In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are still an attractive proposition if we act quickly, this is what pisses me off. Nagelsmann is primed for a move this summer he will lose most of his best players (werner already gone) and has nothing left to prove at Leipzig.

If we went in hard for him we could get him, but we won’t we will wait until it is too late and sack Jose mid season then be stuck with whoever is actually available and out of a job again.

We should have just gone the caretaker route this season.

I don’t think he will sack Mourinho but I wouldn’t be 100% sure. We have seen levy be ruthless with managers before. Eg. Jol, Redknapp, Ramos

If there’s a chance Nagelsmann will move this summer, Levy/Lewis really see him as the man and they don’t want to miss out on him, they’ll go for him. They won’t give a shit what Mourinho, the wider footballing world or the fans think about the decision.

I don’t think he will sack Mourinho but I wouldn’t be 100% sure. We have seen levy be ruthless with managers before. Eg. Jol, Redknapp, Ramos

If there’s a chance Nagelsmann will move this summer, Levy/Lewis really see him as the man and they don’t want to miss out on him, they’ll go for him. They won’t give a shit what Mourinho, the wider footballing world or the fans think about the decision.
I hope you are right. This is one of the few situations where I would welcome levy’s ruthlessness.

Jose Mourinho‘s reputation will still count a great deal you’ll get players wanting to play for him irrespective of he’s the manager of.

I agree. I think a lot depends on the last 6 games. If we carry on as we have been and only win say 1 or even 0 of the remaining fixtures that will be only 1 or 2 wins in the last 15 fixtures. It doesnt matter who you are or your reputation, no manager at any big club would survive that. Win 3 or 4 with better perfomances then i'd imagine he'll likely stay but as you say if they are fixated on a target we know how ruthless Levy can be. I wouldnt be shocked if they had put the feelers out already.

Sitting 14th whilst getting knocked out by Colchester the man had to go and i'm no Levy fan.

Agree with this.

Pochettino was spent. He had lost so much of what he came with and it's more than possible that were he here now we would be in the bottom 3. We were performing that badly. He needed to go away and recharge.

I have no idea what the answer is. It certainly isn't just money. That is just simplistic tripe.

It's also too easy to look solely at Levy and see him as the issue. I mean come on. Look at the players we have had in the last 5 years. Some of these are close to top notch.

The problem and who knows for sure is that none of our players perform consistently. Certainly none inspire. None lead and worse, none seem to hurt when we lose.

Mourinho was expected to bring a mental toughness that Pochettino nearly got to but not quite. We expected organisation. Apart from an initial boost he has done nothing that I feel a low rate Championship manager could not have done. Surely even Mourinho would see his few months with us as being an abject failure thus far.

We have very little at present in any facet.

Last edited:
It's pretty pointless just bringing in another manager without having a complete overhaul, DOF and Recruitment team. We've got to get a strategy in place about how we want to proceed, rebuild an identity, recruit players and a coach to fit that identity/ethos.

The identity was there last season (CL finalists), and, for the two perhaps three seasons that preceded it.. ( the best footballing side in the country), the problem is not the manager but the slap-head big boss and his American money buddies.

Jose is a mistake- as big a mistake as Newcastle United sacking Chris for a higher profile name..... where has it got them? No, It’s not about managers, it’s about getting shot of Daniel and his Yankee rugby football. clowns

I agree. I think a lot depends on the last 6 games. If we carry on as we have been and only win say 1 or even 0 of the remaining fixtures that will be only 1 or 2 wins in the last 15 fixtures. It doesnt matter who you are or your reputation, no manager at any big club would survive that. Win 3 or 4 with better perfomances then i'd imagine he'll likely stay but as you say if they are fixated on a target we know how ruthless Levy can be. I wouldnt be shocked if they had put the feelers out already.

I just feel sorry for Poch and Mourinho. It is so obvious we need a clear out of players. Nothing will happen positive until that happens. They both know. I don’t want us to go back to changing the manager every year though. It’s one reason why I want to give Mourinho more time and see what he can do with a set of players not burnt by important defeats and staleness at our club.

whoever our manager is/will be they all have the same probelm
we need RB, 1 maybe 2 CH's, LB, DM, backup CF,
we have not had a true DM since Wanyama got injuried,
Poch never used the backup CF so why would a good join us under Poch
Davidson will never be a CH, he fouls to often, and play a pass out of defend (Dier can't pass either)

It feels like Mourinho is going to get nothing out of this squad and that we’ll be looking for a replacement within the first 10 games of next season. I’m not sure who we can appoint that can get the most out of this squad if Pochettino and Mourinho can’t. Pretty much no matter who it is, we will need to blow up a significant portion of this squad and rebuild. It’s done as an elite football side that can compete in Europe and the Premier League. I assume that rebuild will not be this upcoming summer, best case it starts January 2021 I guess.

I’m not sure who you trust for that, Nagelsmann is a hot name but they also completely bottled a shot at the league. The Red Bull system of developing players throughout Europe and shifting them to Leipzig is not exactly one that we can replicate. Does he have what it takes to rebuild a team that can compete with the best in England?

What Levy needs to ultimately decide is how he wants Spurs to play and build the club around that philosophy. It will make identifying managers, players, etc. much easier too.

I was surprised at Mourinho's appointment but supported it and believed he should be given time. The Sheff Utd fiasco has put massive doubts in my mind. No point changing until the end of the season and he has these 6 matches to show he can be successful. The close season will be short and Levy needs to make his mind up quickly and be decisive if it is to be a change. I will wait and see how these 6 matches go.

I was surprised at Mourinho's appointment but supported it and believed he should be given time. The Sheff Utd fiasco has put massive doubts in my mind. No point changing until the end of the season and he has these 6 matches to show he can be successful. The close season will be short and Levy needs to make his mind up quickly and be decisive if it is to be a change. I will wait and see how these 6 matches go.
not great. players have given up now

not great. players have given up now
Well he is in trouble if that is the case. I cannot understand players giving up before they start a match. I am too old to play now but when I did play even in the playground at school would always want to win. It is something that is ingrained in you and if it is not there is something wrong and you should not be playing competitive sport.

The Answer is to bring back Poch with Diego Armando as his number 2.
As soon as the players get complacent Poch can unleash The Perfect Ten.
The only problem is Levy won't shell out for a step ladder for Diego to put the nut in.
I guess he can just punch them in the balls with the Hand of God.

The identity was there last season (CL finalists), and, for the two perhaps three seasons that preceded it.. ( the best footballing side in the country), the problem is not the manager but the slap-head big boss and his American money buddies.

Jose is a mistake- as big a mistake as Newcastle United sacking Chris for a higher profile name..... where has it got them? No, It’s not about managers, it’s about getting shot of Daniel and his Yankee rugby football. clowns
'best footballing side in the country', did we get an open top bus parade for that title as I think I missed it?

Poch had the tools, he failed massively to use them and that was why (quite rightly) he was sacked.

Still grinds my gears at how Levy thinks success works.

He thought the manager who took us from struggling to get Europa to title challengers and Champions League finalists was the problem, and replacing him with someone is the quicker way to success, rather than backing the manager who got us there.
I might be wrong but I'm not sure if any of our ex managers went on to be more successful in their next jobs. Leaving Tottenham was a step down or either no other club would touch them. Can't say the same for our ex players tho

He isn't getting sacked. He's making an insane amount of money. We are still paying Pochettino. I legitimately doubt we could even afford his pay off. It'd be 50m+ easily. Perhaps as high as 70m.

I might be wrong but I'm not sure if any of our ex managers went on to be more successful in their next jobs. Leaving Tottenham was a step down or either no other club would touch them. Can't say the same for our ex players tho
Christian Gross?

Basel
  • Swiss Super League: 2001–02, 2003–04, 2004–05, 2007–08
  • Swiss Cup: 2001–02, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08

Back
Top Bottom