Is it just me ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think VAR is overall a good idea. But I’d stipulate that the bloke with the screen gets one replay only to make his mind up. That would separate out the “clear margin of error” calls. And it would rid us of the five minute delays whilst the guy tries to line up his lines on a screen.

As for those who can’t celebrate a goal properly, I do find that strange. Many times over the years, I’ve celebrated like mad before having my bubble burst by a Linesman’s flag. And this was well before VAR came in.
Difference is, now we know they are looking, every goal, for a reason to disallow it.

I believed football would be a more fair game with VAR. How naive I was... It's worse than ever now and it has almost killed the sport entirely.
I'm almost done with it tbh.
Same as you, I genuinely thought it would level the playing field but like fuck has it.
They look for ways to help or hinder teams IMO.
Last season Liverpool were teflon, eveything was checked so fast and swept under the carpet. Wheras every goal we scored seems to be subjec to microns when it came to offside.
Also, on at least two occasions, players threw themselves on the floor in front of Kane and we got nothing, where as someone looking funny at Salah would be subject to extensive VAR reviewing and a penalty.

Part of the reason we suffered was because the fucktard refs weren't giving the penalty, instead waiting for the fucktards in box watching it. Problem was, the fucktards in the box are mates with the fucktards on the pitch and refused, for MONTHS to overturn a no-penalty decision with VAR. It was embarassing watching it. And it didn't change until Linekar called them out. IIRC, he pointed out there had been 90+ incidents where VAR should have overturned a referee, and no one had happened. Almost overnight it started to happen.

REFS ARE BENT. Simple as that. It's right up there with boxing for dodgy officiating.

My personal take is the people watching the replay should not be refs. They should have an independent body of people trained on the rules of the game, fully prepped on interpretation and how to impliment it. I don't want to see people who have played the game, as they're all opinionated twats. I just want people with common sense who will aply that common sense consistently.

They also need to expand VAR. Lets use Sundays game. They first checked whether Dire hand balled it. Once they determined his stupid, flapping arm (it went up AFTER he jumped folks) they then went back to check if Newcastle were offside when the free kick came in.
What the needed to do was go one again and then realise the stupid cock of a referee gave a free kick he should never have given. Newcastle player played it straight to a Spurs player, we were on for a break that may have made it 2-0, but the Newcastle player that gave the ball away, ran straight into a Spurs player and the ref stopped it. What the actual FUCK.

I am starting to think we should play the kids against MU and not tonight because with the current way the ref's are interpreting the laws we will get nothing Sunday. MU were lucky against us with the penalty in June and nearly got another in injury time. The number of Pens MU get, is it not will they get a penalty but how many. All right I am not being serious but does anyone really think we will get anything out of that match after the midweek matches and no doubt more injuries.
Hindsight is wonderful thing bro

Not sure about agendas etc, but what has happened to us will happen to every team this season, it’s the rules that are broken

That’s the old “it evens out through a season” argument I guess. I just don’t believe it. We’ve had two penalties against us in two weeks for these ridiculous “handballs”. We saw a brutal call against Palace on Saturday and in the same game Calvert-Lewin basically came out like a keeper and watched the ball into his arm. Chelsea scores a tying goal off a handball and nothing.

Maybe it will all even out. But VAR was supposedly bringing an end to that. Maybe it shouldn’t even out, because it’s just fair and some teams commit more fouls?

You can't celebrate a goal anymore as you need to wait for VAR to give it their seal of approval.

It's amazing that there wasn't a bone-deep understanding among the powers that be of how destructive this aspect of it would be to the product they're selling.

Why? Aguero was offsides

True, it's not like the call was wrong, but it was pretty marginal, the kind of thing that might well have been missed pre-VAR, and it was probably the highest-leverage, most dramatic VAR moment there has yet been.

It's wonderful to win a game of that magnitude, and it's hilarious that we stabbed the whole Pep project in the heart in that moment, but that's no way to win a game of football.

063ec1cd-3d82-4c89-81cf-5b34e8f45cde.jpg

I think VAR is overall a good idea. But I’d stipulate that the bloke with the screen gets one replay only to make his mind up. That would separate out the “clear margin of error” calls. And it would rid us of the five minute delays whilst the guy tries to line up his lines on a screen.

As for those who can’t celebrate a goal properly, I do find that strange. Many times over the years, I’ve celebrated like mad before having my bubble burst by a Linesman’s flag. And this was well before VAR came in.

That’s the old “it evens out through a season” argument I guess. I just don’t believe it. We’ve had two penalties against us in two weeks for these ridiculous “handballs”. We saw a brutal call against Palace on Saturday and in the same game Calvert-Lewin basically came out like a keeper and watched the ball into his arm. Chelsea scores a tying goal off a handball and nothing.

Maybe it will all even out. But VAR was supposedly bringing an end to that. Maybe it shouldn’t even out, because it’s just fair and some teams commit more fouls?

Arse & Pool also spared VAR fuckery this last couple of games.

The amazing thing, that they've missed, is that you can make money off it. Every rugby game I've been to at twickers, they sell the ref link reciever so you can listen in.

I did read somewhere that the PFA had objected to it (probably because they woukdnt get a cut, or cos we woukd find out what cocks some players actually are)
But yeah, sell a reflink headset or app and broadcast the refs mic.

The whole officiating circle (bodies, refs etc.) is a self preserving 'cult'.

There's no conspiracy against us or any team, it's simply that VAR (in its current form) is crap.

I was moderately for technology in football, but that was before seeing its real-life implementation. I agree with the posters that VAR is hurting football because the simplicity makes it watchable. It's also a sport with much more of a natural ebb and flow than, say, cricket, so it's harder to bed in technology anyway.

Lots of problems here: a few in short: i. when you start to get out the lines on the computer that means there's millimetres in it, so it's not a 'clear and obvious' error; ii. offside goals are still being scored; iii. problems surrounding the policing of red card level fouls. Overall, it's compounded human error.

I'm all for scrapping VAR unless it can be brought back in such a way that is perfect, but I doubt that will happen. The only tech I am in favour of is goal line, as there can be literally no argument over whether the ball has crossed the line or not.

An issue is frequency. Bizarrely disallowed goals are nothing new of course, but now it seems to be happening every other game, rather than a couple of times a season.

What do you mean, it's only a matter of time, seems to me everybody's already doing it.......except us!

OK, maybe I am being a little bit sarky, but I'm still annoyed about Sunday. Even if the ref admits he was wrong, not going to give us the points back!
Do you find the fact that everyone agrees with us(Bruce, Carragher etc) makes it worse?
We wont get t hose 2 points back. I am still fuming as well.

I guess that would depend on what they stand to gain in revenue by propping up Manure artificially.

The only reason there are even superbrands for the referees to protect in the first place is because a game of football makes for such a great spectator experience.

They're stabbing right at the heart of the golden goose.

(Two heart stabbing references so far, folks I'm spicy about this)

I've banged on about this before but you're right that it's particularly sickening when the lines come out and they're trying to assess millimetres of difference.

I won't say exactly what but I have a science background and as far as experimental measurements go (you could treat VAR offside decisions like that TBH) it would be bad science. If you wrote a report and presented those offside calls as absolute 'fact', you would look ridiculous and someone would rightfully be asking about every single contribution of measurement error.

Simply put:
- what's the resolution of the image used?
- what's your frame rate?
- given this frame rate, when did the ball leave the last passer's foot?

I can't put it any other way than it's men in a box using noticeably imperfect tools to produce a perfect decision. There should totally be an option for 'inconclusive' that gives the benefit of the doubt to the attacker. It's what the offside rule used to aim to do by eye and is within the spirit of the game. We all know the kind of egregious offsides that have been missed before VAR and those would be picked up conclusively without a doubt.

And that's not even going into how bullshit and lucky (or unlucky) players can be with offside depending upon the exact moment in their stride the image is taken (despite their centre of gravity being identically aligned to the opponent).

There seems to be something uniquely fucked about the FA that any decisions they make recently are backfiring spectacularly. The irony of the new handball rule is that I'm sure someone suggested it would help referees by giving them a surefire way of coming to a judgement - and yet there surely can't have been a consultation period on it because any manager, player, or poster on this forum could have told them exactly what kind of Pandora's Box would be opened.

This 100 times over

The margin of error with the cameras used means it's never clear whether a player is offside. At 25fps the margin tolerance is probably about 30 cms (a foot) for an attacker going full pelt.

Someone with a brain at VAR headquarters must realise this but they choose to ignore it as it gives them the chance to alter a match if they so choose.

I think Jose was right about the lack of respect against us due to having less trophies over the years than our Top 6 rivals historically

Cant help but think some of those decisions against us would have been given for Liverpool and Utd for example
Another factor that Jose has touched upon is that our players are too "nice". Both in the sense that we struggle to play "snide" football to see games out. And in the sense that our players don't put enough pressure on the referees in situations like the one on Sunday.

Had that situation happened to Livepool, United, Chelsea etc their players would have been on the referee pleading their case. And that does actually have some effect on the decision.

On Sunday the only Spurs player that seemed to actively protest the penalty decision was Winks and he got a warning for it.

Strength in numbers and what not.

I'm not saying we should bitch and moan about every decision that goes against us. But we could definitely enforce our presecence some more on 50/50 scenarios like on Sunday.

I believed football would be a more fair game with VAR. How naive I was... It's worse than ever now and it has almost killed the sport entirely.

Me too. I thought we’d be helped with it after being on the end of so many wrong refereeing decisions over the years. If anything it has proved the authorities have a problem with us. I can’t think why other than a nefarious one. How naive I was.

Back
Top Bottom