In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m ready to push the reset button again. I would be so happy playing Europa league for the next few years if we had a young progressive manager with exciting ideas that played an aggressive style of football. A clear vision with something to build towards.

I was ecstatic with Poch’s first season even when we missed out on CL. I was happy going in to the following season thinking we would just finish top 6 again, was not expecting to be in a title race.

I just want an identity back. We don’t need to be perfect to start off with, but we have to be building towards something.

Jose has been a terrible appointment, I hope levy has the balls to pull the trigger.
Think we need a Tottenham person. Chris Hughton maybe with Jol as his assistant plus someone who can spot a player who fits the Premier League. Or we could employ the whole of the Lille management team and exchange Ndombele

Last edited:
Like Pochettino?
Still grinds my gears at how Levy thinks success works.

He thought the manager who took us from struggling to get Europa to title challengers and Champions League finalists was the problem, and replacing him with someone is the quicker way to success, rather than backing the manager who got us there.

Still grinds my gears at how Levy thinks success works.

He thought the manager who took us from struggling to get Europa to title challengers and Champions League finalists was the problem, and replacing him with someone is the quicker way to success, rather than backing the manager who got us there.
Sitting 14th whilst getting knocked out by Colchester the man had to go and i'm no Levy fan.

Like Pochettino?
Yes, like Pochettino. Somehow got so close, with pretty much the same bunch of players we saw last night.
But ultimately, he failed. Like those before him, and Mourinho now.
Who is the common denominator who hires and fires all these failures

There won't be any change this summer. If Jose implodes before the end of next season I imagine it'll be a caretaker manager to finish it out. Nagelsmann would be the dream appointment but he's destined for a bigger club. Have a feeling Hassenhuttl will be our next permanent manager.

There won't be any change this summer. If Jose implodes before the end of next season I imagine it'll be a caretaker manager to finish it out. Nagelsmann would be the dream appointment but he's destined for a bigger club. Have a feeling Hassenhuttl will be our next permanent manager.
We are still an attractive proposition if we act quickly, this is what pisses me off. Nagelsmann is primed for a move this summer he will lose most of his best players (werner already gone) and has nothing left to prove at Leipzig.

If we went in hard for him we could get him, but we won’t we will wait until it is too late and sack Jose mid season then be stuck with whoever is actually available and out of a job again.

We should have just gone the caretaker route this season.

It's pretty pointless just bringing in another manager without having a complete overhaul, DOF and Recruitment team. We've got to get a strategy in place about how we want to proceed, rebuild an identity, recruit players and a coach to fit that identity/ethos.

It's pretty pointless just bringing in another manager without having a complete overhaul, DOF and Recruitment team. We've got to get a strategy in place about how we want to proceed, rebuild an identity, recruit players and a coach to fit that identity/ethos.
I can’t imagine why ENIC don’t see this and I’m not even a levy hater. I just don’t get why we haven’t got a proper footballing strategy in place yet, it makes total business sense and he’s had donkey’s years in which to do it.

A good scouting network and transfer philosophy is the only way for a club our size to get any sustained success. A club philosophy is now a must in modern football, managers are important but not the most vital cog in the system..

its extremely frustrating and short sighted that we seem to be making it up as we go along, I hope we wise up quickly.

So to get a top grade manager chances are he will be in employment, employed by a better team than us? Why would somebody at a better club than us leave them and come to us?

If Mourinho is messed about in the summer and next season is as poor then he won’t be sticking around. If Mourinho can’t win us a trophy, it’ll be the only club he hasn’t, and that then only points to one person, Levy.

The next managerial appointment will have to be low budget - an upcoming manager - after they've paid off Mourinho.
Mourinho isn't the manager he was, his tactics are increasingly outdated, but you have to ask - if he was still one of the best managers in the world, without a transfer budget and with an aging inconsistent team, would he or anyone for that matter be able to turn things around?
Spurs have to be honest with themselves now - massive debt, an empty stadium and plummeting revenues with no CL - they are not going to be competitive. We are returning to the 90s - inconsistency, trouble behind the scenes, the odd morale raising win - we've come full circle and from a competitive point of view, this is a side that is going nowhere near the top four anytime soon.
I'm increasingly more concerned about the side collapsing completely and ending up nearer the bottom four over the next two seasons, depending on a worn-out Harry Kane to nip a goal in a relegation dogfight!

Back
Top Bottom