In your lifetime-Will Tottenham win the EPL...?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ive watched Tottenham since the early 80s cant remember the late 80s where we were in the running for a season,so the last couple seasons have been the closest in my lifetime,but you had that feeling it wasn't to be so a new season has started very much like the last two...slow! Is it ever gonna happen?

If we keep this bunch of players then yes.

If we start seeing a few go then it would be a struggle unless we replaced each one with an upgrade, but that's easier said than done.

If we were in the new stadium and this was our second season there, I honestly think we'd win the league..
We won't get close as the whole Wembley experience is turning into a disaster.

If we keep this bunch of players then yes.

If we start seeing a few go then it would be a struggle unless we replaced each one with an upgrade, but that's easier said than done.

If we were in the new stadium and this was our second season there, I honestly think we'd win the league..
We won't get close as the whole Wembley experience is turning into a disaster.
Not a disaster, we beat Dortmund, and did not lose against Swansea so I think we will get use to Wembley.

I think yes the Premier league will crash and burn at some point and clubs will go bust so a level playing field will eventually be restored I expected to live between 35 and 50 years

We're very close to winning it, and all without throwing vast sums of money around and buying established superstars.

This year will be a blip I fear with the Wembley factor. If we can keep the squad together and Levy has a serious stab at addressing our 'creative' shortcomings in attack then we'll have a pretty good chance in our new stadium.

We're very close to winning it, and all without throwing vast sums of money around and buying established superstars.

This year will be a blip I fear with the Wembley factor. If we can keep the squad together and Levy has a serious stab at addressing our 'creative' shortcomings in attack then we'll have a pretty good chance in our new stadium.
Creative shortcomings in attack??

You do réalisé we had the highest goal diffèrerence last season?

First sniff for me was 81/82 season we were in it till Easter but a 2-2 at home to Sunderland started a downward spiral.
Next was 84/85 the year of the save (Southall) Went top on New year's day after beating the other lot 1-2 Mark Falco winner (god bless him)...Won at Anfield first time since 1912..every thing looked like it was coming together but Neville F@#king Southall made the save of his life to earn Everton the points at WHL. To be fair they had a great team and would have won the European Cup if it wasn't for the ban.
86/87 with "Davy Pleats 11" strange season played brilliant football all year but just switched off at critical times in games.
I will never forgive Pleat for getting rid of Roberts.
In 92/93 we lost the semi final to them
but the next match was against Norwich who were going for the title and we walloped them 5-1 so giving us great hope for the next season's campaign....Sugar v El Veg and the rest is history.
Last two seasons were very encouraging in regards to the winning it but I doubt it will happen for me I'm 51 and this is my 42nd season so you youngsters are in for a lot of misery ha ha.

We have the manager that is desperate to win us the league. My biggest doubt is whether the hierarchy is willing to match his ambitions.

Wembley curse or not, if the club 100% backs the manager, sky is the limit.

I am going to go with yes.

I do plan on being cryogenically frozen though, so technically that could be 1000s of years
:levyeyes:

Seriously though, we are very close, if we can continue this path we will do it I think. Its going to be fun watching us try whatever happens.

The frustrating thing for me is looking down the list of teams that have won it since us. And seeing the likes of Blackburn, Villa, Derby, Everton, Nottingham Forest, Leiseceter, Leeds etc
The fact we haven't won it in nearly 60 years is scandalous really.
Along with, maybe Newcastle, must be the biggest under achievers in English football surely.

Never know. Look where wanky little clubs like Chelsea and City were in the not too distant past.

Those clubs are the issue, that City can spend £200 million every summer because of a crook for an owner means every season we fight with one hand behind our backs compared to them.

They can afford complete squads, we can't and so we may one day win the title if we keep poch for a good long time but it's going to be very hard.

Really impossible to tell, in the next ten years is all we can look at right now and I certainly think it is possible but it will be tough. In about 30-40 years time though? Who knows.

Yes. We are well run. We have a great new stadium coming, which will increase profile and revenue and allow us to compete with the big boys, and we have a state of the art training ground to keep our players in good order. We have one of the best managers in the league.

If people didn't let themselves get carried away with success and start expecting things too early, they might stop and think that what is happening now is a testament to all the work that has been done to try and move the club in the right direct and the fact that we have steadily improved and peaked earlier shows we are not only going in the right direction but has peaked early and basically played beyond expectation. How many people honestly were sitting there five years ago thinking we'd be Champions Leagues regulars and have fans not only enjoying but expecting title challenges?

I think it will take another 5-10 years and I think there may be some setbacks in that time. But the trajectory of the club since, like them or loathe them, ENIC took over has been one of overall progress, which has always been two steps forward in the long term even when there's one step back in the short term. If that progress continues at the same pace then there is only one way we can go now in the long term. Trophies.

Without serious investment, no.

We are punching well above our weight right now and have over achieved the last two seasons. It's rare that you win the league by over achieving. Leicester aside.

I do however believe we will win the league within the next 70 odd years.

Yes. after our performances at Wembley in the EPL so far, I don't think this is the year.

But next year, the new stadium will be electric.

And as our revenues grow from the new stadium and NFL money, we'll be better positioned to win the league.

Back
Top Bottom