Is Poch a victim of his own success?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

After admirably hanging in there with 9 players against Bournemouth until the dying minutes and handing initiative to the chasing pack in Chelsea, Woolwich and Man utd have we gone as far as we can with Poch?

Has he taken Spurs as far as he can? (Working with the constraints he has done in the past 5 seasons and getting above expectations year after year whilst showing considerable loyalty in the process is it harsh to think about a Tottenham without Poch at the helm?)

The guy has literally moved mountains and worked miracles to get the side where it is today and he should be commended for an excellent job well done in every aspect but if ever there was a time for him and his players and staff to deliver the goods it is now.......and this moment!!!

We need to finish top 4 and be champions league finalists and these are very achievable goals to dare Is to do!!!

And now we need to DO it more then ever.

as a club Tottenham have always done things the hard way and when it pays off the results are fantastic i just feel 1 of the above targets will not be realised before the end of this season with Poch at the helm he and his team have gone missing far too often when it really matters like it does right now.

As other fans have posted he doesn't utilise what he has effectively enough at key moments perfect example is Kyle Walker Peters.
Given the fact its been a very busy and long couple of years for Kieran Trippier and how jaded he is looking i as many other fans would've thought KWP would've had more game time upto now!

It'll be an interesting summer too because the age old question of who will come to Tottenham to warm the bench for Kane when he is fit and i believe we already have him on our books.

I cant believe Poch hasn't ever given Lamela an extended run up top he would be the perfect strike partner for Kane,Llorente ,Sonny and Moura

Interesting what if any business is done in the summer I'm very much of the same opinion as Poch in thinking buying players just because you can just doesn't work.

With the new stadium completed and 5 years of laying double deep foundations domestically at home and abroad looking very solid under Poch will we ever get another opportunity to attract the calibre of key players to form our entire squad as we do right now?

We have cracking full backs in Rosé,Trippier but where is our lightning pace on the wing ATT mid LEFT AND RIGHT.
True enough we have Moura but beyond that we have no one other than N'Koudou who can offer that outlet like Sterling/Sane do for City or Salah/Mane do for Liverpool .

We need to think about bringing in somebody like Sane/ Memphis Depay to maximise the speed of the teams attacks/ counter attacks.

If Poch departs this summer be happy to consider Rafa Benitez or Nuno Espírito Santo as coaches to come in and take over the baton building with Poch's foundations he has laid.

As far as the league is concerned he’s had to contend with ‘home’ games at Wembley, several injuries to key players, and the additional issues that come with managing to lead us into the last 4 of the CL. Despite all of that we’re still a single victory away from guaranteed CL football, and could even qualify without earning another point.

I think he can take us further.

As far as the league is concerned he’s had to contend with ‘home’ games at Wembley, several injuries to key players, and the additional issues that come with managing to lead us into the last 4 of the CL. Despite all of that we’re still a single victory away from guaranteed CL football, and could even qualify without earning another point.

I think he can take us further.

I think he can take us alot further and as i said his work and time at the club thus far is nothing short of miraculous i just feel a short list of things to do in the summer need to happen for his time to be deemed a club icon and move the club even further forward.

For starters Erikson needs to commit to the club this summer - Poch is the only one who can make this happen and i see it as priority number 1.

Is he a victim of his own success?

Absolutely...

He could have had us at 5th for a few years, scored 4th this year took us into the new stadium with CL in our first full season. He'd have hit his brief and no-one what have any tangible cause for complaint.

However, 5th, 3rd 2nd 3rd & potentially 3rd place finishes later:

Now... 3rd and CL sf is "unacceptable" and some will deem our season a disaster unless we actualy win the CL outright.

Rightly or wrongly; if nothing else it's all a bit surreal... We are they best I've known us bar some one-off domestic cup glory yet the axes are out in some quarters and even more want the chairman's blood mere weeks after the new 'wow' stadium opened.

I sincerely wish that we can get over the line and wipe the slate clean for all involved (fans as much as the staff); end of phase 1: new gaff, new dawn and all that, but we seem hell-bent on bringing all the interim tension, stress and discontent with us. Shame.

Last edited:
Is he a victim of his own success?

Absolutely...

He could have had us at 5th for a few years, scored 4th this year took us into the new stadium with CL in our first full season. He'd have hit his brief and no-one what have an tangible cause for complaint.

However, 5th, 3rd 2nd 3rd & potentially 3rd place finishes later:

Now... 3rd and CL sf is "unacceptable" and some will deem our season a disaster unless we actualy win the CL outright.

Rightly or wrongly; if nothing else it's all a bit surreal... We are they best I've known us bar some one-off domestic cup glory yet the axes are out in some quarters and even more want the chairman's blood mere weeks after the new 'wow' stadium opened.

I sincerely wish that we can get over the line and wipe the slate clean for all involved (fans as much as the staff); end of phase 1: new gaff, new dawn and all that, but we seem hell bend on bringing all the interim tension, stress and discontent with us. Shame.

I have nothing but admiration for Poch and how far we have come under his stewardship but why continue to be nearly men when you can go off to a club like Juventus or PSG and guarantee yourself domestic titles.

Poch's profile is so big when does he sacrifice for personal gains?

We've picked up 10 points out of 33 in our last 11 league games. 11 games is almost one third of a league season. That would equate to 34 points over a full season, relegation form. Its a bloody good thing we had 60 points on the board after 26 games. Only the relegated trio of Huddersfield, Fulham and Cardiff have picked up fewer points than us in the last 11 games. Injury list, lack of player investment and playing at Wembley all factors over the season, but that is an utterly shocking record for a club of our stature, to be playing like a relegation candidate for a near 3 month period.

The indiscipline today in a game we should have been out of sight in before pressing the self destruct button, the casualness at Southampton in a game which should have been killed off and the complacency going to an in form Burnley, thinking we only had to turn up to win and a complete no show against the Spammers are just not acceptable. Calamitous late own goals at Chavs and at Liverpool almost seem acceptable by comparison.

I have nothing but admiration for Poch and how far we have come under his stewardship but why continue to be nearly men when you can go off to a club like Juventus or PSG and guarantee yourself domestic titles.

Poch's profile is so big when does he sacrifice for personal gains?

All depends on ones value system.... I'm as confident as I can be that in Poch we have as close as there is to someone with integrity and old-fashioned values in the modern game. Meanwhile let's not kid ourselves; he earns about £8m a year; he shan't starve whilst he's here.... For some 'lots' IS enough.

If he chooses to leave for a 'bigger' job then he'd have earned that step up, sad day if/when it comes but no complaints.... Something that falls outside of the notion of being a 'Victim of one's own success' anyway....

Last edited:
He's not a 'victim' nor has he ever portrayed himself as one ... remember this thread is a response to the tiny fraction of the support that bitch and moan because we've "only reached the last four of the CL and are only competing for top four once again" ... the huge majority of die-hard fans are ecstatic to be living in the era of the greatest consistent performance in our history ... and frankly the minority in this case can all simply fuck off back to their basements they have no clue ....

Poch talked about a 'five year challenge' in 2016, the challenge was to become a club that competed for European qualification on a regular basis .... well just three years later that's already been achieved. Now Poch could just sit back and take it easy for two years, he's on 8m a year he's already achieved his targets, but he won't, it's just not in his physce.

So now he is looking for the club to tear up that five year plan and produce a new one, one that sets the sites on Titles and Trophies, we will see come the summer if the club and Poch are aligned, if he gets no backing (and he will) then he can claim to be a 'victim'

But a new ground, new training facilities, the 5th highest valued squad in the league .... that's hardly lack of support, what Poch has done is over achieve, most fans recognise that and appreciate it, who gives a fuck what the media and a few moronic trolls on here think? Poch is already a Spurs legend, sure the squad needs a shake up from top to bottom, nobody will deny that, just let's pray it's Poch that gets to do it not some inferior replacement.

To put it simply, anyone who thinks that Pochettino is doing anything but a great job with us is dim. Poch single handedly changed the mentality, culture and style of this club with little help or resources. If anyone is going to 'get us to the next level' it is Mauricio Pochettino. Honestly my biggest worry is if he leaves is all of this going to fall apart and we end up going backwards. If it wasn't for Poch it wouldn't be the 'Big Six', it'd be the big 5 and we would be the best of the rest.

We are an over achieving team made out to be under achieving because of where he's had us in the past

Finishing anywhere in that top four and getting how far we have in the Champions League is a successful season regardless. Some people will disagree, some will say we deserve better (lol) and some will say it'd be disappointing as we were once title challengers when others had underachieving seasons.

Has he taken Spurs as far as he can? No idea. 6 clubs in this league pay higher wages and spend far more than we do. Yet we tend to finish above atleast 3 of them every single season.. You tell me how far he can take us

I love Pochettino and would absolutely hate to see him go. He's totally devoted to the club and, as has already been said, he's given us our most successful spell for some time. But, as the title suggests, 3rd/4th/5th are no longer good enough. Would a change of manager bring silverware with him? I doubt it. In fact, he'd probably be a disappointment. Better the devil you know...
Poch has the ability to take us further, to trophies, but at this particular point in time he urgently needs the money to build a bigger, refreshed squad. I love the way Spurs try to bring academy players through, but we need to supplement them with expensive, world-class youngsters, or we'll be back here again next year, with the same old frustrations.
The manager's not the problem.

I love Pochettino and would absolutely hate to see him go. He's totally devoted to the club and, as has already been said, he's given us our most successful spell for some time. But, as the title suggests, 3rd/4th/5th are no longer good enough. Would a change of manager bring silverware with him? I doubt it. In fact, he'd probably be a disappointment. Better the devil you know...
Poch has the ability to take us further, to trophies, but at this particular point in time he urgently needs the money to build a bigger, refreshed squad. I love the way Spurs try to bring academy players through, but we need to supplement them with expensive, world-class youngsters, or we'll be back here again next year, with the same old frustrations.
The manager's not the problem.

Any new manager is going to start at the bottom, overhaul the squad etc etc and have a period of destabilisation and rebuilding. That’s no guarantee of success. So keep Poch (assuming he wants to stay) and let him do that.

don't be fickle. He should be given a summer and season to reshape the squad. it's not that he's npt faultless, but you don't sack the best manager since Burkinshaw in this circumstances

Last edited:
He's not a 'victim' nor has he ever portrayed himself as one ... remember this thread is a response to the tiny fraction of the support that bitch and moan because we've "only reached the last four of the CL and are only competing for top four once again" ... the huge majority of die-hard fans are ecstatic to be living in the era of the greatest consistent performance in our history ... and frankly the minority in this case can all simply fuck off back to their basements they have no clue ....

Poch talked about a 'five year challenge' in 2016, the challenge was to become a club that competed for European qualification on a regular basis .... well just three years later that's already been achieved. Now Poch could just sit back and take it easy for two years, he's on 8m a year he's already achieved his targets, but he won't, it's just not in his physce.

So now he is looking for the club to tear up that five year plan and produce a new one, one that sets the sites on Titles and Trophies, we will see come the summer if the club and Poch are aligned, if he gets no backing (and he will) then he can claim to be a 'victim'

But a new ground, new training facilities, the 5th highest valued squad in the league .... that's hardly lack of support, what Poch has done is over achieve, most fans recognise that and appreciate it, who gives a fuck what the media and a few moronic trolls on here think? Poch is already a Spurs legend, sure the squad needs a shake up from top to bottom, nobody will deny that, just let's pray it's Poch that gets to do it not some inferior replacement.
No clue..really
You make some excellent points, but we all know levy will not provide the tools poch needs to push for titles. He never has and never Will, I truly believe that levy didn't expect to be where we are and probably didn't want to be in the top 4. He knows this will bring bigger demands and expectations of actually trying to win a trophy or two and he is just not willing to do that...ffs we were paying our players less than clubs like Leicester were willing to in order to keep them..he runs this club imo like we are crystal palace or something..

Back
Top Bottom