In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some would celebrate it, but for me Poch missed his big chance. I don’t see a big new gig for him with loads of trophies anywhere to be honest.
I just see him slipping into obscurity, maybe after a failed attempt at Utd.

Blew one of the best teams on the league this decade but he’s magic so many would welcome him back. Never seen a manager elevated to such an undeserved status.

Doesn't matter who we get, won't change a thing.
Ii think is applies to owners as well. If/when Enic sell up, anyone expecting any new owner to invest millions of their own money are deluding themselves. Unless we are taken over by an oil state of course.

In the whole history of football there hasn't been a single owner who's done that without it being a loan and looking for their money back in some way.

I could (hope) I'm wrong but I just can't see it happening.

Ii think is applies to owners as well. If/when Enic sell up, anyone expecting any new owner to invest millions of their own money are deluding themselves. Unless we are taken over by an oil state of course.

In the whole history of football there hasn't been a single owner who's done that without it being a loan and looking for their money back in some way.

Choice is probably between:
(a) Levy or someone like Levy, who uses a (in his case very) cautious, low risk approach to trying to make money. TBF I think Levy would love to win us the league or CL but his main concern is the financial.
(b) Another owner who wants to make money but uses a less cautious approach. Could get us silverware but if it goes wrong we could end up in a much worse situation.
(c) An oil state or oligarch, though I think oligarchs would be priced out of buying us nowadays.

Is there any owner that doesn't fit into one of those categories?

My least favourite option would be C. I favour A over B but it is infuriating at times.

The truth is mate, the only people that think Levy is doing a good job at this point are our own supporters who are blinded by the stadium and infrastructure.

Everyone outside of the club thinks ENIC are good from a business perspective and making a profit but utterly turgid when it comes to the football side of things.

One league cup in 20 years is undeniable evidence of that as well.

Sure other top six club supporters moan about their owners as well but that moaning comes from a place of entitlement because they have all actually seen their teams win some sort of silverware in the last decade, the other top six clubs would not take ENIC as their owners based on the trophy haul we have had under them, we act like other clubs are envyous of us in the top six because of our infrastructure, guarantee supporters of other clubs would take trophies over stadiums .

We have a genuine reason to complain because we haven't seen success in 20+ years under the same ownership, this is why our complaints differ from the entitlement other clubs in the top six have.

This is why I keep saying, nothing is going to change under these owners, doesn't matter who comes in to manage us, unless the transfer policy dramatically changes and the focus is on the football and success on the pitch we will remain the way we are, failures.

Last edited:
The truth is mate, the only people that think Levy is doing a good job at this point are our own supporters who are blinded by the stadium and infrastructure.

Everyone outside of the club thinks ENIC are good from a business perspective and making a profit but utterly turgid when it comes to the football side of things.

One league cup in 20 years is undeniable evidence of that as well.

Sure other top six club supporters moan about their owners as well but that moaning comes from a place of entitlement because they have all actually seen their teams win some sort of silverware in the last decade, the other top six clubs would not take ENIC as their owners based on the trophy haul we have had under them, we act like other clubs are envyous of us in the top six because of our infrastructure, guarantee supporters of other clubs would take trophies over stadiums .

We have a genuine reason to complain because we haven't seen success in 20+ years under the same ownership, this is why our complaints differ from the entitlement other clubs in the top six have.

This is why I keep saying, nothing is going to change under these owners, doesn't matter who comes in to manage us, unless the transfer policy dramatically changes and the focus is on the football and success on the pitch we will remain the way we are, failures.
TBF, you've hit the nail on the head re transfer policy.
Ours is shocking. It's due to levy taking a no risk policy imo.
We do spend, just not in the right areas or the right players.
130m spent on average players in the last year (lo Celso) excepted.
Instead of getting 1 or 2 top quality we buy 4 or 5 average ones.

Mourinho may already have overstayed his welcome. Whether that’s the case or not, the general consensus seems to be, Mourinho is a short term fix. On that note I’ll just leave a list of some of my current favourites. I don’t think Poch should be our next manager, but I like him, so he made The List:

Rank I
Julian Nagelsmann (RB Leipzig)
Marcelo Bielsa (Leeds Utd)
Mauricio Pochettino

Rank II
Marcelo Gallardo (River Plate)
Jesse Marsch (RB Salzburg)

Rank III
Arne Slot (AZ Alkmaar)
Marco Rose (Borussia Mönchengladbach)

Rank IV
Ivan Juric (Verona)
Graham Potter (Brighton)
Gian Piero Gasperini (Atalanta)

Rank V
Erik Ten Hag (Ajax)
Roberto De Zerbi (Sassuolo)

Other options, who could be released by their clubs this summer for different reasons, Quique Setien (FC Barcelona) and Stefano Pioli (AC Milan).

It’s an understatement that I’m no fan of Mourinho’s approach to the game. I never wanted him here, still don’t want him and I want him gone NOW!

I would like us to emulate what Man Utd did with OGS. 4 games left it basically nothing for a new guy to show anything, and there’s virtually no time between the games (except the last one) to implement new ideas.

Never the less, me being a romantic, I want us to go and knock on the door at Ferencvaros, offer them a symbolic fee to let us pull Sergiy Rebrov out of his holiday and loan him until we’ve played our last game. Give the man a chance to redeem himself at the club, and if he shows just a little spark of anything, he could have his name in the hat this summer. For all of those who think it’s important with a manager who’s won things, Rebrov would tick the box.

Rebrov was assigned as Caretaker Manager on 17th of April 2014 at former club Dynamo Kyiv. On 19th of May, after Dynamo won the Ukrainian Cup for the first time in five years, Rebrov was appointed as Manager. In the 2014/15 season Kyiv won the League (undefeated) and the Ukrainian Cup, which saw them win the double for the first time in 8 years. It was also their first League Title in 6 years. Doesn’t sound like a long dry spell, but just to add some context, prior to Rebrov’s appointment, Kyiv finished outside of the top 2 for the first time since the Ukrainian League was established in 1992.

Rebrov stayed at Kyiv for the 3 years as agreed in his contract. In that time he won 2 League titles, 2 Ukrainian Cups and 1 Ukrainian Super Cup.

After a short spell with Al-Ahli, Rebrov signed with Hungarian side Ferencvaros in 2018, where he’s won 2 League titles.

Serhiy Rebrov: the Dynamo Kyiv legend overtaken by darkness, now charging into the light

His time as part of the backroom staff at Dynamo was an apprenticeship that would lead to a successful managerial career thus far, with the former striker displaying many of the skills he had learnt from his days playing under the great Valeriy Lobanovskyi. He took control of the Dynamo first team in 2014 and delivered a Ukrainian Cup victory in his first term, then a league and cup double the following year. Dynamo then retained the title in the 2015/16 season and lifted the Ukrainian Super Cup. In the same season, he also guided the club to the knockout stages of the Champions League. It was the first time Dynamo had reached that stage of Europe’s premier club competition for 15 years. His success led FourFourTwo to name him amongst their top 50 managers of the year twice in succession.

Would you consider Sarri ?

ENIC will not change, they bought Spurs for one reason - to make a bumper profit, winning trophies has been secondary. At least Scholar wanted to win trophies - ok the guy was a crook, and he borrowed money from Maxwell to buy Lineker, and in many ways he had the right vision that football was going to become big business, except he was too early and took too many shortcuts in his business dealings.
ENIC on the other hand will find they may fail to not just win trophies, but to make a profit, as who is going to want to buy the club, with so much debt, stadium issues, etc. I'd like to see someone with big bucks buy the club for a £1, and for ENIC to make f-all from their investment.

No

I find Juventus boring to watch. Also feel it was criminal moving the worlds best 6 to 8 in order to fit his favourite into the system

The Jorginho/Kante thing did feel counter intuitive, and I've felt a bit about some of the decisions he's made at Juve, To present a case for his defence, he's a very idiosyncratic coach, very methodological. The last two high profile clubs he's managed he's gone in after very different tactical predecessors. And at Napoli he did also do some clever things (like choosing not to spend the Higuain money on a like for like, spending it on weaker areas and converting Mertens to a kind of false 9 to great effect).

I'd take him personally. But you have to give a coach like that time - in the same way we did with Pochettino - and the right environment.

I see Juve are being linked with Pochettino.

The Jorginho/Kante thing did feel counter intuitive, and I've felt a bit about some of the decisions he's made at Juve, To present a case for his defence, he's a very idiosyncratic coach, very methodological. The last two high profile clubs he's managed he's gone in after very different tactical predecessors. And at Napoli he did also do some clever things (like choosing not to spend the Higuain money on a like for like, spending it on weaker areas and converting Mertens to a kind of false 9 to great effect).

I'd take him personally. But you have to give a coach like that time - in the same way we did with Pochettino - and the right environment.

I see Juve are being linked with Pochettino.

I did like the way his Napoli team played and agree it was smart business placing Mertens as a striker. His Chelsea and Juve never amused me like Napoli. He's made some changes but I don't know how deliberate it is. If I'm remembering it right, he was bemoaning the influence of Ronaldo. He wasn't able to play the way he really wanted, cos he needed to suit the tactics for Ronaldo. I might be off, so fogueres fogueres would be the one to answer that question.

I have no problem giving a manager time as long as there seems to be a bigger plan. I could easily take a couple of seasons of midtable finishes if it was the beginning of a sustainable future. I don't know what the plan is with Mourinho, and his way of playing the game is just not for me. Maybe the only one I wouldn't wanna give time.

Poch was doing a bit of flirting with Juve back in the day, so he would be likely to take the job should he be offered. Probably doesn't get a better team than that if the objective is solely trophies.

That squad was thin as paper. Very strong starting 11 but our bench was no where near title contending status. Juggling CL and the title got to us since we got fatigued. That's on Levy, not poch.
Spot on, sadly. We have never had a squad of depth that should be challenging for trophies. You’re talking 50+ games to be getting anywhere near winning anything and needing to be on top form for all of them. Anyone who thinks Poch genuinely had that is an absolute idiot. You need a lot more than a good XI to win things in the modern age.

I did like the way his Napoli team played and agree it was smart business placing Mertens as a striker. His Chelsea and Juve never amused me like Napoli. He's made some changes but I don't know how deliberate it is. If I'm remembering it right, he was bemoaning the influence of Ronaldo. He wasn't able to play the way he really wanted, cos he needed to suit the tactics for Ronaldo. I might be off, so fogueres fogueres would be the one to answer that question.

I have no problem giving a manager time as long as there seems to be a bigger plan. I could easily take a couple of seasons of midtable finishes if it was the beginning of a sustainable future. I don't know what the plan is with Mourinho, and his way of playing the game is just not for me. Maybe the only one I wouldn't wanna give time.

Poch was doing a bit of flirting with Juve back in the day, so he would be likely to take the job should he be offered. Probably doesn't get a better team than that if the objective is solely trophies.

The impression of us Juventus fans is that Sarri hasn’t been in tune with the environment. He is certainly an excellent coach, however it is difficult to impose his ideas in an environment with many top players. Convincing Mertens is easy (before he was considered a half player): it is different to convince Ronaldo. Allegri was smarter: he felt the belly of the team and sewed the pattern like a tailor experimenting after listening to the senators. We speak of Pochettino as after-Sarri. I don't know if it's true. Certainly Sarri's confirmation is not sure: he should win the CL to have 100% ...

ENIC will not change, they bought Spurs for one reason - to make a bumper profit, winning trophies has been secondary. At least Scholar wanted to win trophies - ok the guy was a crook, and he borrowed money from Maxwell to buy Lineker, and in many ways he had the right vision that football was going to become big business, except he was too early and took too many shortcuts in his business dealings.
ENIC on the other hand will find they may fail to not just win trophies, but to make a profit, as who is going to want to buy the club, with so much debt, stadium issues, etc. I'd like to see someone with big bucks buy the club for a £1, and for ENIC to make f-all from their investment.
ENIC are not taking the Profits out of the club. Yes they are an Investment company and what they have done is grow the value of the club. That has been achieved by building training grounds and stadium which will have increased in value. Also buying players that increase in value. Also profits come from increased attendances which come from success and increased TV money which comes from being attractive to TV companies to pick our matches and going further in Cup competitions. Therefore whilst ENIC might not have bought the club to see them win trophies, profits come from being successful although more money is available from getting into the top 4 than winning the F a cup.

ENIC are not taking the Profits out of the club. Yes they are an Investment company and what they have done is grow the value of the club. That has been achieved by building training grounds and stadium which will have increased in value. Also buying players that increase in value. Also profits come from increased attendances which come from success and increased TV money which comes from being attractive to TV companies to pick our matches and going further in Cup competitions. Therefore whilst ENIC might not have bought the club to see them win trophies, profits come from being successful although more money is available from getting into the top 4 than winning the F a cup.
You are right, I used the wrong term with profits, I should have said all along the plan was to grow the value of the club then sell it for a major profit/big exit. They are not as bad as Mike Ashley, who has taken money out of Newcastle, and in credit to ENIC they have put most earnings back into it, but at the same time they have paid the chairman the biggest salary bonus in the ENIC, and some of the stadium debt is owed to Joe Lewis Tavistock Group, so arguably he will profit from that. I think they should have changed the model a couple of years ago and actively injected some of Joe Lewis' millions into building up the squad to win silverwear and consolidate the top four. They didn't - and now the value of their investment, and potential exit, is decreasing by the day. They should have been more flexible and injected some cash.

Daniel Farke.

CreamyWildEnglishsetter-size_restricted.gif

Back
Top Bottom