Is Mourinho a modern coach after all…?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Special one they say I am sure for reasons. I thought maybe it was a mistake when Levy got him because I didn't get a call from Levy about his plan to do 180 and buy 10 players in one window. Comes with enough to change a few things around here. We 'll see how it unfold and where it takes us.
Levy bought efficiently and most of them were mourinho target. We got 7 new players this window for the price less than 1 nicolas pepe

I never understood it when people panned sides that utilized a long ball, if it works who gives a fuck. We might prefer a more attractive on the eye game, but it's all about getting results.
bald fraud just play tippy tappy nonsense at last minute of the game despite drawing 1-1 but they call him modern though.

At Inter he built a team out of very little, and beat Barcelona on the way to the Cup.
This achievement was genius.
Just wish he had come to us instead of Chelski.
For all the doubters, if he left tomorrow, who would you want instead ?

At Inter he built a team out of very little, and beat Barcelona on the way to the Cup.
This achievement was genius.
Just wish he had come to us instead of Chelski.
For all the doubters, if he left tomorrow, who would you want instead ?
Really there was no reason to doubt him regarding his managerial career his record speaks for itself I think the minority of Tottenham fans doubted him was down to his connection with Chelsea which was really shortsighted on our part.... he wasn’t going deliberately fuck us over if anything it would be the complete opposite we’ve won diddly squat for years can you image what us winning will/would do for his ego?

Mourinho has a great quality when he leads a team,he knows how to selects the objectives and manage to win trophies. We had many chances of win EL o some national trophy.

Nonsense article.

What if what we’re seeing now, with Kane and Son leading the line (and the rest of the Premier League for that matter) in a free-flowing attacking style of football, is the new Mourinho?​

“You know when the [parking the bus] reputation started? It was when I was champions with Real Madrid with 100 points and 106 goals - the record of Spanish football. The record of Spanish football was not Barcelona, it was Real Madrid. The manager of Real Madrid was ‘the defensive guy’ that beat all the records. We won against every team home and away.” - Mourinho on beIN sports.

New Mourinho? Modern Coach? Right, ok.

Jose strikes me as a pragmatist, he’ll fit a team around the best players he has or can get; it just so happens our two best players in Son and Kane are attackers and rather well-suited to the counter. Other managers like Pep, Klopp, Bielsa, Conte, that guy at Southampton whose name I can't spell, our own Poch may be more stubborn about having a set philosophy and demanding players fit it.

What is interesting to me though is that he hasn’t chosen to *buy* a little more defensive or “physical” - we bought two v attacking FBs, a wide AM (Stevie), a DM who’s more about intelligent movement than a “destroyer”, a striker, Gareth freaking Bale (ok that’s Levy but looks like Mourinho is happy to play him). He’s made an already instinctively attacking squad even more attacking. Skriniar would’ve been our real pure defender (haven’t seen Rodon but I’ve heard he’s more the progressive-passing “cultured” type of CB), but Jose doesn’t seem too hung up on not getting him.

That is, he's had an appetite for risk that's surprised me (in a good way). I'm hoping that means he feels comfortable here as a long-term project - it's not that he's suddenly remaking himself, it's that we're an utterly new type of challenge for him. At his age, having won it all, maybe it's that idea of building a legacy with an underdog team that's truly satisfying?

Jose strikes me as a pragmatist, he’ll fit a team around the best players he has or can get; it just so happens our two best players in Son and Kane are attackers and rather well-suited to the counter. Other managers like Pep, Klopp, Bielsa, Conte, that guy at Southampton whose name I can't spell, our own Poch may be more stubborn about having a set philosophy and demanding players fit it.

What is interesting to me though is that he hasn’t chosen to *buy* a little more defensive or “physical” - we bought two v attacking FBs, a wide AM (Stevie), a DM who’s more about movement than a “destroyer”, a striker, Gareth freaking Bale (ok that’s Levy but looks like Mourinho is happy to play him). He’s made an already instinctively attacking squad even more attacking. Skriniar would’ve been our real pure defender (haven’t seen Rodon but I’ve heard he’s more the progressive-passing “cultured” type of CB), but Jose doesn’t seem too hung up on not getting him.

That is, he's had an appetite for risk that's surprised me (in a good way). I'm hoping that means he feels comfortable here as a long-term project - it's not that he's suddenly remaking himself, it's that we're an utterly new type of challenge for him. At his age, having won it all, maybe it's that idea of building a legacy that's truly satisfying?
We’re very lucky to have him

Great era dawning

Inter were known as massive underachievers before Jose, he helped them achieve their potential.
True but that core squad, after his first season, was improved by:
Wesley Sneijder - a Real Madrid reject but still a great technical player,
Eto'o (swapped for Ibra +45 million paid by Barcelona, it proved to be a great deal as Eto'o showed to be more of a team player than Ibra), and he pretty much hit the jackpot with players no one would think at that point were "treble" material:
Diego Milito- 30-years old striker with no "big club" experience,
Pandev - a player frozen out from Lazio for months,
Lucio-a 30+ years old defender Bayern gave up on, and
Thiago Motta (Barcelona gave up on him years before), who he brought from Genoa together with Milito.

All of them brought in one summer (except Pandev in the winter), and he integrated them pretty fast with the rest of the team and won the treble before moving to Real.

C'mon guys, Mourinho can moan all he wants about being seen as anti-football, but he revelled in stuff like turning Stamford Bridge into a pebble beach to disrupt Barcelona in 2006 (still lost!), instructing his Madrid sides to try to decapitate Messi etc. He loves it.

True but that core squad, after his first season, was improved by:
Wesley Sneijder - a Real Madrid reject but still a great technical player,
Eto'o (swapped for Ibra +45 million paid by Barcelona, it proved to be a great deal as Eto'o showed to be more of a team player than Ibra), and he pretty much hit the jackpot with players no one would think at that point were "treble" material:
Diego Milito- 30-years old striker with no "big club" experience,
Pandev - a player frozen out from Lazio for months,
Lucio-a 30+ years old defender Bayern gave up on, and
Thiago Motta (Barcelona gave up on him years before), who he brought from Genoa together with Milito.

All of them brought in one summer (except Pandev in the winter), and he integrated them pretty fast with the rest of the team and won the treble before moving to Real.
He also inherited the best Keeper in the world at the time in Julio Cesar, the best RB in Maicon, the legendary Javier Zanetti, top quality players like Stankovic, Cambiasso, Walter Samuel.

I'm not having it that he performed a "miracle" at Inter, especially domestically. If Mourinho performed a miracle then all those coaches that they had in the previous 20 years wouldn't have been labelled underachievers like they were. Inter were seen as the side who always snagged huge names (President Moratti was never shy about investing in the team) but couldn't put it together unlike Milan and especially Juventus.

He also inherited the best Keeper in the world at the time in Julio Cesar, the best RB in Maicon, the legendary Javier Zanetti, top quality players like Stankovic, Cambiasso, Walter Samuel.

I'm not having it that he performed a "miracle" at Inter, especially domestically. If Mourinho performed a miracle then all those coaches that they had in the previous 20 years wouldn't have been labelled underachievers like they were. Inter were seen as the side who always snagged huge names (President Moratti was never shy about investing in the team) but couldn't put it together unlike Milan and especially Juventus.
Never denied that the core squad was already amazing. Pointed out some players that were brought in to build that team that won him a treble.

They didn't replace Mancini with him to win them a domestic title, anyone could've done that. They brought him to win them the CL.

Ironically enough that was the last CL he won, even though he coached far richer clubs than Inter after leaving (Real M., United, Chelsea).

I think the miracle he performed at Inter was to win the CL. They were winning domestic trophies even with Mancini. But winning the CL with that squad to me is his best achievement ever.... so far. I think it will be surpassed by what he will do with us

I think the miracle he performed at Inter was to win the CL. They were winning domestic trophies even with Mancini. But winning the CL with that squad to me is his best achievement ever.... so far. I think it will be surpassed by what he will do with us
The same champions league that City are still yet to win , even though they have spent close to a billion just under Pep!

The same champions league that City are still yet to win , even though they have spent close to a billion just under Pep!
I have this theory that CL success is about aristocratic old Money (See Madrid, Milan, Bayern, Liverpool) or teams who've got a semblance of historical clout and have had natural growth to return to lost glories.

Nouveau Riche have a terrible record in the competition.

Chelsea, Man City and PSG only have 4 final appearances and 1 win between them despite all of them attempting to buy the big ears.

One of the reasons I had no doubt that Bayern would beat Paris, and I felt strangely confident that we'd beat City last year.

There was more than a grain of truth when Giorgio Chiellini said Juventus "believed in their history" when they overturned us at Wembley.

I have this theory that CL success is about aristocratic old Money (See Madrid, Milan, Bayern, Liverpool) or teams who've got a semblance of historical clout and have had natural growth to return to lost glories.

Nouveau Riche have a terrible record in the competition.

Chelsea, Man City and PSG only have 4 final appearances and 1 win between them despite all of them attempting to buy the big ears.

One of the reasons I had no doubt that Bayern would beat Paris, and I felt strangely confident that we'd beat City last year.

There was more than a grain of truth when Giorgio Chiellini said Juventus "believed in their history" when they overturned us at Wembley.
Good point. I think that history helps a lot in terms of a club culture, therefore attitude.
We are getting there, despite having to shake off this "spursy" burden that still too often (but much less than in the past ) we are inflicting to ourselves

Back
Top Bottom