Is Gareth Bale World Class?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
When the second of Gareth Bale’s free-kicks whistled into the net, the stadium as one rose to applaud a fantastic player. The Welshman has been my favourite player for the last few years, his speed, skill and strength worth the entrance fee alone, there is no doubting he is a class act but: Is Gareth Bale world class? For a word that is part of footballing terminology it is one that has been exceptionally overused in the last 20 SKY [...]

Continue reading...

"In 2006 Messi was perhaps too young, but in 2010 he was supposed to be at his peak."

Not sure I agree with that, he would only be 23 years old.

Messi is the best player ever, the fact he doesn't play well at the world cup says more about the way the competition has gone under Blatter and the greater importance of club football than it does about him.

Not a fan of this. Few things wound me up...
"his speed, skill and strength worth the entrance fee alone" - definitely not true.

Also when he argued Ronaldo & Messi aren't world class because they haven't done it on the international stage. You can't help who your team mates are & you can't win the World Cup on your own. It's the same with Bale, he's got shit Welsh team mates, he'll never win the World Cup and will do well to even qualify for it.

I think that is a fair way to describe "world class", a term I don't like as it is too subjective.

On that basis, we currently have 2 world class players in Bale and Lloris
Neither Lloris or Bale would get into Madrid's side. Bale wouldn't get into Barca's and Lloris wouldn't get into Bayern's either. There is no official definition of what constitutes world class. In my view it's far too subjective a term to carry any real weight in a discussion.

Neither Lloris or Bale would get into Madrid's side. Bale wouldn't get into Barca's and Lloris wouldn't get into Bayern's either. There is no official definition of what constitutes world class. In my view it's far too subjective a term to carry any real weight in a discussion.
He would start at left back next week for Barca.

The question isn’t would he get in this side or that, its whether he has played at a consistent level at the highest competitions available to him.

The answer is no. I love Gareth Bale, but he has still a long way to go until we can classify him world class.

Maradona was world class, he took a piss poor Napoli team to the title and dragged/dribbled/handballed Argentina to world cupglory. That defines world class. It’s the actions of a player on a pitch that are above and beyond normal.

If Bale can take spurs into the CL, into a title challenge and sustain that performance over years the he can be called WC.

Messi and Ronaldo although amazing players, have still to impose themselves internationally, which is the highest level on offer for them.

Back
Top Bottom