Is it just me ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've said it in the VAR thread but what they need to do now is give everyone access to the mic feed from all the officials.

This would mean that the refs know we're all listening and will bring a level of accountability.

Get a red button feed for those watching at home. Broadcasters can clip any relevant sections around marginal/controversial calls to show the discussions the refs had at the time.

If they are saying 'Give the handball against them...it's Spurs' at least we'd know for sure then :)

I think Jose was right about the lack of respect against us due to having less trophies over the years than our Top 6 rivals historically

Cant help but think some of those decisions against us would have been given for Liverpool and Utd for example
Another factor that Jose has touched upon is that our players are too "nice". Both in the sense that we struggle to play "snide" football to see games out. And in the sense that our players don't put enough pressure on the referees in situations like the one on Sunday.

Had that situation happened to Livepool, United, Chelsea etc their players would have been on the referee pleading their case. And that does actually have some effect on the decision.

On Sunday the only Spurs player that seemed to actively protest the penalty decision was Winks and he got a warning for it.

Strength in numbers and what not.

I'm not saying we should bitch and moan about every decision that goes against us. But we could definitely enforce our presecence some more on 50/50 scenarios like on Sunday.

It's only a matter of time before players start deliberately aiming the ball at defenders' arms. Whoever said pandora's box is spot on.
What do you mean, it's only a matter of time, seems to me everybody's already doing it.......except us!

OK, maybe I am being a little bit sarky, but I'm still annoyed about Sunday. Even if the ref admits he was wrong, not going to give us the points back!

I think Jose was right about the lack of respect against us due to having less trophies over the years than our Top 6 rivals historically

Cant help but think some of those decisions against us would have been given for Liverpool and Utd for example

Yep and the worst is this.

If having a manager like Mourinho and his reputation cannot change the dial you have to think next to nothing will.

Kane, who in the last 2 league games, goals aside has been a striker at the top of his game must sit and ponder.

In my mind we are inching closer maybe but that absolutely depends on a striker and less so a central defender arriving in the next few days.

So many times in the last decade or so we fall short but that bit is as much us as the unaligned stars of misfortune.

Would be interesting to know what had happened before that clip. For instance if he had allowed play on after an obvious foul I could understand his disappointment at the useless prick's ability to beat the keeper one on one. Either that, or maybe he was just hoping for a goal to give him a blow for a minute.

I think VAR is overall a good idea. But I’d stipulate that the bloke with the screen gets one replay only to make his mind up. That would separate out the “clear margin of error” calls. And it would rid us of the five minute delays whilst the guy tries to line up his lines on a screen.

As for those who can’t celebrate a goal properly, I do find that strange. Many times over the years, I’ve celebrated like mad before having my bubble burst by a Linesman’s flag. And this was well before VAR came in.

I believed football would be a more fair game with VAR. How naive I was... It's worse than ever now and it has almost killed the sport entirely.

Me too. I thought we’d be helped with it after being on the end of so many wrong refereeing decisions over the years. If anything it has proved the authorities have a problem with us. I can’t think why other than a nefarious one. How naive I was.

I've said it in the VAR thread but what they need to do now is give everyone access to the mic feed from all the officials.

This would mean that the refs know we're all listening and will bring a level of accountability.

Get a red button feed for those watching at home. Broadcasters can clip any relevant sections around marginal/controversial calls to show the discussions the refs had at the time.

If they are saying 'Give the handball against them...it's Spurs' at least we'd know for sure then :)
The amazing thing, that they've missed, is that you can make money off it. Every rugby game I've been to at twickers, they sell the ref link reciever so you can listen in.

I did read somewhere that the PFA had objected to it (probably because they woukdnt get a cut, or cos we woukd find out what cocks some players actually are)
But yeah, sell a reflink headset or app and broadcast the refs mic.

The amazing thing, that they've missed, is that you can make money off it. Every rugby game I've been to at twickers, they sell the ref link reciever so you can listen in.

I did read somewhere that the PFA had objected to it (probably because they woukdnt get a cut, or cos we woukd find out what cocks some players actually are)

Rugby is the ideal example. It works well there.

Of course the players will protest but it not like we can't see them acting like knobs anyway. Most of the time the lip reading is pretty simple!

So even if they throw that argument in, along with the fact viewers may hear swears, then the response should be that the players need to grow up and stop acting like pricks then.

It could, if desired, clean up that part of the game - player gets heard insulting the ref = a ban.

We hear plenty of swearing with no crowd noise now anyway

That’s the old “it evens out through a season” argument I guess. I just don’t believe it. We’ve had two penalties against us in two weeks for these ridiculous “handballs”. We saw a brutal call against Palace on Saturday and in the same game Calvert-Lewin basically came out like a keeper and watched the ball into his arm. Chelsea scores a tying goal off a handball and nothing.

Maybe it will all even out. But VAR was supposedly bringing an end to that. Maybe it shouldn’t even out, because it’s just fair and some teams commit more fouls?

Arse & Pool also spared VAR fuckery this last couple of games.

The whole officiating circle (bodies, refs etc.) is a self preserving 'cult'.

I think VAR is overall a good idea. But I’d stipulate that the bloke with the screen gets one replay only to make his mind up. That would separate out the “clear margin of error” calls. And it would rid us of the five minute delays whilst the guy tries to line up his lines on a screen.

As for those who can’t celebrate a goal properly, I do find that strange. Many times over the years, I’ve celebrated like mad before having my bubble burst by a Linesman’s flag. And this was well before VAR came in.
Difference is, now we know they are looking, every goal, for a reason to disallow it.

I don't think its a conspiracy against us - and to be fair we've had a few very dodgy VAR calls go our way (Sheff Utd and Norwich offside goals spring to mind).

However...some of those that have gone against us are ludicrous in the extreme.

Kane goal vs Sheff Utd
Moura is fouled and pushed over, and as he is falling the ball hits him on back of the shoulder. Ball breaks to Kane and Kane scores. Goal is given by the onfield ref, but VAR then decides it was handball by Moura. In this instance, it is far from clear what part of Moura the ball actually hit - so for a VAR to be 100% certain it hit his arm is ridiculous. To add insult to injury, the ref should then have given a freekick to Spurs, as no advantage was received - but instead Sheff Utd got a freekick for handball. Fuck right off.

Kane pushed vs Bournemouth
About as blatant a push and a penalty as you are ever likely to see. The onfield ref missed it, and VAR decided it was not a clear and obvious error. WTF?????

Son red card vs Everton
A foul by Sonny with a worse outcome than would normally happen in that the knock on effect was the Everton player got his legs caught and broke his leg/ankle. Just a foul - nothing more nothing less, but then VAR tells the ref to red card Sonny and we are down to 10 men and it costs us a victory.

Penalties vs Southampton and Newcastle.
Not penalties - simple as.

Offside goals
The issue with some of these marginal offside goals is that VAR is trying to apply a 3D view of the offside line to a 2D picture at a broadcast camera angle. It simply does not work and the margin for human error on this is huge. The worst instance of this was the disallowed Firmino goal against Villa early last season, which VAR got spectacularly wrong. Sonny being offside in the build up to the disallowed Aurier goal against Leicester was another example - but not as obvious. In my opinion the only way to fix this is to have mobile overhead and sideline cameras sync'd and tracking play all the time, as this would remove virtually all of the camera angle issue. However that is not practical.

Rugby is the ideal example. It works well there.

Of course the players will protest but it not like we can't see them acting like knobs anyway. Most of the time the lip reading is pretty simple!

So even if they throw that argument in, along with the fact viewers may hear swears, then the response should be that the players need to grow up and stop acting like pricks then.

It could, if desired, clean up that part of the game - player gets heard insulting the ref = a ban.

We hear plenty of swearing with no crowd noise now anyway
Even cricket (International games) you can buy a reciever that links up with a localised broadcast of the TV and Radio commentary for that game. They did it with the Olympics in 2012 too . Still got mine. Battery is long since dead.

There's no conspiracy against us or any team, it's simply that VAR (in its current form) is crap.

I was moderately for technology in football, but that was before seeing its real-life implementation. I agree with the posters that VAR is hurting football because the simplicity makes it watchable. It's also a sport with much more of a natural ebb and flow than, say, cricket, so it's harder to bed in technology anyway.

Lots of problems here: a few in short: i. when you start to get out the lines on the computer that means there's millimetres in it, so it's not a 'clear and obvious' error; ii. offside goals are still being scored; iii. problems surrounding the policing of red card level fouls. Overall, it's compounded human error.

I'm all for scrapping VAR unless it can be brought back in such a way that is perfect, but I doubt that will happen. The only tech I am in favour of is goal line, as there can be literally no argument over whether the ball has crossed the line or not.

Back
Top Bottom