joke, not as something that could really happen.

I'm not particularly angry, just disappointed at how idiotic he was in not considering that writing those words without context would have some PR consequences.

Last edited:
Yeah, with a joke like this all you have to do is ask someone to explain the punchline. What do they find funny about being gay?

Watch them stutter.
I dont even care about that. I'm annoyed that he used his platform to make it harder for LGBT footballers to come out.

What an idiot; he's usually been very considerate of PR but the divorce and subsequent media attention probably shook him enough that he forgot his words have some weight.

A truly hilarious joke, just in time for the World Cup in Qatar :mourpointlaugh:

Back
Top Bottom