Is the club/board ok?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The main argument I see is that we have been consistently well compared to our finances, we should be happy with what we are achieving, what if Poch said that he wanted the players only at the end etc.

I am sorry, but if your attitude to life is, we are doing well compared to what we were before, we should be happy about it and not be any more ambitious, then sorry, but you have failed in life.

Yes, compared to the financial clout of the teams above us, we are no way near them, but, what difference does it make. 3 years ago, we finished below Woolwich by how many points? 1 point! In a season we started without having signed Dembele and Dempsey. Eventually they were signed and were starting several games for us, meaning that these are players who should have been signed early. Do you remember how many points we dropped at the start of the season? What about Harry's last season? Signing Saha and Nelsen on a free when we were flying in the league? DO you think Spurs can't afford to sign anyone better?

I respect all people's opinions and am as liberal as it gets. That's why I never try to argue with ENIC apologists ever, but seriously you are turning blind in your admiration of ENIC!!

Please ignore that this is happening at Spurs under ENIC. Let us imagine a team named X in a league ABC. If you heard that they always do not spend money when required on players they desperately need, always delay the signings till the end of the transfer window making the new guys require more bedding time, would you, with sane mind and common sense call it good management?

To those hypothesizing that Poch might have said no to signings, if by mid season this year, if our game squad of 18 doesn't change to what started at OT, I will accept your opinion. But we all know that isn't the case right?

Everyone agrees with the back Pochettino sentiment but none of us no what Pochettino wants. For all we know Levy could be offering him Berahino, Austin or Werner and Poch is saying "they're not great, lets wait a few weeks and see if anyone else becomes available."

Pochettino had 5 central midfielders in the squad today that would have done a better job in central midfield than Dier did but Poch picked Dier. None of us would have predicted that a month ago. Its easy to blame Levy but Levy supplied him with Mason, Dembele, Alli, Carroll and Eriksen but Pochettino uses Dier. How can Levy forsee that.

Poch made it clear that he wanted deals & the squad sorted early so we do have an idea of what he wants & Why would a chairman with a degree in economics & land economy be offering a football manager players ? He should listen to what the manager wants & try his hardest to get them. Targeting players should not be a chairman job in my opinion.

I am so bored of hearing the "we are spending less than the likes of..." Argument.
Ffs! What other team is building a 450M stadium?!

Don't even begin to say that it can be paid off with sponsorships, naming rights, TV money, etc.
We are not a top name like other clubs, as much as you believe so!

Cut backs have to be made and transfer fees is the obvious one.
Yes, it is obvious, but it didn't help when Levy said the stadium wouldn't impact on transfers. He's not the devil, he's just being too cautious at a time when a little risk in the market might reap rewards. It might not of course, but no one is asking him to spend ยฃ200 million, just go the extra yard with the players we are trying to sign.

They have sold Suarez and now Sterling to enable their spending sprees.
How many of the players signed would they get for ยฃ30m net ? They certainly would not get Benteke, Firminio, Clyne and Ings for that.
They would have had two out of those 4 at best. One if they really needed a striker.

We could have sold Kane or lloris, shifted ยฃ30m worth ( not including soldado and maybe AT) and spent as much or more than them.
However, we would have been up in arms.
They have basically been doing what we have. Selling their best to buy - and seemingly not improving last year - and getting compliments for it.
The most they have spent in other seasons is ยฃ41m net in 12/13. They finished 7th.
ยฃ39m in 07/08. They finished 4th ( but no Man City)
ยฃ35m in 11/12. They finished 8th.

That wasn't my point. I'm saying that they have dipped (sic) into their TV money this window , less than 50% of it but they have used it to try and strengthen . What are we looking at with sales & purchases ? In the black I think which is what we always seem to do. Add the TV ยฃ & we could put a bit more into the transfer budget.

No need to mention the new stadium as it's been clarified numerous times that we are not paying for it & what we do need to pay for will not be done in 1 huge sum of money

I don't - this is where we differ. We have to tighten our belts now, and we will have to tighten our belts further when it is built because the extra revenue generated will be used to pay for it. Fair enough, but don't expect a financial epiphany anytime soon. There are ยฃ50 notes falling from the football skies at the moment, but for some reason we will never benefit from it. That moment when we are able to ramp up our intent with some serious cash spending will never come. We're putting all that money into Enic's pockets. Surely this is obvious by now? How many excuses are you prepared to swallow - tomorrow will never come with these Enic people - at least not for us.

My thoughts entirely. How much true investment has there really been? while ENIC balance the books the net value of the club has risen exponentially, and will receive another boost after the new stadium is here. When they eventually sell they'll walk away with a very tidy profit on what they originally paid.

We all know we have ace wankers in charge .
lts more we are so boring . Slow football ,
mostly crap players , cheap buys and so on .
l think many of us have gathered we have no
chance of silverware is just that we are so bland
and piss poor to watch.

As for the timing of your post, surely you can see why people will laugh at it for melting. We were unlucky today.
Does this not justify the points he`s making though. Had Levy not once again fucked us over and left his manager short we probably would have picked up 3 points. Do people really believe the twat has champions league aspirations. Really

Football cycle. Managers have players they like that fit their system, it takes a while to assemble all the needed players to build a proper team. It should take us this window and the next to get most of what Poch requires then we can hopefully have stability for a while.

The reason in my view why we are always in transition is because we sack managers so frequently. The new manager find flaws with the players he inherits as they don't fit his style and we have two seasons of buying and selling, two seasons of distruption. This combined with Levy shall we say interesting way of conducting business means we never have a complete team and therefore never seem to be at 100%.

Has anyone noticed how we always get one thing sorted without the other. It looks like we finally have defence sorted but our attack is blunt, it wasn't long ago this was the reverse.

Far as I can see the only long term solution to prevent constant transition and gaps is to stick with and fully back one manager. In a year or two we should have a relatively complete team if Poch isn't fired in the meantime. Then with stability we can properly develop.

For me this is where the board and Levy have failed over many seasons, little stability meaning little real development. I have a good feeling about Poch, for Levy to win me over I simply want him to back Poch properly. Whether that means spending a bit extra to get Berahino or not sacking him, doing this would for me mean ENIC have learned from their past mistakes. And for those who don't think stability can be a god send think of Barca, Fergies United or even bloody Woolwich.

ENIC need to provide Tottenham with a proper stable platform, then we can see the real potential of this club. The stadium and youth system is a start but it needs to be across the board.
Spot. Fucking. On.

This entire line of thinking is based solely on needing someone to blame.

What would you do if you found out that Pochettino told Levy that he didn't want to bring in a striker unless it was the correct player for his system? Levy said about two months back that most singings weren't going to even come in until the end of the summer, SO you knew this was going to happen and had plenty of time to prep for it. If the window closes and we don't bring anyone else in you'll have a very real reason to get angry. Otherwise, it's literally panning out the exact way that management announced that it would.

We are at a point that the only option other than ENIC is going to be a hell of a lot worse than what we have now, but I guess the grass is always greener...
If your theory/ hypothetical is true, then Poch would have been irresponsible and negligent in not incorporating Soldado and/ or Adebayor into the squad over the summer so that we would have attacking options for the start of the season. Whoever made the decision to go into the season with one striker fucked up massively.

I think that the current owners are holding the team back, but not the "club", which let's face it, belongs to them. I always thought that "club" meant the fans, we're the only constant after all. I also think that we have become an annoying irrelevance to the new definition of 'club/board'. I don't like this, or pretend to understand the certain type of fan for which this type of discussion is natural, and I have never gone in for that "our board is better than your board" nonsense that worryingly is so common these days. I've never trusted any of the owners of THFC - why should I? They're not in it for us.

See this is what I mean " we had a centre back in midfield"..... Well who's fault is that then? Surely if levy and the Spurs board did all our bussiness early for once we wouldn't be in this position where Eric Dier has to be defensive mid. We would have the required players for poch to work on. They were there for the taking today United and we had no plan B as kane was not on his game. This is down to one person..... Daniel levy
Kane was on his game, he got no service. Until Lamela, Mason and Alli came on we were depending on Eriksen and Kane doing all the creative work while double marked.

You say Dier shouldn't be there, and that Utd were there for the taking.

Have you considered that the reason Utd looked "there for the taking" was because we were actually decent? Dier included.

I think Dier is a place-holder for someone else, and for all we know the negotiations are difficult and slow. If the Bender rumours are true then that would be the case.

It is easy to claim Levy needed to find someone faster, but this is real life, not Football Manager. People and other clubs need to be convinced. That takes time. This may be as fast as a deal can be done. Life is like that.

Levy supplied him with Mason, Dembele, Alli, Carroll and Eriksen but Pochettino uses Dier. How can Levy forsee that.
Total bollocks mate. Poch has been using Dier because he's not going to get a DM. Stop bringing Levy into a football conversation. You Levy cocksuckers make me puke.

Eriksen? - Carroll? WTF? It sounds like many of you would like the little money grabber to manage the team as well.

Last edited:
It's interesting that Levy has become such a divisive figure for spurs fans. Everyone has their right to an opinion, personally I'm not a fan of ENIC.

We've consistently finished between 6th and 4th for the last I don't know how many years.

Every financial report that is carried out on the league shows that we are over achieving because whether we like it or not money is king now.

We have built a state of the art training facility which is starting to bear some fruit with the young players we are bringing through.

We have finally agreed the construction of the second biggest stadium in the league.

Big picture - I think we are doing ok all things considered.

When your revenue and wage bill is 6th highest in the league, how much do people expect Levy to do?
He's not going to put millions into the club like Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour,
Simple fact, financially we can't compete with Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Woolwich and Liverpool at the current moment.

Which is a shame... but what is worse, is that barring the odd anomaly (us sometimes) you've probably, almost certainly named this season's Top 5 (and next season's, and the season after...)

It's tragic that we'll never see clubs like Forest, Derby, Ipswich challenge for the title again in our lifetime... a maverick manager and a good core of eager, young, talented players was enough once upon a time... now the best they can hope for is coming into the Premier League, staying for a bit, maybe 'hitting the heights' of Top Spot on the first day (do they give trophies for that yet?) and then take their 'rightful' place way down in the pecking order of Financially backed clubs...
Even when Blackburn won it, they were accused of 'Buying the title' with Jack's money... and even that was small-change compared to what's invested to 'guarantee success' now!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/29/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

When your revenue and wage bill is 6th highest in the league, how much do people expect Levy to do?
He's not going to put millions into the club like Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour,

Simple fact, financially we can't compete with Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Woolwich and Liverpool at the current moment.
I understand that. My frustration with Enic is they're spending less than Palace, Stoke, Sunderland etc.

I am so bored of hearing the "we are spending less than the likes of..." Argument.

Don't even begin to say that it can be paid off with sponsorships, naming rights, TV money, etc.

Levy talked ( or the board did) of investors to fund the stadium bar the ยฃ40m stage 1 part .. I wish I could be bothered to trawl through the release regarding the build with all its stages & investment plans but it's a Sunday morning so forgive me. This argument gets brought up time & time again regardless of what enic have clearly stated

You don't pay 450 million in one go. You take out a bond or something of the like, and use the additional 15,000 people per game and the large money generated to pay it off over 15-20 years like a mortgage.

That is not including the money we have saved by being the tightest club in the prem over the past 10 years, the massive TV money, the NFL deal, the bigger sponsorship, the naming rights, the fact we have a billionaire owner.

When Arse built their stadium the Prem was far less lucrative financially and they still managed it.

We are tight because we are a bussiness and at the end of it Joe Lewis wants a big score.

you are right its all about money If ENIC/Levy/Tavistock/Joe Lewisโ€™ ultimate aim is to sell the club for a healthy profit surely the best way to do this is to invest in the playing squad and have a world class stadium, therefore making the club a far more attractive proposition to prospective buyers.
Investing in players is a lot more risky than investing in real estate - I think Uncle Joe knows this.

So you have a problem with them leaving the club in the best possible state so they can get the best possible price when they sell the club on?
Leave it near bankrupt like Scholar? Mismanage it into midtable like Sugar? Take actual money out of the club like the Glaziers have at United and Hicks and Gillett did at Liverpool?
Or are you one of those that think we deserve a Sugar Daddy because other teams have one and "it's not fair".
Oh fuck off mate - can't you see that they are taking "actual" money out of the club? And you are a proper cunt for suggesting that I want a sugar daddy. I'll be straight with you - you've popped up out of nowhere with your bullshit, enic, Levy cock sucking agenda, and you think you have the right to take the piss out of people that can see this? I despair that Spurs have "fans" like you - you defend the owners against the interests of the team, you have an infant's grasp of what it is to be a supporter, and you must wank yourself to sleep at night over pictures of Levy. Can you just fuck off you pathetic, annoying little FM creep? I support Tottenham, not Levy. Where the fuck do you creeps get off?

Back
Top Bottom