Is the club/board ok?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are not a top name like other clubs, as much as you believe so!
Not really to do with the discussion, but I think we are a 'top name'. Huge club in one of the biggest cities in Europe (after Istanbul and Moscow) the capital city of the world's best league - history, high profile etc. 12th richest club in the world for what it's worth. I think we have a pretty big name.

How do you know we haven't gone that extra yard and offered the money needed to secure the player?
I don't know, obviously. If our targets are secured in the coming weeks I'll put my hand up. I'm going on this, and previous windows - I don't think I'm making any wild claims based on nothing - I hope I'm wrong.

You don't pay 450 million in one go. You take out a bond or something of the like, and use the additional 15,000 people per game and the large money generated to pay it off over 15-20 years like a mortgage.

That is not including the money we have saved by being the tightest club in the prem over the past 10 years, the massive TV money, the NFL deal, the bigger sponsorship, the naming rights, the fact we have a billionaire owner.

When Arse built their stadium the Prem was far less lucrative financially and they still managed it.

We are tight because we are a bussiness and at the end of it Joe Lewis wants a big score.
you are right its all about money If ENIC/Levy/Tavistock/Joe Lewis’ ultimate aim is to sell the club for a healthy profit surely the best way to do this is to invest in the playing squad and have a world class stadium, therefore making the club a far more attractive proposition to prospective buyers.

How do you know we haven't gone that extra yard and offered the money needed to secure the player? Maybe we have but the selling club are waiting until they have a replacement lined up, maybe the selling club don't want to sell before they buy as it will weaken their negotiating position. The whole situation is like house buying, quite often there is a chain and everyone is waiting to do their business at the right moment while hoping no part of the chain falls down. So we have to wait until everyone is happy before things move forward but this depends on how many are in the chain, but ultimately the point is, this is all beyond Levy's control.

To my mind the best way to ensure our business is concluded before the season starts is for the transfer window to close before the season is underway (potentially keeping a 2 week period open for loans).

I do agree with the transfer window closing earlier, seems dumb to end a few weeks into the season.

Who knows what goes on in the background. All I can see though is Liverpool for example hitting their targets and we after the Bale money seemed to hit our targets quick when we had a lot of cash. But this window paper stories of us offering just £10 million for berahino and plenty of others. From the outside it looks as if we are really tight I mean insanely tight to the point of potentially not getting who we want.

none of us live in the world of transfers, we are not agents so our impression comes from what players, agents, papers say and how often we seem to hit our apparent targets or the timescale in which we get them.

you are right its all about money If ENIC/Levy/Tavistock/Joe Lewis’ ultimate aim is to sell the club for a healthy profit surely the best way to do this is to invest in the playing squad and have a world class stadium, therefore making the club a far more attractive proposition to prospective buyers.
Investing in players is a lot more risky than investing in real estate - I think Uncle Joe knows this.

TEAM VALUE CALCULATED MAY 2015
Tottenham Hotspur

Team Value1
$600 M
Revenue: $293 M (£180 M)
Operating Income2 : $63 M (£39 M)
Debt/Value3 : 9%
Match Day: $131 M
Broadcasting: $284 M
Commercial: $111 M

Tottenham Hotspur signed a new, five-year exclusive shirt deal with AIA Group Limited worth about $27 million annually begninning with the 2014-15 season.

TEAM VALUE CALCULATED MAY 2015
Tottenham Hotspur

Team Value1
$600 M
Revenue: $293 M (£180 M)
Operating Income2 : $63 M (£39 M)
Debt/Value3 : 9%
Match Day: $131 M
Broadcasting: $284 M
Commercial: $111 M

Tottenham Hotspur signed a new, five-year exclusive shirt deal with AIA Group Limited worth about $27 million annually begninning with the 2014-15 season.

Is that from Forbes? I don't think they're suggesting the team is worth $600m.

nnn.png

If you add up match day, broadcasting, commercial and brand, you get $600m. Apologies if that wasn't what you meant.

I thought the performance was good yesterday until the OG, but we defended well, midfield did a great job but we just lacked that cutting edge. Lots it if this happened etc... could be different but we lost to an o.g away at Old Trafford.

If it was the friendlies we blame in mid week that could have a factor but we laid siege to their goal in the last 10 mins, so clearly we had the fitness.

I think we need to develop this team, not too many changes to the 11 but it is clear we need a striker, winger and midfield to add to the squad.

I.m sure everyone at spurs is working on this behind the scenes, but football is a different world this days and us fans have no idea on how the role of a premiership football chairman operates. We can speculate what decision have been made and say we agree or disagree and we have to live with lying journo printing whatever ghey think but I'm sure looking ahead in 4 years part and the stadium is part of the decision making process at this moment in time.

Build a young team of players that what to play for the shirt, get us to the new stadium with a team that have grown together and established themselves. Sprinkle some stardust with the carrot of a big super stadium and bring a few World Class players...maybe just maybe in 5 years time we cna starr challenging for trophies.

It's a dream but I'm optomistic, if it's works I would be the happiest fan alive.

I do agree with the transfer window closing earlier, seems dumb to end a few weeks into the season.

Who knows what goes on in the background. All I can see though is Liverpool for example hitting their targets and we after the Bale money seemed to hit our targets quick when we had a lot of cash. But this window paper stories of us offering just £10 million for berahino and plenty of others. From the outside it looks as if we are really tight I mean insanely tight to the point of potentially not getting who we want.

none of us live in the world of transfers, we are not agents so our impression comes from what players, agents, papers say and how often we seem to hit our apparent targets or the timescale in which we get them.
Liverpool "hit" their targets, but are they targets which they should have been aiming at?

There have been a lot of questions asked about the quality of their recruiting, as well as their over-spending.

Liverpool "hit" their targets, but are they targets which they should have been aiming at?

There have been a lot of questions asked about the quality of their recruiting, as well as their over-spending.

I think that is a " wait & see" . The dippers obviously are trying to get up the table to try & get CL so they've shown ambition. As I say , time will tell if spending will reap rewards . I got to say I hope not as I can't stand the dippers.

Bit o/T but what is their ins & outs spending balance ?
Edit - £30m in the red but that doesn't include TV £

Seperate issue in getting their targets and whether they are suitable in the first place.

I think Ings fits Rogers style the most, Benteke the least but Benteke is a brilliant player so might make it work.

Probably. Bentaleb and Chadli both played a lot in Germany, and maybe it showed a bit today.
Well Bentaleb and Chadli had a half v Real and then Chadli had just over another half v Milan whereas Bentaleb had about 70 mins. So They only had 15mins and about 8 mins respectively more than anyone else.

I think there is something up with Bentaleb. He looked frustrated at the Audi cup. Did anyone notice those unprovoked barges which were somewhat over physical an unnecessary for a friendly? His attitude hasn't looked correct since we went to Malaysia. I pointed something out about how he got pissed with Townsend and basically stopped running, turned around and walked back. Very uncharacteristic for him.
Maybe he has some personal problems because his head did not with it in Munich to me. He's only a kid.
In fact all his performances pre season have not really been that good
I don't think that was enough to make them jaded. Dier also played over 90 mins & Vertonghen, Walker & Eriksen played 90 too.

See this is what I mean " we had a centre back in midfield"..... Well who's fault is that then? Surely if levy and the Spurs board did all our bussiness early for once we wouldn't be in this position where Eric Dier has to be defensive mid. We would have the required players for poch to work on. They were there for the taking today United and we had no plan B as kane was not on his game. This is down to one person..... Daniel levy
But we have. We sold 5 players and got in 3 before the season ko - which I repeat has started one week earlier this season.
That's an awful lot more negotiating than most have done. How do you think this is all done, like contact the club and player is sold/player is yours?

If I am correct, 4 signings out of 14 in 2 previous seasons have been made after season KO.
Theres is no way you are going to get all players out & all your signings in for pre season. We had all 3 of ours go on pre season. Manure had all 4 of theirs go on pre season.
The only way you'll do that is if you have
money to meet fees required
can offer better wages than clubs competing.
& Top 4 coupled with those two and bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt....etc,.

I think that is a " wait & see" . The dippers obviously are trying to get up the table to try & get CL so they've shown ambition. As I say , time will tell if spending will reap rewards . I got to say I hope not as I can't stand the dippers.

Bit o/T but what is their ins & outs spending balance ?
Edit - £30m in the red but that doesn't include TV £

They have sold Suarez and now Sterling to enable their spending sprees.
How many of the players signed would they get for £30m net ? They certainly would not get Benteke, Firminio, Clyne and Ings for that.
They would have had two out of those 4 at best. One if they really needed a striker.

We could have sold Kane or lloris, shifted £30m worth ( not including soldado and maybe AT) and spent as much or more than them.
However, we would have been up in arms.
They have basically been doing what we have. Selling their best to buy - and seemingly not improving last year - and getting compliments for it.
The most they have spent in other seasons is £41m net in 12/13. They finished 7th.
£39m in 07/08. They finished 4th ( but no Man City)
£35m in 11/12. They finished 8th.

Fundermentally we are viewed by the likes of Joe Lewis as purely a business. Building a stadium, training facilities etc ups the worth of the club so they are generous with that but transfers are a gamble and cost lots of money.

As businessmen they probably look at the quater and the year profit without taking the long view that if we bring in top players, get top 4 for a season or two and then attract better players we will make even more money by getting CL football, more sponsorship etc. spend money to make money, perhaps they view it as too much of a gamble.

Your right though it would be nice to be able to get one or two top targets who can get us to the next level as it where, basically get the managers top targets even if it costs a bit.

er..so when we got top 4 who did we attract?
It's not all about top 4 as much as it's about the wages.
Can't attract the top players now unless you pay the wages. I mean when we beat City to CL qualification we signed nobody of any note & they signed Kolarov, Toure, Silva, Blotelli, Milner and Dzeko.
Over the last 10 year Woolwich have been in the CL and have spent what on their most expensive player before Ozil and Sanchez?
It simply does not work like that, unless you have big backers. Chavs only have 5k more capacity than us.
They pay a £179m wage bill and bring in £105m in broadcasting & £71m in match day - £176m - £3m less than their wage bill!
It's made up from commercial of £84m from who Gazprom ( who have bought a massive stake in Sibneft) who's Gazprom's founder? Roman.
Yokohama ( who are owned by furukawa who have investments in Russia in metals and shit)
Gazprom are now paying all their utility bills!

Same goes for Man City £128m in matchday/Gates and TV money combined yet a £233m wage bill? They also pump in money through subsidiaries for commercial activities which total £143m. ( Eithad, Etisalat, Abu Dhabi, Aabar etc,.) That enables them to buy and attract top players.
That's how they do it.
Not because the are in CL.

As for Man U, they are Man U. The exception.

Last edited:
er..so when we got top 4 who did we attract?
It's not all about top 4 as much as it's about the wages.
Can't attract the top players now unless you pay the wages. I mean when we beat City to CL qualification we signed nobody of any note & they signed Kolarov, Toure, Silva, Blotelli, Milner and Dzeko.
Over the last 10 year Woolwich have been in the CL and have spent what on their most expensive player before Ozil and Sanchez?
It simply does not work like that, unless you have big backers. Chavs only have 5k more capacity than us.
They pay a £179m wage bill and bring in £105m in broadcasting and £71m in match day - £3m less than their wage bill.
It's made up from commercial of £84m from who Gazprom ( who have bought a massive stake in Sibneft) who's Gazprom's founder, Roman.
Yokohama ( who are owned by furukawa who have investments in Russia)

Same goes for Man City £128m in matchday/Gates and TV money combined yet a £233m wage bill? They also pump in money through subsidiaries for commercial activities which total £143m. That enables them to buy and attract top players.
That' how they do it.
Not because the are in CL.

As for Man U, they are Man U. The exception.

Example Schniederlin this season said he would only consider moving to a CL club, there are quite a few other players who have said the same. Not just to mention the positive affects it would have on the likes of Lloris and other players long term.

The Sanchez example you choose was a good one, Woolwich are a completely different team with him in, even if we stumped up the money I imagine the chance of him choosing us being outside top 4 was almost none. That's not to mention the extra money you get from being in the CL and what the extra financial power that gives you in terms of purchasing.

Last season United and City were pretty awful for the squads they had. But as we were in transition as always we not in a position to take advantage.

They have sold Suarez and now Sterling to enable their spending sprees.
How many of the players signed would they get for £30m net ? They certainly would not get Benteke, Firminio, Clyne and Ings for that.
They would have had two out of those 4 at best. One if they really needed a striker.

We could have sold Kane or lloris, shifted £30m worth ( not including soldado and maybe AT) and spent as much or more than them.
However, we would have been up in arms.
They have basically been doing what we have. Selling their best to buy - and seemingly not improving last year - and getting compliments for it.
The most they have spent in other seasons is £41m net in 12/13. They finished 7th.
£39m in 07/08. They finished 4th ( but no Man City)
£35m in 11/12. They finished 8th.

That wasn't my point. I'm saying that they have dipped (sic) into their TV money this window , less than 50% of it but they have used it to try and strengthen . What are we looking at with sales & purchases ? In the black I think which is what we always seem to do. Add the TV £ & we could put a bit more into the transfer budget.

No need to mention the new stadium as it's been clarified numerous times that we are not paying for it & what we do need to pay for will not be done in 1 huge sum of money

That wasn't my point. I'm saying that they have dipped (sic) into their TV money this window , less than 50% of it but they have used it to try and strengthen . What are we looking at with sales & purchases ? In the black I think which is what we always seem to do. Add the TV £ & we could put a bit more into the transfer budget.

No need to mention the new stadium as it's been clarified numerous times that we are not paying for it & what we do need to pay for will not be done in 1 huge sum of money

We've been in profit on transfers for fuck knows how many years/ windows now, other clubs , Palace for example , are pushing the boat out and giving it all they've got, if only we could ever have said the same about Levy and Lewis, I really do think our recent history would have been different.

We've been in profit on transfers for fuck knows how many years/ windows now, other clubs , Palace for example , are pushing the boat out and giving it all they've got, if only we could ever have said the same about Levy and Lewis, I really do think our recent history would have been different.

I don't think we need to go mad but to "dare" a little. I also think our planning is all over the shop which is probably down to hiring & firing in a very unprofessional manner

I think that the board are actually doing okay. They have a vision that they want to put into action but it's just taken longer than they would have hoped.

At present we're bringing in £35m a season in gate receipts. Once the stadium is built we'll have added around 25,000 more seats which will mean that, in theory we'll have an extra £20m-£25m coming in per season. So that's £55m-£60m straight off the bat from match day gate receipts.

With regard to the further aspects of the development it's likely that the club will receive somewhere in the region of £100m for the entire development alone. That's a fair bit of extra cash to splash. Which means that even if we completely flop during a season we'll still have the financial security to invest in talented players. We'll be one of the only clubs in the UK that are self sustainable as we'll have substantial income coming from non-football ventures.

In five years we'll be one of the most financially secure clubs in Europe.
- We'll be able to spend £50m+ every transfer window.
- We'll be able to pay players more.
- We'll be able to attract better players.
- We won't be in silly amounts of debt like City, Chelsea, United, Woolwich, Liverpool.

So in summary. It's not all shit. We've just got to wait a bit longer.

Back
Top Bottom