Is Mourinho a modern coach after all…?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I hate all this bollox about modern coaches and that fucking cringe word you hear all the time "progressive"
Fuck off.

There is nothing new in football, it's all been tried before.

The only difference is that the athleticism has significantly increased.

I never understood it when people panned sides that utilized a long ball, if it works who gives a fuck. We might prefer a more attractive on the eye game, but it's all about getting results.
Leicester won the league playing long ball.

Mourinho has always known the limits of your teams and take advantage of its virtues, That Inter won against the best Barcelona of Guardiola and Messi, a invencible team.Mourinho may like more or less but yours team are always competitives.

Mourinho has always known the limits of your teams and take advantage of its virtues, That Inter won against the best Barcelona of Guardiola and Messi, a invencible team.Mourinho may like more or less but yours team are always competitives.

His Inter team was superb. It may not have been flash. But they had some serious talent.

Barcelona were a team of superstars, but that Inter team was super effective.

Good point. I think that history helps a lot in terms of a club culture, therefore attitude.
We are getting there, despite having to shake off this "spursy" burden that still too often (but much less than in the past ) we are inflicting to ourselves
We've lost touch with who we were. One of the fan accounts on twitter pointed out that we won 17 trophies from 1960-91. The 1992-2004 period really damaged this club, our uncompetitive years came at the worst possible time when the game was expanding globally, and ENIC/Levy deserve some credit in recovering a bit of that status. Now with Mourinho one has to hope we're in the end game .

That Inter had been eliminated in the round of 16 the previous two years.
By Man Utd (the holders and runners up) and Liverpool (runners up and semi-finalists)

2006-09 was the height of the old big 4 prem dominance in Europe. in that 3 year stretch they filled 9 of the 12 semi-final places in the CL... and 2 of the spots 3 that were missed were because English sides had faced each other earlier on.

The only time an English side lost to a team from a different country was PSV beating Woolwich on away goal in 2007. That's how much the prem had Europe in a chokehold back then.

We've lost touch with who we were. One of the fan accounts on twitter pointed out that we won 17 trophies from 1960-91. The 1992-2004 period really damaged this club, our uncompetitive years came at the worst possible time when the game was expanding globally, and ENIC/Levy deserve some credit in recovering a bit of that status. Now with Mourinho one has to hope we're in the end game .

Absolutely agree with the above. Although founder members of the PL we as a club were waging internal battles - see the Scholar bankruptcy, sale of club to Sugar, then the subsequent Sugar v Venables court case. By the time the dust settled on all that we THFC were miles behind...

To make matters worse Sugar, despite (or perhaps because of) his bluff & bluster, rags to riches schtick was the wrong man at the wrong club. Small time.

My old man was part of the coaching set up at the club. At a meeting Sugar asked why Spurs couldn’t be more like Wimbledon - buy low sell high? The staff were shocked and concerned to say the least. His right hand man, Claude Littner stopped the staff having biscuits - they had to buy their own..

I don’t need to remind supporters of the embarrassing Armstrong / Bergkamp comparisons, ‘Carlos Kickaball’ utterances or washing cars with players shirts.

The club was a mess for many years. Reactionary appointments (Woolwich have Wenger, we’ll get our own in Gross🤣) and terrible player signings.

TBF Enic/Levy continued this trend for more than was necessary or bearable. The current trajectory, for me, began with Harry, went back a few steps with Tactics Tim and AVB, soared upwards under Poch and hopefully Mourinho can put some icing on the cake.

Don’t underestimate the damage caused in the 90s though...

Absolutely agree with the above. Although founder members of the PL we as a club were waging internal battles - see the Scholar bankruptcy, sale of club to Sugar, then the subsequent Sugar v Venables court case. By the time the dust settled on all that we THFC were miles behind...

To make matters worse Sugar, despite (or perhaps because of) his bluff & bluster, rags to riches schtick was the wrong man at the wrong club. Small time.

My old man was part of the coaching set up at the club. At a meeting Sugar asked why Spurs couldn’t be more like Wimbledon - buy low sell high? The staff were shocked and concerned to say the least. His right hand man, Claude Littner stopped the staff having biscuits - they had to buy their own..

I don’t need to remind supporters of the embarrassing Armstrong / Bergkamp comparisons, ‘Carlos Kickaball’ utterances or washing cars with players shirts.

The club was a mess for many years. Reactionary appointments (Woolwich have Wenger, we’ll get our own in Gross🤣) and terrible player signings.

TBF Enic/Levy continued this trend for more than was necessary or bearable. The current trajectory, for me, began with Harry, went back a few steps with Tactics Tim and AVB, soared upwards under Poch and hopefully Mourinho can put some icing on the cake.

Initially Levy made a pandering decision of sacking the hated Graham and hiring Hod the god, a very popular move that didn't work out.

The real turnaround marker was the summer of 2004 really, and even then we kind of stumbled into situations that continued our upward trajectory. I always see hiring Martin Jol plus a culture shift of buying low selling high, but then crucially, investing the profit into the team to make it more competitive, as our starter point.

Jol, Redknapp and Poch we made big strides under and even Ramos got a trophy and AVB set a new points record.

The 2005-06 team was a personal favourite of mine, was the first time I could play as Spurs aka North East London on Pro Evolution soccer and not get mocked by my mates!

.....Agree with most of this, but you don't think the better days started with Big Martin????

On which basis, I don't think it's fair to say that 2001 - 2004 is an unreasonable or "unbearable" length of time for things to to start to turn around under ENIC.

Last edited:
.....Agree with most of this, but you don't think the better days started with Big Martin????

On which basis, I don't it's fair to say that 2001 - 2004 is an unreasonable or "unbearable" length of time for things to to start to turn around under ENIC.
To repeat myself I adored that 2005-06 side, with it's lopsided 3-5-2/4-4-2 hybrid, was such a well balanced team. Was so unfortunate how it ended and selling Carrick really ruined Jol's vision.

To repeat myself I adored that 2005-06 side, with it's lopsided 3-5-2/4-4-2 hybrid, was such a well balanced team. Was so unfortunate how it ended and selling Carrick really ruined Jol's vision.

Such fond memories... As you say, could hold your head up high again in footy company after more than a decade in the shade.

That Inter had been eliminated in the round of 16 the previous two years.

And we destroyed them at White Hart Lane the following year.

The team that started that night was only missing 3 players that started the Champions League Final - and one of those that didn't start came off the bench.

5e4310b84b661b23eb0f59c4

I'm not usually one for such things, but that's a lovely design.

iu

Back
Top Bottom