In Search of Kane's Replacement

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's had some niggles for Southampton but since leaving Liverpool he's played as much as Kane. I'm pretty sure he's soon out of contract too so unless he signs a new contract, he won't cost anything like as much as they would have otherwise asked for. Personally I'd take him all day long for the right price. He's a proven Premier League goalscorer at the end of the day, and has a great attitude. The likes of Edouard and Daka that have been mentioned are only proven yet in really poor leagues. (Scotland and Austria)

If he is coming in around 20m I would take him as well. but I think he is going to be a ridiculous price like 40m+.

I think we need to look beyond next year if Kane is leaving and Ings beyond next season looks like a terrible option. Yes his knees have been fine since coming to Southampton but do you want to bet on those knees holding up as he gets into his 30's?

If we are looking at someone like Ings, I would rather spend more to get a guy like DCL that has the same proven PL experience but will be good for more than 2-3 years or a more talented guy without PL experience who again would be here longer than 2-3 years.

Ings seems like the typical band-aid solution signing that we need to replace almost immediately after signing that were terrible previously, but at least made some sense when trying to maximize results with Kane here, but now that it looks like top 4 is gone for next year I prefer to bring in guys that can get us back to top 4 not hopefully get us to squeak into 6th.

He's had some niggles for Southampton but since leaving Liverpool he's played as much as Kane. I'm pretty sure he's soon out of contract too so unless he signs a new contract, he won't cost anything like as much as they would have otherwise asked for. Personally I'd take him all day long for the right price. He's a proven Premier League goalscorer at the end of the day, and has a great attitude. The likes of Edouard and Daka that have been mentioned are only proven yet in really poor leagues. (Scotland and Austria)

I'd also consider Chris Wood. Though he wouldn't be a long-term option. But these are the kind of players a Kane and Champions League-less Spurs are going to have to consider.
i would be happy with Ings. we are not going to attract elite players, also Levy and Lewis wouldn’t stump up the money even if we could

If he is coming in around 20m I would take him as well. but I think he is going to be a ridiculous price like 40m+.

I think we need to look beyond next year if Kane is leaving and Ings beyond next season looks like a terrible option. Yes his knees have been fine since coming to Southampton but do you want to bet on those knees holding up as he gets into his 30's?

If we are looking at someone like Ings, I would rather spend more to get a guy like DCL that has the same proven PL experience but will be good for more than 2-3 years or a more talented guy without PL experience who again would be here longer than 2-3 years.

Ings seems like the typical band-aid solution signing that we need to replace almost immediately after signing that were terrible previously, but at least made some sense when trying to maximize results with Kane here, but now that it looks like top 4 is gone for next year I prefer to bring in guys that can get us back to top 4 not hopefully get us to squeak into 6th.
I watch a lot of Southampton and my fear in relation to Ings is that he could be done in 12-18 months. He's always fighting some kind of a niggle. You never know if he's going to feel a twinge and have to come off very early in a game.

With his contract situation you might be able to nab Ings for 15 million. Calvert-Lewin would cost 60 million and then some. Everton have far more money to spend than we do and don't need to sell. Plus Spurs is a side step at best to Everton now as it's a club that has genuine ambition and a top manager.

With his contract situation you might be able to nab Ings for 15 million. Calvert-Lewin would cost 60 million and then some. Everton have far more money to spend than we do and don't need to sell. Plus Spurs is a side step at best to Everton now, a club that has genuine ambition and a top manager.

If its 15m then fine, I think there is no chance he costs that even with his contract. When I have read articles I have seen 30m+ quoted but it can be hard to figure out what is a realistic number or where people are getting their values from.

Edit:

I don't know about a side step and huge questions about whether Ancelloti is a top manager anymore. Seems very much like Jose and that the game has past him by.

If its 15m then fine, I think there is no chance he costs that even with his contract. When I have read articles I have seen 30m+ quoted but it can be hard to figure out what is a realistic number or where people are getting their values from.
To be fair about it, if he is sold for anything less than £25m, I think Southampton will have had their pants pulled down.

To be fair about it, if he is sold for anything less than £25m, I think Southampton will have had their pants pulled down.

It seems like this is the time for them to maximize his value or keep him.

I guess if they think Che Adams is ready to break out maybe they are willing to move on, but I think Adams sucks so for 15m I would likely just keep Ings if I were them.

Ings would be decent if we got another striker in as well.

He is good but as others have said, he is always fighting some form of niggle.

Ings and say Adam Armstrong as a back up/development option would be decent business.

I don't know about a side step and huge questions about whether Ancelloti is a top manager anymore. Seems very much like Jose and that the game has past him by.
He may be a top man manager, but Christ Almighty, his brand of football is grim. I was watching their recent game against West Ham earlier, and they basically parked the bus for the second half. Unlike our shower, they didn't stand there like traffic cones, but it was still wretched stuff.

He may be a top man manager, but Christ Almighty, his brand of football is grim. I was watching their recent game against West Ham earlier, and they basically parked the bus for the second half. Unlike our shower, they didn't stand there like traffic cones, but it was still wretched stuff.

They are 8th now and might luck out with getting City at the end of the season when they don't care so may jump up but to me that is pretty much where you would expect them to finish so I don't see what Ancelloti is doing to make them better.

I also see them play and when James is there they are good, when he is out they suck. I know teams need their talent playing but shouldn't a top manager be able to create offense outside of one or two guys?

It seems like this is the time for them to maximize his value or keep him.

I guess if they think Che Adams is ready to break out maybe they are willing to move on, but I think Adams sucks so for 15m I would likely just keep Ings if I were them.
Hassenhuttl could be in real bother if he goes, because they are mean with their money down there, and their recruitment has been very questionable in recent times. Adams is doing a decent job as a second striker, and works well with Ings, but it's hard to see him becoming a consistent goalscorer. But I think Ings is itching to go. You can tell by his body language at times.

Would be poetic if Scarlett does a Rooney next season.

Agree with many - fast, agile, young(ish), good touch and pass, excellent finisher x2 ideally.

Would be lovely if we signed Daka and Grealish as we had £120 deal with City in place, then Harry fails a medical at City!

Southampton had to sell Hojberg for a lot less than they wanted because the player was intent on joining us and not signing a new contract there which had a year left on it. The same will happen with Ings, if he says he wants to join us and no-one else then Southampton will have to sell cheaply or lose him for nothing next summer. That's the threat and the player and buying club hold all the aces. Ings will be sold for 15-20 mill which is very reasonable imo

That low spend will give us more money to spend on a young striker with potential, Vlahovic, or Isak, or Daka, or Edouard etc

Southampton had to sell Hojberg for a lot less than they wanted because the player was intent on joining us and not signing a new contract there which had a year left on it. The same will happen with Ings, if he says he wants to join us and no-one else then Southampton will have to sell cheaply or lose him for nothing next summer. That's the threat and the play and buying club hold all the aces. Ings will be sold for 15-20 mill which is very reasonable imo

That low spend will give us more money to spend on a young striker with potential, Vlahovic, or Isak, or Daka, or Edouard etc

We need two strikers but for £20-30m Ings is a no brainer a proven deadly striker in this league.

We need two strikers but for £20-30m Ings is a no brainer a proven deadly striker in this league.
Yep. Also Bamford is in a similar contract situation. Not as deadly as Ings but he has improved a lot and seems like the kind of character our dressing room needs right now. However Ings would offer more goals I think

If Kane goes we need 2 decent strikers. Obviously nobody replaces Harry and as much as I would love us to go and splash 150 mil on Haaland, I just know unfortunately this isn’t realistic, so I would be pretty happy with Calvert Lewin and Ivan Tony. Or if his injury isn’t as bad, I would go all out for Jimenez.

Back
Top Bottom