Is Gareth Bale World Class?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would actually argue that 'international football' is a level lower than the highest club competition perhaps even the best league competitions as well. The pace is incredibly slow, and far too many teams play to not lose in stead of playing to win

I would actually argue that 'international football' is a level lower than the highest club competition perhaps even the best league competitions as well. The pace is incredibly slow, and far too many teams play to not lose in stead of playing to win
I would actually argue with you and say that it takes an even better player to shine at international level. At club level the whole team has a system, and national teams are more or less thrown together and given a couple training sessions. Takes real individual skill to grab a game and make it your bitch internationally.

You're reaching. How many teams have spurs played this season who have set out not to lose? What about Chelsea going all the way in the CL with the Double Decker bus formation?

International football is tougher becuase there is no one bankrolling teams. Your teammates are selected by nationality, not by money from Oil or advertising.

You're reaching. How many teams have spurs played this season who have set out not to lose? What about Chelsea going all the way in the CL with the Double Decker bus formation?

International football is tougher becuase there is no one bankrolling teams. Your teammates are selected by nationality, not by money from Oil or advertising.
So because the rest of your TEAM in a TEAMSPORT is shite you shouldn't be allowed to be called world class? players that single handedly get a team to trophies are not only world class, they are legends of the sport, which is why we still talk about them decades after they stopped playing and even after death

I would say that Bale is world class.

I don't think Messi is the best player ever, yet anyway.

To me Pele still takes that crown. What he did over such a long period was simply immense.
It's almost impossible now for Messi to match Pele's achievements on the international stage. But Pele's club achievements were awesome too.

the games where Santos beat Benfica in the world club championship, home and away are simply stunning, for example. I think the aggregate score is 8-4. Well worth a You Tube I can tell you.

Of course a player can be WC in a shite team, but that player must deliver over a sustained period. Maradona's team at Naploi wasnt the greatest, but his ability inspired them.

At world cups we have seen Stoickhov, Haghi etc inspire their teams. What we need from Bale is him continue to play like he's playing now and push spurs onwards to move from that good/great bracket, into that WC bracket which equates to Legend status.

I would say that Bale is world class.

I don't think Messi is the best player ever, yet anyway.

To me Pele still takes that crown. What he did over such a long period was simply immense.
It's almost impossible now for Messi to match Pele's achievements on the international stage. But Pele's club achievements were awesome too.

the games where Santos beat Benfica in the world club championship, home and away are simply stunning, for example. I think the aggregate score is 8-4. Well worth a You Tube I can tell you.
Pele scoring 6 goals in 4 games at a World Cup...at age 17 was pretty cool.

Yes, Bale is world class. I don't think comparisons with Ronaldo are way off. I mean Bale's still a way off where Ronaldo is at now, but compare him to Ronaldo when he was 23 and there isn't much difference, in fact Bale probably has better end product than Ronaldo did at that stage.

Neither Lloris or Bale would get into Madrid's side. Bale wouldn't get into Barca's and Lloris wouldn't get into Bayern's either.

Considering Madrid had to sign an emergency keeper in the Jan transfer window, I'm pretty sure Lloris would get into Madrid's side right now. Bale wouldn't though as Ronaldo generally starts on the left of the front 3. Bale might get a start for Barca though, have you seen Alexis Sanchez lately?

I think you can think of it in two ways, the level of football, and the level of glory. At the end of the day, I still believe that winning the WC is the pinnacle of success in football.

I think you can think of it in two ways, the level of football, and the level of glory. At the end of the day, I still believe that winning the WC is the pinnacle of success in football.
I agree it's the most coveted throphy, as it's only held every four years and pretty much impossible to win for most players. Glory wise as you say nothing beats winning the world cup. Level of football on show... ugh, for the most part I just fall asleep...

Lloris would definitely get into the Madrid side on the evidence of the Man U game.

I can't comment in general on Madrid or Bayern because I don't watch them enough. I'll be watching Bayern tonight so a chance to see their keeper in a big game.

I would say Lloris is world class on the evidence of being French national captain at the age of 25, his very high raking in world football by most of the rankings I've seen and his superlative displays for us, where he's already established himself as the best keeper in the country ahead of Cech and Hart, both of whom have probably been/are seen as world class.

Let say, hypothetically speaking, Mars had a football team

My idea of world class is:

At any given moment, if we needed to send a Team from earth (This "World") to play against them, who would you choose and for me atm Bale would be in it.

You need to really ask what someone's definition of World Class is before you ask if a certain player is in their opinion.

Some people see World Class as someone playing internationally in tournament football and making an impact, others see it as someone who would get into a World X1.

I personally think that there are 20-30 world class players out there, and Bale is one of them.

People saying that Ronaldo wasn't much ahead of Bale when he was 23...

In his 07-08 season for United, Ronny scored 42 goals in 49 games. That's what he did when he was 23. The season before that he had already scored 23 goals. Let's not kid ourselves now.

Let say, hypothetically speaking, Mars had a football team

My idea of world class is:

At any given moment, if we needed to send a Team from earth (This "World") to play against them, who would you choose and for me atm Bale would be in it.
So in a much more realistic way, world class = best in their position in the world?

Back
Top Bottom