In your opinion what’s the greatest achievement in football?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Being honest and unbiased it was probably West Hams Transfer Window of 2017....Everton ran them close the following season.
Those Deadline Days were memorable, legendary achievements and I hope we can compete this summer.

Feels like a lifetime ago we “won the window” with our Seven Samurais

Dundee United in the early 80s did a Leicester city won the Scottish premier league! Celtic Aberdeen in their pomp under Ferguson and Rangers all be it a poor Rangers! Dundee United did what they had to do won the league and in style beating their city rivals Dundee at dens to clinch the league and only used about 15,16 players the whole season.

Dundee United in the early 80s did a Leicester city won the Scottish premier league! Celtic Aberdeen in their pomp under Ferguson and Rangers all be it a poor Rangers! Dundee United did what they had to do won the league and in style beating their city rivals Dundee at dens to clinch the league and only used about 15,16 players the whole season.
They also narrowly lost to Roma in the 83/84 European cup semi and in the UEFA Cup final in 86/87 to Gothenburg.
Beat Barcelona home and away en route.
In fact their European record in the early and mid 80s is quite spectacular.
The manager Jim McLean was a bit like Clough he put teams together often by picking up players on the fringes at other clubs or buying players and converting them very successfully to other positions. For very little money along the way.

Surely Aberdeen winning the Cup Winners Cup has to be up there.
IIRC they were the only team outside the old firm to win the domestic treble ?

Surely Aberdeen winning the Cup Winners Cup has to be up there.
IIRC they were the only team outside the old firm to win the domestic treble ?
Yes that was huge, they beat Real Madrid in the final. They never won the domestic treble as far as I know ?
Rangers were rotten in that period in the mid and early 80s and Celtic probably did quite well to win trophies then as Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were arguably better teams at that time.

Yes that was huge, they beat Real Madrid in the final. They never won the domestic treble as far as I know ?
Rangers were rotten in that period in the mid and early 80s and Celtic probably did quite well to win trophies then as Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were arguably better teams at that time.
Ah, maybe it was the league and cup double I was thinking about. I'll have to do a Danny.

Ah, maybe it was the league and cup double I was thinking about. I'll have to do a Danny.
You are right I think they did the League and Cup double at least once. Great team though from that era. I think what was very noticeable at that time was the way Aberdeen and United did very well in Europe while Celtic and Rangers generally struggled.

Not including us. Bolton, Wigan being in the PL. Blackpool had a spell in there. Leicester winning it. Same for Blackburn. Jack Walker spending on his local Club. Wimbledon fa cup. United treble. I hate them. Leeds were good at the beginning of the PL era. Do not really want to mention any others.

A purely bought title....

Walker is a nice fan-story, but grand achievement? Nah....

They also narrowly lost to Roma in the 83/84 European cup semi and in the UEFA Cup final in 86/87 to Gothenburg.
Beat Barcelona home and away en route.
In fact their European record in the early and mid 80s is quite spectacular.
The manager Jim McLean was a bit like Clough he put teams together often by picking up players on the fringes at other clubs or buying players and converting them very successfully to other positions. For very little money along the way.
Is it not Dundee United that the manager actually told the players they had to move house to be nearer Dundee?

A purely bought title....

Walker is a nice fan-story, but grand achievement? Nah....
I think so. A Town team. It felt a bit like they bought it. But they were going for it against United. The so-called richest Club in the World. It was still quite a surprise they won it.

I think so. A Town team. It felt a bit like they bought it. But they were going for it against United. The so-called richest Club in the World. It was still quite a surprise they won it.

There's a reason for that... It's because they did.

Man U were only just beginning to establish themselves as the dominant force. Liverpool, Leeds & Arse had also won it in the in the preceding 5 seasons.

They had a manager that had already won the league. They had come runner up the year before and had Shearer who was golden boot winner 3 years in a row. Shearer was sold the following year , the spending stopped and they never came close again.

This was no Leicester 'miracle'.

There's a reason for that... It's because they did.

Man U were only just beginning to establish themselves as the dominant force. Liverpool, Leeds & Arse had also won it in the in the preceding 5 seasons.

They had a manager that had already won the league. They had come runner up the year before and had Shearer who was golden boot winner 3 years in a row. Shearer was sold the following year , the spending stopped and they never came close again.

This was no Leicester 'miracle'.
Ground was revamped. Got into the PL. Got better each season. He lived the dream. Good for them. Anyway, I dont know why i am sticking up for Blackburn.

Ground was revamped. Got into the PL. Got better each season. He lived the dream. Good for them. Anyway, I dont know why i am sticking up for Blackburn.

Like I say it's nice from their point of view, but it wasn't exactly a major shocker at the time.

Like I say it's nice from their point of view, but it wasn't exactly a major shocker at the time.
Oh. If Blackburn were back in the PL it would be a match i would find easy to get into. Just like Burnley. Maybe that is why i was sticking up for them. Peoples opinions on what achievements are better than others anyway.

Oh. If Blackburn were back in the PL it would be a match i would find easy to get into. Just like Burnley. Maybe that is why i was sticking up for them. Peoples opinions on what achievements are better than others anyway.

I have fond memories of playing Blackburn over the years too. 😎

Back
Top Bottom