Is it just me ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seems like an age now that we were scrabbling about in mid table mediocrity !
We have proved ourselves to be permanent top six contenders and usually out perform that lot from down the road.
But..... Are the cards stacked against us ?
It would seem so,when just about everyone including our opponents managers are saying that the VAR decisions are so so wrong when it comes to Spurs,
Take a look at the VAR decisions that went against us over the seasons and it all becomes very clear.
Dier's shoulder, Sonny's pubic hair adjudicated offside the list goes on.
Despite all this the Spurs march on throughout all this blatant some would say fraudulent behaviour.
For me it's lost it's shine and a re-vamp of the rules cannot come quickly enough.
Maybe I'm just a whining tempestuous spurs fan but the facts do not lie.

I think Jose was right about the lack of respect against us due to having less trophies over the years than our Top 6 rivals historically

Cant help but think some of those decisions against us would have been given for Liverpool and Utd for example

I'd like to think it were just English refs but it took that one in the CL final 27 seconds to do the predictable against us.

I like to think that we'll have a better standard of refs in the Europa league and if we win it, I might look at checking out and following the Championship until VAR is scrapped.

You can't celebrate a goal anymore as you need to wait for VAR to give it their seal of approval. This open to interpretation handball farce has killed it for me. I love watching Spurs win but the players are no longer deciding the results anymore.

We will never win the league with it in place. I wish I could say the same for Manure.

You can't celebrate a goal anymore as you need to wait for VAR to give it their seal of approval. This open to interpretation handball farce has killed it for me.

This is probably the worst thing. Don't think I have ever fully celebrated a goal with VAR. You can't even be sure when it's a screamer from 30m.

Not sure about agendas etc, but what has happened to us will happen to every team this season, it’s the rules that are broken

That’s the old “it evens out through a season” argument I guess. I just don’t believe it. We’ve had two penalties against us in two weeks for these ridiculous “handballs”. We saw a brutal call against Palace on Saturday and in the same game Calvert-Lewin basically came out like a keeper and watched the ball into his arm. Chelsea scores a tying goal off a handball and nothing.

Maybe it will all even out. But VAR was supposedly bringing an end to that. Maybe it shouldn’t even out, because it’s just fair and some teams commit more fouls?

This is probably the worst thing. Don't think I have ever fully celebrated a goal with VAR. You can't even be sure when it's a screamer from 30m.
I used to go mental when we scored but now I just sit there waiting for var to do something. It’s not enjoyable anymore.

You can't celebrate a goal anymore as you need to wait for VAR to give it their seal of approval.

It's amazing that there wasn't a bone-deep understanding among the powers that be of how destructive this aspect of it would be to the product they're selling.

Why? Aguero was offsides

True, it's not like the call was wrong, but it was pretty marginal, the kind of thing that might well have been missed pre-VAR, and it was probably the highest-leverage, most dramatic VAR moment there has yet been.

It's wonderful to win a game of that magnitude, and it's hilarious that we stabbed the whole Pep project in the heart in that moment, but that's no way to win a game of football.

It's amazing that there wasn't a bone-deep understanding among the powers that be of how destructive this aspect of it would be to the product they're selling.

I guess that would depend on what they stand to gain in revenue by propping up Manure artificially. Most pens in a season...first pen to be awarded after an EPL match finished...fuck knows what records they'll break this season with penalties. A golden boot winner consisting entirely of pens?

I guess that would depend on what they stand to gain in revenue by propping up Manure artificially.

The only reason there are even superbrands for the referees to protect in the first place is because a game of football makes for such a great spectator experience.

They're stabbing right at the heart of the golden goose.

(Two heart stabbing references so far, folks I'm spicy about this)

Unfortuently VAR has made the game far more controversial and frustrating. Before when there was a miss it was easy to say it was missed by the ref or linesman and they had to go with their instinct for calls related to handballs or the like. Sure it was frustrating when a peno was given against us or a goal got ruled out but it felt like you got as many as you gave and it was a hell of a talking point. With VAR, they spend 5 mins looking at it and still rule against common sense which makes it way worse. How many times has a goal been scored and then the dreaded VAR notification comes up only for it to be disallowed for something so slight or so much further back in play. I think the ones where they get the lines out to check for offside is beyond ridiculous.

With VAR in place for a while now, when we score a goal, my first thought isn’t to hit the ceiling and yell out, my first though is now was there anything wrong with that goal. It really has changed the feel of the game. I actually felt sick after the Newcastle game and I was thinking I would have rather not watched it tbh which says something.

I think one of the things that differentiates football from most other sports is it’s purity and simplicity. All you need is a ball and two (semi) working feet. By introducing technology like VAR, you’re removing the fundamental aspect of why people enjoy the game and frankly, I can’t fucking stand it.

Unfortuently VAR has made the game far more controversial and frustrating. Before when there was a miss it was easy to say it was missed by the ref or linesman and they had to go with their instinct for calls related to handballs or the like. Sure it was frustrating when a peno was given against us or a goal got ruled out but it felt like you got as many as you gave and it was a hell of a talking point. With VAR, they spend 5 mins looking at it and still rule against common sense which makes it way worse. How many times has a goal been scored and then the dreaded VAR notification comes up only for it to be disallowed for something so slight or so much further back in play. I think the ones where they get the lines out to check for offside is beyond ridiculous.

With VAR in place for a while now, when we score a goal, my first thought isn’t to hit the ceiling and yell out, my first though is now was there anything wrong with that goal. It really has changed the feel of the game. I actually felt sick after the Newcastle game and I was thinking I would have rather not watched it tbh which says something.

I think one of the things that differentiates football from most other sports is it’s purity and simplicity. All you need is a ball and two (semi) working feet. By introducing technology like VAR, you’re removing the fundamental aspect of why people enjoy the game and frankly, I can’t fucking stand it.
I've banged on about this before but you're right that it's particularly sickening when the lines come out and they're trying to assess millimetres of difference.

I won't say exactly what but I have a science background and as far as experimental measurements go (you could treat VAR offside decisions like that TBH) it would be bad science. If you wrote a report and presented those offside calls as absolute 'fact', you would look ridiculous and someone would rightfully be asking about every single contribution of measurement error.

Simply put:
- what's the resolution of the image used?
- what's your frame rate?
- given this frame rate, when did the ball leave the last passer's foot?

I can't put it any other way than it's men in a box using noticeably imperfect tools to produce a perfect decision. There should totally be an option for 'inconclusive' that gives the benefit of the doubt to the attacker. It's what the offside rule used to aim to do by eye and is within the spirit of the game. We all know the kind of egregious offsides that have been missed before VAR and those would be picked up conclusively without a doubt.

And that's not even going into how bullshit and lucky (or unlucky) players can be with offside depending upon the exact moment in their stride the image is taken (despite their centre of gravity being identically aligned to the opponent).

There seems to be something uniquely fucked about the FA that any decisions they make recently are backfiring spectacularly. The irony of the new handball rule is that I'm sure someone suggested it would help referees by giving them a surefire way of coming to a judgement - and yet there surely can't have been a consultation period on it because any manager, player, or poster on this forum could have told them exactly what kind of Pandora's Box would be opened.

I've banged on about this before but you're right that it's particularly sickening when the lines come out and they're trying to assess millimetres of difference.

I won't say exactly what but I have a science background and as far as experimental measurements go (you could treat VAR offside decisions like that TBH) it would be bad science. If you wrote a report and presented those offside calls as absolute 'fact', you would look ridiculous and someone would rightfully be asking about every single contribution of measurement error.

Simply put:
- what's the resolution of the image used?
- what's your frame rate?
- given this frame rate, when did the ball leave the last passer's foot?

I can't put it any other way than it's men in a box using noticeably imperfect tools to produce a perfect decision. There should totally be an option for 'inconclusive' that gives the benefit of the doubt to the attacker. It's what the offside rule used to aim to do by eye and is within the spirit of the game. We all know the kind of egregious offsides that have been missed before VAR and those would be picked up conclusively without a doubt.

And that's not even going into how bullshit and lucky (or unlucky) players can be with offside depending upon the exact moment in their stride the image is taken (despite their centre of gravity being identically aligned to the opponent).

There seems to be something uniquely fucked about the FA that any decisions they make recently are backfiring spectacularly. The irony of the new handball rule is that I'm sure someone suggested it would help referees by giving them a surefire way of coming to a judgement - and yet there surely can't have been a consultation period on it because any manager, player, or poster on this forum could have told them exactly what kind of Pandora's Box would be opened.

This 100 times over

The margin of error with the cameras used means it's never clear whether a player is offside. At 25fps the margin tolerance is probably about 30 cms (a foot) for an attacker going full pelt.

Someone with a brain at VAR headquarters must realise this but they choose to ignore it as it gives them the chance to alter a match if they so choose.

063ec1cd-3d82-4c89-81cf-5b34e8f45cde.jpg

Back
Top Bottom