Is FIFA ultimate team just another form of gambling?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Football Index is exactly the same.

Bookies are always innovating.

Should ban the lot.
Nah, because when it stops being fun, stop. Easy enough. According to gambling companies and the government. Just like any other addiction. When heroin stops being fun, just stop.

Fucking cunts.

A lot of games nowadays are pay to win. The problem is that due to the RNG involved, the term should be more like "pay for a chance to win".

I've thrown a lot of money in game microtransactions and it was fun while it lasted, but now I'm done with it. Didn't play Fifa Ultimate Team and I'm quite happy about this.

A lot of games nowadays are pay to win. The problem is that due to the RNG involved, the term should be more like "pay for a chance to win".

I've thrown a lot of money in game microtransactions and it was fun while it lasted, but now I'm done with it. Didn't play Fifa Ultimate Team and I'm quite happy about this.
ok I am going to be that guy

"what is RNG"

Dont play video games myself but this does seem to be insidious.

100% it is, it hits the same receptors that are triggered by gambling. The fact it's real world money being spent on something with no perceived real world value (in my opion is that it does) is how they've got away with it so far.

Also it fucking disgusting they are actively targeting children with this shit and conditioning them to gamble.
ok I am going to be that guy

"what is RNG"

Random Number Generator

Basically means every 'prize' has a number attached to it and then said numbers are drawn at random to see what you won. Basically like a tombola, but in this instance the higher level prizes will have 1 ball where the lowest level prizes will have 100,000.

Football Index is exactly the same.

Bookies are always innovating.

Should ban the lot.
Football *index is gambling and not aimed at kids though.

Its fcked up but we as a society have decided that we are allowed to gamble, but not kids.

Its mentioned in the article but its not a lot different from sticker albumns when growing up, I knew some of the spoilt kids spending £100s on those.

Last edited:
100% it is, it hits the same receptors that are triggered by gambling. The fact it's real world money being spent on something with no perceived real world value (in my opion is that it does) is how they've got away with it so far.

Also it fucking disgusting they are actively targeting children with this shit and conditioning them to gamble.

Random Number Generator

Basically means every 'prize' has a number attached to it and then said numbers are drawn at random to see what you won. Basically like a tombola, but in this instance the higher level prizes will have 1 ball where the lowest level prizes will have 100,000.
cheers I know nothing of this world and it seems preety creapy. do they take credit card transactions then it can become really painful. basically high cost borrowing to play a game.

Big reason why I stick to single player gaming these days. I'd much rather spend my money on well put together stories than some competitive game that requires me to spend extra money to have a increased chance at winning.

Last edited:
Big reason why I stick to singe player gaming these days. I'd much rather spend my money on well put together stories than some competitive game that requires me to spend extra money to have a increased chance at winning.

I'm also transitioning to this. The only game I'm still playing competitively (sort of) is Hearthstone, but I will probably be quitting since I find it too time consuming. And of course, it relies heavily on RNG.

As far as upcoming games go, I'm really hyped about Cyberpunk 2077. Considering the amount of time I've come to invest into games, it should keep me busy for a while.

I've completely dropped of multiplayer games now because of this shite. Last FIFA I played was 17 and the last online multiplayer shooter was Star Wars Battlefront.

I just stick to single player games now, no set times to get online, no anger at laggy bullshit. Kind of miss just hanging out with a few mates on there but it's been worth that just to really enjoy gaming.

It 100% is gambling. I'm lucky enough to hate gambling and because of that dropped games like Call of Duty and FIFA Ultimate Team around 2014 (and fucked it all up by picking League of Legends in the process, but that's another story), because of how RNG-reliant they became. But, there are people ou there, that spend around 10-15k/year and can't seem to overcome it. Either the goverements of the respective companies, or the console companies (Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft) need to do something about this, because this is turning into white crime from these companies, or the lives of some people will be ruined because of some thing that is supposed to be "fun" after all.

Last edited:
Of course it is and I will tell you something else, these pay to play games will cause massive problems down the line for kids of their generation, gambling addiction is real and is felt much more by the young. FIFA Ultimate Team packs have much lower odds of packing something decent never mind good than most forms of gambling do. Worse still I am pretty sure at very least half of the parents down know their kids are doing it.

Big reason why I stick to single player gaming these days. I'd much rather spend my money on well put together stories than some competitive game that requires me to spend extra money to have a increased chance at winning.
I play pro evo online and have not spent a penny on this, it puts you with people at similar levels and I am not trying to be #1. looking at some of their teams they must have spent a load to get the players, I don't really care because they are still at a similar level to me.

Is Fifa the same?

Of course it is and I will tell you something else, these pay to play games will cause massive problems down the line for kids of their generation, gambling addiction is real and is felt much more by the young. FIFA Ultimate Team packs have much lower odds of packing something decent never mind good than most forms of gambling do. Worse still I am pretty sure at very least half of the parents down know their kids are doing it.
is it very different to Sticker albumns?

(not the amount spent but the concept)

is it very different to Sticker albumns?

(not the amount spent but the concept)

Yeah you could say that but I never got that "excited" or felt a "buzz" with stickers and you could freely trade them with your mates and it was just to complete a book. These packs can cost up to £25 with a very small percentage chance of packing anyone, the build up to them opening is to boost the excitement levels. YouTubers have channels of them opening packs with the highest viewed ones centralising on Icons or high rated cards. Most of these Tubers do not say how much they have spent, some do. Also these Icons or highly rated players don't give that much of a considerable boost in the game unless you are already a good player.

Football is gambling and not aimed at kids though.

Its fcked up but we as a society have decided that we are allowed to gamble, but not kids.

Its mentioned in the article but its not a lot different from sticker albumns when growing up, I knew some of the spoilt kids spending £100s on those.
What the actual fuck

Back
Top Bottom