In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You are right, I used the wrong term with profits, I should have said all along the plan was to grow the value of the club then sell it for a major profit/big exit. They are not as bad as Mike Ashley, who has taken money out of Newcastle, and in credit to ENIC they have put most earnings back into it, but at the same time they have paid the chairman the biggest salary bonus in the ENIC, and some of the stadium debt is owed to Joe Lewis Tavistock Group, so arguably he will profit from that. I think they should have changed the model a couple of years ago and actively injected some of Joe Lewis' millions into building up the squad to win silverwear and consolidate the top four. They didn't - and now the value of their investment, and potential exit, is decreasing by the day. They should have been more flexible and injected some cash.
Mike Ashley put money into Newcastle. Why isn’t he entitled to take some out?

Poch (like AVB before him) was supposed to be the modern version of Mourinho.... young, confident, likeable, worked the Media, and knew what he had to play with...

Unfortunately, unlike Mourinho, he didn't win anything in his first few years at the Top table... and THAT was where he missed out on the 'Special status'.

Now we've got a bitter and twisted Mourinho, angry at everyone, 'cos he's desperate to regain his 'Special' crown, but has long forgotten how to do so.... others have overtaken him, he's been rumbled, and he knows it... thing is, now we're saddled with THAT!

It really is like we've just started dating a 1930's Hollywood beauty on her deathbed... and wonder why we can't 'get it up'.... THAT HOLE closed long ago!
(sorry for bad taste analogy!)
Don’t think Poch was meant to be the new Mourinho at all - very different managers and people

I think Graham Potter is doing some good work at Brighton, I would keep an eye on him, a possible option in 2/3 years time.

Also kinda like his down to earth, no-nonsense attitude.

Last edited:
The fact is German coaches are leading the way at the moment and evolving the game. All other countries are playing catch up. Obviously Nagelsmann is a clear talent, Marco Rose too. I'd even look at Rangnick, who's like the Godfather of German coaching.

My concern with Hassenhuttl is watching Southampton this season against the better teams they have looked very weak in the middle of the field. So I would want to find out if that is more of a player issue with Southampton's limitations or a formation/tactical choice by him that leaves the team vulnerable.

I also thought his defensive tactics against us were terrible in our game this year but that may have just been a bad game from him that he has adapted from.

First thing I'd do is get on the blower to Ralf Rangnick, primarily with the idea of bringing him in as DOF to oversee a root and branch overhaul of everything from top to bottom, but the bonus is he's a pretty good head coach too.

Only one man for the job.
Atkinson%2C_Ron.jpg

Whoever is lucky enough to manage this club I support but I did ask this just over a year ago.

I still hope it's moot but Mourinho either has to change his ways a tad or ensure his message is being translated on the pitch.

His post match comments either talk of schism, frustration or feeling pressure.

I expect a reaction from the players but it might also reveal quite a lot if we lose to Fulham or Leeds.

Big few weeks for Mourinho in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom