Imaginary Match Thread: The NOrTh London Derby: New White Hart Lane; Sunday, 26th April 2020

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, this WOULDA been NLD weekend... I have to say, I normally dread them...
Maybe the ONLY bonus of there not being any football at the moment, is that I don't have that contant sick feeling of dread until it's over!!

That said, I (like everyone else I assume) allowed myself to think about my favourite NLDs of years gone by...

Top 5 are:

1. FA Cup Semi-Final, obviously... LIMBS!

2. The 4-4, just cos it was SO unlikely!

3. THAT Danny Rose debut goal!

4. The 3-2 win at theirs with Kaboul's late goal, and the VdV "shhhh" celebration... pure unbridled joy!

5. ...the only one of my faves that we actually lost, was the one with "Gazza's Sock" goal in 1989/90... maybe cos it was so early in the season, and didn't have as much riding on the result as in later years... but summit about the August sunshine, and the occasion, just made it an enjoyable memory, despite us losing 2-3!

There, those are mine, there are plenty of others that spring to mind, mostly involving Bale and VdV kissing the Granny in the Paxton!
The 1987 League cup semi final at Highbury was marred slightly by the home leg, but still....
The 5-1 Semi in 2008 was much more enjoyable, especially as we went on to win the thing (that always helps!)

Have I missed any glaringly obvious ones?

Enjoy the 'non-game' tomorrow!!

Maybe the ONLY bonus of there not being any football at the moment, is that I don't have that contant sick feeling of dread until it's over!!

That said, I (like everyone else I assume) allowed myself to think about my favourite NLDs of years gone by...

Top 5 are:

4. The 3-2 win at theirs with Kaboul's late goal, and the VdV "shhhh" celebration... pure unbridled joy!

5. ...the only one of my faves that we actually lost, was the one with "Gazza's Sock" goal in 1989/90... maybe cos it was so early in the season, and didn't have as much riding on the result as in later years... but summit about the August sunshine, and the occasion, just made it an enjoyable memory, despite us losing 2-3!

There, those are mine, there are plenty of others that spring to mind, mostly involving Bale and VdV kissing the Granny in the Paxton!
The 1987 League cup semi final at Highbury was marred slightly by the home leg, but still....
The 5-1 Semi in 2008 was much more enjoyable, especially as we went on to win the thing (that always helps!)

IIRC correctly there was also a 5 - 1, with Hoddle out through injury.

Found it, I was wrong, it was 5-0

IIRC correctly there was also a 5 - 1, with Hoddle out through injury.

Found it, I was wrong, it was 5-0

It was Eastertime, Capital Radio ran "Help a London Child". I pledged £2 a goal, and I nearly hit the roof when the 5th goal went it, I jumped so high. We had put up with their taunts of 'we won 5-0 at the Lane' for years, singing it back at them shut them up good and proper. A tenner was a small fortune for me back then, but never so happy to pay up :)

VdV hated the scum - really understood what the NLD meant

And THAT'S where I think the phrase 'intelligent footballer' has a wider meaning!

It's not just about being able to pick out a pass, it's about UNDERSTANDING the club you play for, and just 'getting' what makes the fans tick...

I don't for one minute think Raphael Van der Vaart grew up in Holland hating ArseAnal, but the MOMENT he signed for us, he made SURE he just 'got' it, and embraced it... THAT tells me he's an intelligent footballer!

Ginola 'got it'... Freund 'got it'... even Lewis Holtby got it...

You don't always have to be a talented footballer to be an INTELLIGENT footballer!

Luckily, VdV was both!

Top 5 are:

Normally dread them?? it's the highlight of my year..The first fixture I look out for and make sure I don't plan anything.
Football is not like it used to be, there are only a few fixtures that have that special feeling and this is top of the tree.
I love going to their dump too. It's a special day from the minute you wake up to the minute you go home.

Normally dread them?? it's the highlight of my year..The first fixture I look out for and make sure I don't plan anything.
Football is not like it used to be, there are only a few fixtures that have that special feeling and this is top of the tree.
I love going to their dump too. It's a special day from the minute you wake up to the minute you go home.
Don't get me wrong, I love AND hate the NLD in equal measure... but yeah, I dread them 'cos of the implications of losing, and, having grown up in over two decades of dominance by them over us, I still can't bring myself to 'enjoy' the occasion. Even though, perversely, I do look forward to them coming around... in the feint hope of winning one every now and then!

it's Schrodigers Derby!

Don't get me wrong, I love AND hate the NLD in equal measure... but yeah, I dread them 'cos of the implications of losing, and, having grown up in over two decades of dominance by them over us, I still can't bring myself to 'enjoy' the occasion. Even though, perversely, I do look forward to them coming around... in the feint hope of winning one every now and then!

it's Schrodigers Derby!

I’ve been over to their Gaf many times and left with a defeat but always made sure I enjoyed the day.

It gets the old juices flowing..

And THAT'S where I think the phrase 'intelligent footballer' has a wider meaning!

It's not just about being able to pick out a pass, it's about UNDERSTANDING the club you play for, and just 'getting' what makes the fans tick...

I don't for one minute think Raphael Van der Vaart grew up in Holland hating ArseAnal, but the MOMENT he signed for us, he made SURE he just 'got' it, and embraced it... THAT tells me he's an intelligent footballer!

Ginola 'got it'... Freund 'got it'... even Lewis Holtby got it...

You don't always have to be a talented footballer to be an INTELLIGENT footballer!

Luckily, VdV was both!

That pass for the pen from Benny!!!:mourshock:

The 3:3 under Harry was also quality

VdV hated the scum - really understood what the NLD meant

That was such a good game. The attacking players on both sides were strong that night: Bale, Modric, VDV and Lennon for us; Nasri, Fabregas and RVP for them. Atmosphere was superb. I can still picture the Modric chance at the end from my seat in the North Upper...

:vdvcry:

Back
Top Bottom