In Search of Kane's Replacement

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would rather we get some young talent in and start again , we already have the likes of Skipp and Sessengon, this squad has stagnated for to long now, I’m happy for a few seasons of mid table as long as we show we are building again for the future , get rid of the likes of winks , sissoko and Dier and Dele and give me 11 hungry players (queue Ndombele joke) who actually want to show some fight and put some effort in!

I would rather we get some young talent in and start again , we already have the likes of Skipp and Sessengon, this squad has stagnated for to long now, I’m happy for a few seasons of mid table as long as we show we are building again for the future , get rid of the likes of winks , sissoko and Dier and Dele and give me 11 hungry players (queue Ndombele joke) who actually want to show some fight and put some effort in!
Do you know what,if the scenerio you describe happened,it would probably rekindle my interest,some what.

He is a meme but what about Benteke as that bench option?
Black And White Reaction GIF

Danny Ings and Ivan Toney? Everyone will be a downgrade. Spend the money on a quality centre back, right back, right wing and all round midfielder. The fab 6!

Do you know what,if the scenerio you describe happened,it would probably rekindle my interest,some what.
Yeah i think it would for me as well, i just dont trust Levy to get rid of all the deadwood! I would much rather watch 11 youngsters turn up and give it there all then watch some over paid wankers going through the motions as they think they just need to turn up to win!
Lets give the likes of Rodon, Skipp, Clarke and sessegnon a chance to show us what they can do, through in a few others such as Bamford and Eze and who knows, look how good frank Lampard got Chelsea playing when they had the transfer ban, granted it will likely be a painful few seasons but will it be any worse than the one we have just witnessed?

Yeah i think it would for me as well, i just dont trust Levy to get rid of all the deadwood! I would much rather watch 11 youngsters turn up and give it there all then watch some over paid wankers going through the motions as they think they just need to turn up to win!
Lets give the likes of Rodon, Skipp, Clarke and sessegnon a chance to show us what they can do, through in a few others such as Bamford and Eze and who knows, look how good frank Lampard got Chelsea playing when they had the transfer ban, granted it will likely be a painful few seasons but will it be any worse than the one we have just witnessed?
No it wouldn't. I could take that.

Vlahovic or Isak plus Jonathan David from Lille. He took a while to adjust to the French league this year but has bags of potential. Can come short or play off the shoulder of the last defender and he’s a busy bugger in the press. Also been fielded as a wide attacker.

Last edited:
Ings is 29 next month - no way would Levy sanction him as our main option
1 year left on his contract. If the player really wants to join us and no-one else it will a Hojberg situation again and we will get Ings for 15-20 mill. The saints are fucked financially

Toney is very impressive. Brilliant finisher but he is more than that, great awareness, team player, in many ways he is similar to Kane in the way he plays. My only issue is why has it taken so long for him to come good. Failed up at Newcastle when they didn't have any decent strikers, was average at many lower league loan spells, but since joining Peterborough and now Brentford his goal return has exploded.

Plus Brentford sold Watkins for 38 mills just think what they will want for Toney. 40-50 mill???crazy

1 year left on his contract. If the player really wants to join us and no-one else it will a Hojberg situation again and we will get Ings for 15-20 mill. The saints are fucked financially
He's a bottom 5 striker on a good day - is that the best we can do now?

We don't have to replace Kane with a 9. We obviously have to bring in a 9, but my point is the "scoring" and "playmaking" doesn't have to be replaced like for like for Kane. There are few strikers in the world who do what he does at that position.

How old is Calvert Lewin? If he's on the right side of 25, bring him in and invest the rest heavily on central mid/attacking mid, right wing, and CB and RB.

Fuck. We're fucked.

He's a bottom 5 striker on a good day - is that the best we can do now?
He is better than that. The only issue is his previous knee injuries. I'm thinking it might be a wise idea to buy someone who is PL proven and can come in immediately and not need time to adjust to the league and new country etc, like an Ings, but also buy someone younger and big on potential from abroad like an Isak or Daka who would have time to adjust to English football.

There is no-one out there who can single handedly replace Kane and who would be prepared to join us, so we will need to sign two strikers anyway

We don't have to replace Kane with a 9. We obviously have to bring in a 9, but my point is the "scoring" and "playmaking" doesn't have to be replaced like for like for Kane. There are few strikers in the world who do what he does at that position.

How old is Calvert Lewin? If he's on the right side of 25, bring him in and invest the rest heavily on central mid/attacking mid, right wing, and CB and RB.

Fuck. We're fucked.
Calvert lewin is not leaving Everton to join us, total sideways step and tbh Everton have got some heavy backers now and have the possibility to spend big. Also he is an Everton fan iirc

Calvert lewin is not leaving Everton to join us, total sideways step and tbh Everton have got some heavy backers now and have the possibility to spend big. Also he is an Everton fan iirc
Never say never. I've been surprised at who's joined us at times. Everton isn't in the same conversation as the "big 6" yet and players still are driven by that.

Not saying it will. Just saying it certainly could.

Calvert-Lewin has improved his positioning to poach a few more goals but I still only see him as someone who is supremely athletic but has poor technique and finishing (apart from heading). I would be disappointed if we got him.

Back
Top Bottom