Is Mourinho a modern coach after all…?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Absolutely agree with the above. Although founder members of the PL we as a club were waging internal battles - see the Scholar bankruptcy, sale of club to Sugar, then the subsequent Sugar v Venables court case. By the time the dust settled on all that we THFC were miles behind...

To make matters worse Sugar, despite (or perhaps because of) his bluff & bluster, rags to riches schtick was the wrong man at the wrong club. Small time.

My old man was part of the coaching set up at the club. At a meeting Sugar asked why Spurs couldn’t be more like Wimbledon - buy low sell high? The staff were shocked and concerned to say the least. His right hand man, Claude Littner stopped the staff having biscuits - they had to buy their own..

I don’t need to remind supporters of the embarrassing Armstrong / Bergkamp comparisons, ‘Carlos Kickaball’ utterances or washing cars with players shirts.

The club was a mess for many years. Reactionary appointments (Woolwich have Wenger, we’ll get our own in Gross🤣) and terrible player signings.

TBF Enic/Levy continued this trend for more than was necessary or bearable. The current trajectory, for me, began with Harry, went back a few steps with Tactics Tim and AVB, soared upwards under Poch and hopefully Mourinho can put some icing on the cake.

Don’t underestimate the damage caused in the 90s though...

I think you have to give Jol a bit of credit because he did a very good job with an average set of players before Ramos ruined everything (cheers for the trophy, though), but definitely agree that our doldrums during the 90s have been a massive handicap. We still have a dodgy reputation because of all those years of being repeatedly whipped by the big boys while absurd shit like lasagnagate was happening to us. We have made massive strides but hopefully we are nearing the summit now.

Absolutely agree with the above. Although founder members of the PL we as a club were waging internal battles - see the Scholar bankruptcy, sale of club to Sugar, then the subsequent Sugar v Venables court case. By the time the dust settled on all that we THFC were miles behind...

To make matters worse Sugar, despite (or perhaps because of) his bluff & bluster, rags to riches schtick was the wrong man at the wrong club. Small time.

My old man was part of the coaching set up at the club. At a meeting Sugar asked why Spurs couldn’t be more like Wimbledon - buy low sell high? The staff were shocked and concerned to say the least. His right hand man, Claude Littner stopped the staff having biscuits - they had to buy their own..

I don’t need to remind supporters of the embarrassing Armstrong / Bergkamp comparisons, ‘Carlos Kickaball’ utterances or washing cars with players shirts.

The club was a mess for many years. Reactionary appointments (Woolwich have Wenger, we’ll get our own in Gross🤣) and terrible player signings.

TBF Enic/Levy continued this trend for more than was necessary or bearable. The current trajectory, for me, began with Harry, went back a few steps with Tactics Tim and AVB, soared upwards under Poch and hopefully Mourinho can put some icing on the cake.

Don’t underestimate the damage caused in the 90s though...
Ironically, (with an equity injection), buy low, sell high was what took us from mid-table to consistent top 6.

And we destroyed them at White Hart Lane the following year.

The team that started that night was only missing 3 players that started the Champions League Final - and one of those that didn't start came off the bench.
Inter were bad because Benitez’s ego got the better of him in his personal rivalry with Jose.

He made their veterans play a high line with pressure and they all had a heart attack. That stint did incredible damage to Benitez’s reputation

.....Agree with most of this, but you don't think the better days started with Big Martin????

On which basis, I don't it's fair to say that 2001 - 2004 is an unreasonable or "unbearable" length of time for things to to start to turn around under ENIC.

I think you have to give Jol a bit of credit because he did a very good job with an average set of players before Ramos ruined everything (cheers for the trophy, though), but definitely agree that our doldrums during the 90s have been a massive handicap. We still have a dodgy reputation because of all those years of being repeatedly whipped by the big boys while absurd shit like lasagnagate was happening to us. We have made massive strides but hopefully we are nearing the summit now.
Fair points and I’m happy to admit I glossed over Jol’s tenure. I’m guilty of letting certain eras roll into others..
I enjoyed a lot of the football under MJ - always felt as if we were a couple of quality signings away (which wasn’t his fault) from really pushing on...

Pretentious crap. I hear it all the time from mates.

Its nothing more than sky trying to keep people interested. They keep having to re invent the game so it doesnt go stale. Most people can see its the same game its always been.
bF5ATq-7.jpg

At this moment he's a more modern manger than Pep, who is stuck ins his 15 years old tactics and seems unable to think of another way to play. Who would imagine this some years ago...

Is Arteta a modern manager? Lampard? Solskjaer?

I wouldn’t want any one of them managing us.

I think Arteta would be considered that, whether it is true based on what he has Woolwich doing or not is debatable.

kolskjaer seems to have zero tactical ability or influence so I am not sure what he would be considered, likely should only be considered a crap manager who has the job because of his personality and club ties.

I am not sure what Fat Frank has him team doing, I would say similar to Ole I am not sure he has a big enough impact on the team to say one way or the other what he is.

Poch had his bowl of lemons. Jose has salt & pepper:

...and he can't stop looking at his phone, so that makes him modern.

Back
Top Bottom