Improvements

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its all objective.
I agree, Costa (and others) are very important to them but he hasn't scored in every game. They could cope over a game or two without him- that goes for the others mentioned as well. They do not concede goals, thats the basis of a successful team.

Costas scored 12 goals....take them away, and they've scored the same amount as Watford. You say a game or two.....Kane was out for 7 weeks, and some of that overlapped with Lamela and Toby being injured.

So as I said, take out Costa, Hazard and Luis at the same time, and put Kante at CB, and see how many goals they "dont concede", or indeed score.

Its all objective.

Reverse what you are saying. Kane/Alli would not go into the Chelsea side and start looking world class? Both Costa, has an aggression that kane lacks and Hazard, has experience beyond Allis years and thats the fundamental difference. Chelsea's players are arrogant, annoying, in your face and play together because they know they are disliked by all (the seige mentality).

Yes, remove players from Chelseas and they may suffer.

And the flip side of that is that Hazard, Costa or any Chelsea player at all wouldnt have even seen our bench last season. So while Harry wouldnt get in their team at this second, he may well be up there again by the end of January as he's a proven 30 goal striker. You talk about Leicester....Vardy wouldnt get near their team either this year, yet he'd have walked in 8 months ago.

We are off form with injuries. They are in form, full strength....it doesnt mean that all their players are vastly superior to ours all of a sudden.

Last edited:
how the fuck can the season be a write off? did you expect us to be 10 points clear and cruising in the champions league? you've clearly got no sense of where we've come from if you're saying this season has gone to shit when we're in 5th place and still in europe. A few years ago I'd have shoved my mum down a flight of stairs for that.
I never expected a title challenge, but our attack was such an obvious problem last season and we simply didn't address it. We have too many similar players in attack, they all come deep and receive the ball and very few of them have the technical ability to play the football Poch wants. Son has to go next ssummer, simply isn't up to scratch and I think one of Lamela and Eriksen will leave as well (preferably Lamela for me).

two seasons- its silly when you think about it? all he is doing is playing football. Henrikh Mkhitaryan first season - hes finish yesterday was superb and with so much venom. Where is that urgency in our players . The move, pass, run on goal and power, brilliant goal.

I believe we have reduced the pressing game because we want teams to come out from their deep position and thats thrown our game a little . What do you feel?

We can talk about Mkhitaryan, but the fact is he has played well for one week, and had we signed him for that money, the knives would have been out and hed have been written off 8wks back already, just like Sissoko etc has been.

Our pressing has gone in many games and I dont know why....maybe because the DMs have changed and we've had to be cautious at the back. City and Chelsea first half shows how good we can be, but no idea why we have seemingly stopped.

Costas scored 12 goals....take them away, and they've scored the same amount as Watford. You say a game or two.....Kane was out for 7 weeks, and some of that overlapped with Lamela and Toby being injured.

So as I said, take out Costa, Hazard and Luis at the same time, and put Kante at CB, and see how many goals they "dont concede", or indeed score.

And the flip side of that is that Hazard, Costa or any Chelsea player at all wouldnt have even seen our bench last season. So while Harry would get in their team at this second, he may well be up there again by the end of January as he's a proven 30 goal striker. You talk about Leicester....Vardy wouldnt get near their team either this year, yet he'd have walked in 8 months ago.

We are off form with injuries. They are in form, full strength....it doesnt mean that all their players are vastly superior to ours all of a sudden.
Lets hope it happens and your right?

I never expected a title challenge, but our attack was such an obvious problem last season and we simply didn't address it. We have too many similar players in attack, they all come deep and receive the ball and very few of them have the technical ability to play the football Poch wants. Son has to go next ssummer, simply isn't up to scratch and I think one of Lamela and Eriksen will leave as well (preferably Lamela for me).
I don't think it was an obvious problem last season, we scored freely and created chances. I think people saw there was a lack of pace and cover - which was in most cases addressed by our signings. We seem to be more or less where we were last season points wise, while not playing at our best. Looks like players are lacking form more than anything else.

Another great home performance from us - we also beat Norwich 3-0 at home last season if we're comparing Hull and Norwich so continuing to match results and the table is pretty similar to how it was at this stage last season.

2015/2016:
Played: 16
Won: 6
Drawn: 8
Lost 2:
Goals for: 26
Goals against: 14

1st. Leicester - 35pts
2nd. Woolwich - 33pts
3rd. Man City - 32pts
4th. Man Utd - 29pts
--------------------------------
5. Tottenham - 26pts

2016/2017:
Played: 16
Won: 8
Drawn: 6
Lost: 2
Goals for: 27
Goals against: 11

1st. Chelsea - 40pts
2nd. Liverpool - 34pts
3rd. Woolwich - 34pts
4th. Man City - 33pts
5th. Tottenham - 30pts

It's all part of the most authentic, steady and sustainable project in English football; If Pocchettino had Costa and Hazard or same-level players in the final third, there would literally be nothing between Spurs and Chelsea this season. Kane is the only top-class forward at his disposal; compare that to the rest of the teams in the mix for the title/top 4, who all have numerous quality and/or expensive options in those positions, and it becomes clear exactly how good a coach Pocch is.

Lloris, the first choice back four, Dier (who should always be in the anchorman role for his metronomic, Carrick-esque passing variety) and Dembele is a title-worthy platform. Add any two of Mane, Hazard, Sterling, De Bruyne, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, Ozil, Lallana, Martial into the wide/attacking midfield equation with a decent vice-Kane and Spurs win the league. That's where the upgrades are required, but with Levy unlikely to sanction moves for similar players, so it's going to have to require patience and shrewd transfer strategy, with a perpetual eye out for the next Carrascos and Dybalas.

The next few years will also inevitably see Pocchettino integrate the uber-talented Winks and Edwards, further enhancing the identity that those running the club acknowledge will be key to attaining future success.

There might not be short-term instant gratification in terms of glamour signings or trophies, but there's a lot to be enjoyed about your club's current principled project; the contract renewals and commitment from the mastermind Mauricio prove that this is just the beginning.

2015/2016:
Played: 17
Won: 7
Drawn: 8
Lost 2:
Goals for: 28
Goals against: 14

1st. Leicester - 38pts
2nd. Woolwich - 36pts
3rd. Man City - 32pts
4th. Tottenham - 29pts
5th. Man Utd - 29pts
6th. Crystal Palace - 29pts

2016/2017:
Played: 17
Won: 9
Goals for: 29
Goals against: 12

1st. Chelsea - 43pts
2nd. Man City - 37pts
3rd. Liverpool - 34pts
4th. Woolwich - 34pts
5th. Tottenham - 33pts
6th. Man Utd - 30pts

Another home win. We've had a pretty damn good 2016 at White Hart Lane, I certainly don't remember too many losses besides Southampton at the end of last season. Still unbeaten at home this season and it would be great to go the whole season unbeaten in our last season at the Lane.

As you can see, offensively, defensively and points wise we have improved. Man City and Woolwich haven't - which only works out well for us over the course of the season. Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea have all obviously improved (more so Chelsea and Liverpool). There will be more points dropped from those above us and we'll drop points too but we must remember where out standing is when it comes to money spent as well as how YOUNG this time is. We are still learning.

COYS. Merry Christmas.

So not only are continuing to improve on last season points wise, offensively and defensively, we've just recorded our best calendar year points haul and what a year it has been. Full of emotion, young team, one of the best coaches in world football, some unbelievable performances and results, 80k at Wembley for Champions League and 2017 is going to be even better.

2016/2017:

18 games played
10 wins
6 draws
2 losses
33 goals scored
13 goals conceded
+20 goal difference

1. Chelsea.........46pts
2. Liverpool......40pts
3. Man City.......39pts
4. Woolwich.........37pts
5. SPURS..........36pts
6. Man Utd......33pts

2015/2016:

18 games played
8 wins
8 draws
2 losses
31 goals scored
14 goals conceded
+17 goal difference

1. Leicester.......38pts
2. Woolwich.........36pts
3. Man City.......35pts
4. SPURS...........32pts
-------------------------------
5. Palace...........30pts
-------------------------------
6. Man Utd.......29pts

--

So basically we are STILL improving at an alarming rate. We can't help where we are in the league, that's down to the other teams around us too sadly. But we are 4 points better off this season, Woolwich are 1 point better off, Man City also 4 points better off, Man Utd also 4 points better off this season. Woolwich for me are the ones in trouble out of anyone in the current top 6, they simply HAVEN'T improved as much and have somewhat stagnated.

Tottenham's 4-1 win at Southampton on Wednesday made it three wins in a row to take Mauricio Pochettino's men to within a point of the top four. Adam Bate looks at why the Premier League table obscures the fact that Spurs are still a side on the up...

For the second season in a row, Tottenham are preparing to travel to Watford for their 19th Premier League game of the season. A year ago, there was a real buzz about their exciting young team and a 2-1 win at Vicarage Road took them into third spot in the table.

This time around, they go there with more wins and more points than last season. They have scored more goals and conceded fewer at the other end too. These are the statistics of a side on the up. And yet, Spurs are currently fifth in the Premier League.

Alli double sinks Saints
Dele Alli scored twice in Tottenham's 4-1 win at Southampton

It's an indication of the task Tottenham face in trying to engineer progress under Mauricio Pochettino. While working with a smaller budget than their major rivals, as well as building a stadium in the hope of closing that financial gap, they must keep getting better too.

The problem is that everyone else is attempting the same thing and Spurs do not operate in a vacuum. So when Chelsea win 12 on the spin, it matters. When Liverpool, Manchester City, Woolwich and Manchester United all have more points than a year ago, it stymies their efforts.

promo307230589

Highlights of Tottenham's 4-1 Premier League win over Southampton
As others recover lost momentum, the pressure is on this Tottenham team and affects the way their efforts are perceived, both inside and outside the club. Even modest improvement can spark criticism. Any dip, however brief, becomes a cause for concern.

Harry Kane has not got the headlines this season with some questions over his form, but it was his brilliant header that gave Spurs the lead at Southampton. It was his eighth Premier League goal of the season. Only half a dozen players in the country can better that.

For Kane, read Christian Eriksen, another who has received underwhelming reviews. His corner for Kane's goal was his fifth assist of the campaign. But for Oriol Romeu's deflection that technically denied him an assist for Heung-Min Son's third, he'd be second in the Premier League on that list.

Elsewhere, Dele Alli covered more ground and made more sprints than anyone else at St Mary's in a two-goal display that earned him the man-of-the-match award. The initial fuss over Alli might have died down, but he is on course to better last season's goal tally as well.

Ut_HKthATH4eww8X4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ

Such stories suggest that expectations are rising for Tottenham's talented team. Of course, that was always the way this was going to need to work. Pochettino does not have the resources to bring in ready-made stars of the calibre of the players he has helped to create.

Consider how much it would cost to sign Toby Alderweireld or Mousa Dembele now, let alone Kane or Alli? Instead, Spurs must look to add depth through their acquisitions without being able to promise such signings a starting spot in a fairly settled line-up.

Moussa Sissoko and Victor Wanyama both started against Saints with Vincent Janssen involved from the bench, but they were all bought to supplement rather than star. The contract renewals of the main men might not fuel the fire like transfers, but these are the key to their hopes.

Both Kane and Hugo Lloris have agreed new long-term extensions already this season, deals that will bring continuity. It is encouraging that these have been completed when players could earn significantly more elsewhere. The players themselves see what is happening.

Tottenham's last five seasons after 18 games
Season Played Won Drawn Lost Points
2012/13 18 9 3 6 30
2013/14 18 9 4 5 31
2014/15 18 9 3 6 30
2015/16 18 8 8 2 32
2016/17 18 10 6 2 36

Clearly, they believe they are part of something and in the right place to develop under Pochettino. It reinforces the words of Danny Rose in the summer, surely the club's most improved player, when he explained how the Argentine's coaching was crucial to his form.

"As daft as it sounds, I had never had a manager work on me until Mauricio Pochettino came to Tottenham," said Rose. "It was not until the current manager came that I had anyone who has taken time out to work on me as a left-back and try to help me improve."
Given the team's disappointing Champions League exit and a glance at the Premier League table, it would be easy to ignore these improvements. After all, a side that was targeting the title in the spring now sits outside of the top four after 18 games of the season.

But win at Watford on New Year's Day and Spurs will be on 39 points at the halfway stage and on course for a best ever Premier League points total. That it might not be enough says more about the difficulty of the task ahead of them than it does about the efforts of Pochettino and his players.

CLEAR improvements. This is the best period football I've seen us play..perhaps..EVER in my lifetime anyway. 14 goals scored in our last 4 league games, within that a complete decimation of Chelsea who didn't even look a threat against us. Now let's look at the tables:

2015/2016:
Played: 21
Won: 9
Drawn: 9
Lost: 3
Scored: 34
Conceded: 17

1. Woolwich - 43pts
2. Leicester - 43pts
3. Man City - 40pts
4. SPURS - 36pts
-----------------------------
5. West Ham - 35pts
6. Man Utd - 34pts

2016/2017:
Played: 21
Won: 13
Scored: 43
Conceded: 14

1. Chelsea - 52pts
2. SPURS - 45pts
3. Liverpool - 44pts
4. Man City - 42pts
----------------------------
5. Woolwich - 41pts
6. Man Utd - 39pts

We are NINE points better off than last season. We'd be TOP last season if we had played as well as we had this year. Improvements are for all to see. Unfortunately, the whole league have improved. Everyone else on that table obviously a game less than this time last year so if Woolwich fail to win today, they would be the only team (out of the CURRENT top 6) to have performed worse than last season.

I think Man City away will be a big test and a win for us would REALLY start to get into peoples minds that we are the real deal. You still see the doubts in EVERYONES mind but Spurs fans. It's still a 3 horse race between City, Liverpool and Chelsea despite us CLEARLY out performing Man City this season. Liverpool and Chelsea obviously been two of the best teams this season so it's understandable why they're being touted as the title contenders, both obviously much improved on last year too but to neglect Spurs from any title talk when the performances and league table confirms that we clearly are is just awful.

Last edited:
Great team. Hopefully Nkoudou has more time as his speed could be invaluable and Janssen starts to adapt to the Prem. In terms of signings we need either star quality or maybe massive potential young player like Dier or Alli, there is no point signing good players anymore who will just sit on our bench, we need great players.

So if Isco was available and he probably won't be then him and maybe some other English kid who can become our next Dier or Alli, otherwise it's just wasting money buying right now.

This team can, and will, be improved. Through time. Kane's 23. Dele is 20. Wimmer is a baby for a CB, as is CCV. Give them a couple more years we will see marvels. None of these guys except Hugo, Jan, Toby, and Mousa are at their best yet.

I disagreed with you appearing to call the previous poster a negative fuck when there was nothing negative about his post.
Ahhh... well I was disagreeing with the original poster of this thread...who is Totti Totti ...who i'm pretty sure doesn't give a shit one way or another what I think.... so why should you?

We're 2nd... having just beaten a team we've drawn with 1-1 on the past 3 previous occasions...
I'D SAY WE'RE MAKING SOME PRETTY DRASTIC MOTHERFUCKIN' IMPROVEMENTS!!!

or do you disagree with that as well matey-boy?

Oh pipes Art Vandelay Art Vandelay StuG StuG ...I haven't seen you much on here before you all suddenly piped up and chose to disagree with my comment that there wasn't much need for improvement on our current team ... so i'm calling it...
y'all Gooners much?

Back
Top Bottom