Is Poch a victim of his own success?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's a fantastic post, Sheepy boy. This forum can only benefit from great contributions like this.
You really must post more often

tenor.gif

I'm John, btw. :thumbup:
You are too kind, sir.

1 in 100 of my rants make a bit of sense!

I actually remember you from a few years ago before I took a break from the forum. Back then I was Bale’sHairLine but I forgot my password like the melt I am so started over!

Enjoy your weekend!

Pochettino stated that the objective set by Levy was for us to be playing Champions League football in the new stadium.

So yeah. Poch over-performed and set the bar high by qualifying and having decent runs earlier than expected.

The problem now is that Woolwich, United, Liverpool, City and Chelsea, our rivals for the Top 4 have all strengthened their squads significantly over the past few years, where as we haven’t. If anything, we’ve gone the other way - particularly with Dembele leaving.

There’s a reason why it’s a big deal that Chelsea are receiving a two window ban on signing players. Because it’s a strong punishment. Levy, despite all the great things he has done for Tottenham decided to self-impose a two window ban on us. No fucking wonder we’re struggling!

I get as wound up as anyone when I hear us described as Spursy/soft/bottlers. But there’s no smoke without fire! This has been the case for years. Why? Our recruitment strategy.

We lack squad depth first and foremost. Our squad is jammed full of players that should be nowhere near a team aspiring to win the league. We lack big game players. We lack the type of leader that will go fucking ballistic in the dressing room at players that cost us the game for getting sent off because they got wound up. Or confront a ‘big’ player who isn’t pulling their weight.

Pochettino set the bar high by delivering what Levy wanted ahead of schedule. But Levy needs to recognise the fact that our competition now have far stronger teams than we do. It is a miracle that we’re still in the running for the Top 4. We’ve lost more games this season than Wolves, a team that was playing in the Championship last season. If that isn’t setting alarm bells off in Levy’s head then nothing will.

It isn’t Poch’s fault. It is Levy’s for not backing him in the window. It is only a matter of time before Pochettino gets sick of it and joins a club that will back him. One sacking at Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, United, Bayern Munich, Juventus etc... and they’ll be kicking the door down to sign him. Levy needs to unclench his asshole. Give Poch £100m outright plus free reign to get rid of whoever he wants and allow him reinvest that money. Otherwise we will not win anything and Poch will move on to bigger things.

This is bang on the money, I don't think £100m will be enough though.

I hope Levy does support him,not sack him. He is the best manager in the EPL by a very long way getting more out of a sows ear compared with the other silky purses.
He is ahead of the targets of the long-term plan. It’s Levys turn to put up now even if it means his humble dwelling in Barbados has to wait a bit

I hope Levy does support him,not sack him. He is the best manager in the EPL by a very long way getting more out of a sows ear compared with the other silky purses.
He is ahead of the targets of the long-term plan. It’s Levys turn to put up now even if it means his humble dwelling in Barbados has to wait a bit
He is a good manager no question but some of his tactics, substitutions and formations don't lend himself to be the best, but he is happy to manage and make do which for a chairman like levy is a powerful commodity that is more important than anything else that he can do as well.

Last edited:
This is bang on the money, I don't think £100m will be enough though.
I agree. I just can't even pretend that Levy would give any more than that!

But if he's able to offload the players that aren't in his plans anymore he must be able to generate another £100m. Giving him £200m to bring in 5/6 quality players then allowing our talented lads from the academy to come into the squad and provide cover where needed.

Doubtful 100m will be made available more likely 60m tops.
I Think the 100m figure is the Sun newspaper putting up expectations in Spurs fans so that when less is spent we will all be disappointed and yet if they said 60m and that was spent there would be less disappointment. Cannot believe the Sun have any inside knowledge of our budget.

I Think the 100m figure is the Sun newspaper putting up expectations in Spurs fans so that when less is spent we will all be disappointed and yet if they said 60m and that was spent there would be less disappointment. Cannot believe the Sun have any inside knowledge of our budget.
Yes I would think the Sun have no idea but I can't see us spending much I just don't believe they will.

Now we have top 4 & a minimum of CL semi's, poch has done an outstanding job this season. No money to spend, injuries & playing at Wembley. To get CL semi's & top 4 makes him my pound for pound best manager this season.

It's kinda like preferring to become a millionaire through your own hard work rather than winning it via the lottery. So do you keep turning down that winning ticket..
Isn't much of a winning ticket though, is it? France and Italy are 1 club leagues - Poch could go there, win 10 domestic titles, 6 domestic cups, and a CL and an EL and it would do nothing for his status in the game. He'd carry the knock of "yeah, but he couldn't win anything in England"

If Poch leaves it'll be Madrid/United/City/Argentina/retirement.

We've picked up 10 points out of 33 in our last 11 league games. 11 games is almost one third of a league season. That would equate to 34 points over a full season, relegation form. Its a bloody good thing we had 60 points on the board after 26 games. Only the relegated trio of Huddersfield, Fulham and Cardiff have picked up fewer points than us in the last 11 games. Injury list, lack of player investment and playing at Wembley all factors over the season, but that is an utterly shocking record for a club of our stature, to be playing like a relegation candidate for a near 3 month period.

The indiscipline today in a game we should have been out of sight in before pressing the self destruct button, the casualness at Southampton in a game which should have been killed off and the complacency going to an in form Burnley, thinking we only had to turn up to win and a complete no show against the Spammers are just not acceptable. Calamitous late own goals at Chavs and at Liverpool almost seem acceptable by comparison.

State of some of our fans. Its like listening to Adrian Durham. They hold Poch responsible for Loris dropping a ball on to Toby’s leg to drop 2 points or for Son’s rush of blood to the head y’day. Only a manager with divine powers could match the expectations of what some of our idiots think a manager can control.

Depends how we define success to be honest....

Let’s put somethings in perspective here,
As of today we are the only top 6 club to to qualify for the CL for 4 straight seasons with the exception of Man City, who have made it 8. Liverpool, Woolwich, Man Utd and Chelsea have not been consistent inhabitants of top 4 in recent years, now consider the money these teams have spent, seriously take a minute and do the math as it’s quite a lot of fucking money.....Woolwich fans want their board to sell as they don’t back their manager, really? Last summer they spent 70m, we spent 0. They boast a strike force (Abamayang & Lacazette) that cost over 110m, ours cost 11m (Kane & Llorente) in comparison.....They are 12 years in a new stadium with the highest prices in football, we are less than 12 weeks......
Yes this season has been to hell and back at times, but we still, under Pochettino, continue to keep fighting well above our financial weight...Yes we do need to start investing now, and we need to improve the quality within the squad, but just imagine Pochettino getting the kind of coin he needs....the world is our oyster!!

Isn't much of a winning ticket though, is it? France and Italy are 1 club leagues - Poch could go there, win 10 domestic titles, 6 domestic cups, and a CL and an EL and it would do nothing for his status in the game. He'd carry the knock of "yeah, but he couldn't win anything in England"

If Poch leaves it'll be Madrid/United/City/Argentina/retirement.
Partly agree. Although winning the CL be a big achievement where ever he did it. Yeah I think you are right about most likely places he would go. Although part of me thinks he wouldn't go to another premiership team.
On the other hand, he stays & attempts to do the highly unrealistic... winning titles & CL on our budget. He might end up feeling he can only take us so far. Hope not.

Partly agree. Although winning the CL be a big achievement where ever he did it. Yeah I think you are right about most likely places he would go. Although part of me thinks he wouldn't go to another premiership team.
On the other hand, he stays & attempts to do the highly unrealistic... winning titles & CL on our budget. He might end up feeling he can only take us so far. Hope not.
I do think another PL club will be less likely...probably only if there's a big falling out with Levy.

My biggest concern in the short term is Argentina. Messi has one WC left at an age you'd expect him to still be able to contribute greatly, if that...who know what he'll look like at 34. Assuming he still looks like one of the best players in the world, 2022 will be Poch's only chance to coach maybe the greatest player in history and have him at his disposal to win a WC for Argentina. I'm sure Argentina will continue to produce great talents, but will they ever produce another Messi?

No I don’t think he is.
I think he has constantly spoken about the elite, trophies, that he wants to win the PL and the other cups don’t matter, but hasn’t delivered.

So he’s done an astounding job, should stay for 20 years, but the pressure he’s under has come from his own interviews.

Everyone says Levy only wants top 4, so the pressure can’t be from him right...

Back
Top Bottom