In Search of Kane's Replacement

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Trying to do like for like will be a massive step down so we should change the approach.

In Son and Bergjwin we already have two "wingers" who are able to float across the front line. I think any striker we sign needs to be of this mould. Ings fits the bill of a striker who can do a job on the wing.

Properly coach movement and get plenty of rotation in there along with an aggressive press.

I don't think we should go for a classic number 9 unless it's a plan B a la Llorente/Wood/Big Vin.

So either we sign two wing/forwards e.g. Ings and Daka types or we go Ings plus Wood as a plan B.

Personally I think we have to be looking to sign two first teamers so I would go the first route and forget the plan B for now. We are not yet ready to rely on Bergjwin to start and Dele should be sold or used as rotation next season but they can be the back ups for now alongside Lucas and Bale.

I'm not too enthused on Bale but it could be worth keeping him around for one more season while we transition away from Kane and use him to put the shit teams to the sword but go for a high energy front line against the best teams. He's still good for 15 goals a season.

Lloris
New RB - Toby - New CB - Reguilon
Skipp
Lo Celso -- New CM
Daka -- Ings -- Son
I think we need 3 new first team signings if Kane was to stay and 5 if he goes.

We really need to push the boat out and get a top quality RB and CB. A decent defence could transform us.

A new creative CM will be needed if we lose Kane's creativity. Ndombele is the enigma and doesn't seem to work with PEH and Lo Celso in a 3. I'm getting less confident by the day that he will deliver for us.

Skipp, Lo Celso and PEH isn't very creative but looks energetic and balanced and could make us more solid against the better sides.

If we get a decent manager in and are ruthless with our business this summer the picture could look a lot rosier come August. Football moves fast.
I'd probably go for one fluid striker and one target/plan B type. It is always good to have options.

He is a meme but what about Benteke as that bench option? He knows the league, is in London already, his contract has expired and he has like 9-10 goals which is his best tally in ages. Or someone in that style, a tall, strong veteran that can act as a target.

Get a younger, hungrier name to build around. And someone like Benteke to be a veteran option off the bench.

ESPN has solved your problem.

:bergwijnconfused:

I actually like Abraham.

But here's the thing: while you are playing against Pep's City and the likes of PSG and Bayern in the Champions League, joining Chelsea absolutely does not guarantee Kane trophies. And it will completely ruin his legacy here.

It's way too risky to join a club we hate, who hate us and him and not even be sure you will win titles. The same goes for United (in terms of title guarantee) which is why I see City as the only viable domestic option.

If we sell Kane to City then I’d demand Jesus, Ake and money. Then sign Ings and Daka as well as we need to revamp half the squad.

Jesus, Ings, Son, Daka as options up front.

Be good to get some younger hungry players in, I'm not as well versed as many about who is best suited for us but Vlahovic is a good finisher, pretty fast and a real nuisance. Daka has to be one of the quickest players around ... he is so quick he gives you that edge in getting to balls others can't nicking in front of defenders etc.

Ings is also from my perspective a pretty unreal striker, very technically sound and such a good finisher (remember the opening goal he scored against us at the start of the season?).

Interested to read others suggestions.

I really like Isak from Sociedad, got a feeling he may be going to Madrid this summer though, he’ll be the real deal soon enough
Benzema is one of the only world class performers in Real's team; so I doubt they would spend money on a striker (have bigger problems elsewhere, such as midfield). Meanwhile Barca seem to be getting both Aguero and Depay on a free, and will struggle to offload Griezmann.

The only good news for this search for a promising young striker is that Madrid/ Barca won't be competition, and that many clubs are broke.

I don't know about Transfermarkt, but I think it's highly unlikely that Turin newspaper would make such misstatement.
The article says also (quite obviously) that talks with his agent are already ongoing and next week they will meet

Benzema is one of the only world class performers in Real's team; so I doubt they would spend money on a striker (have bigger problems elsewhere, such as midfield). Meanwhile Barca seem to be getting both Aguero and Depay on a free, and will struggle to offload Griezmann.

The only good news for this search for a promising young striker is that Madrid/ Barca won't be competition, and that many clubs are broke.
I still think Madrid could afford him and he plays really well every time he plays against them. Think they might go for him as a long term replacement for Benzema this summer, maybe loan him back to sociedad

Back
Top Bottom