Is the football bubble close to bursting?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dr Rocktopus

🎃🦇🎃🦇🎃
Do we think there will soon come a point where football eats itself through sheer greed?

Newcastle are now yet another souped up mediocre club that will become CL regulars and eventually winners. Clubs in the lower divisions are struggling to stay afloat. Wages are frankly repugnant. Many of the players are easy to dislike, and the whole sport is drowning in blood money with no hope of a life raft.

Ticket prices skyrocket even more than the cost of living. VAR simply makes corruption easier, and major clubs have already been caught match-fixing. A World Cup in Qatar, FIFA ran by crooks, odious people like Gary Neville becoming star pundits.

Not just England either. Spain and Italy are experiencing massive issues.

Maybe I'm exaggerating and nothing will ever stop the capitalist football juggernaut, but things have felt very different over the last couple of years.

It'll continue to mutate into the horrible beast that it's already well on its way to becoming............. Most of our 'fears' will become reality. Not likely to burst in a hurry however.....

From a personal point of view though.... Very close to bursting.

It will be just stadiums half full with tourists and billions of foreign fans watching game 8 of the play offs between city amd Newcastle. No ta.

I’ll be down at my local non league club having an ale with me dog on the sideline

Major League Baseball will be the first domino to fall.

But yeah, the major legacy spectator sports are in trouble. They won’t go out of business or anything but long-term retrenchment is coming.

Major League Baseball will be the first domino to fall.

But yeah, the major legacy spectator sports are in trouble. They won’t go out of business or anything but long-term retrenchment is coming.
Yep, I don't see it coming to an end, but I think the economic reality simply won't allow things to continue as they are.

The one thing that worries me is that FIFA is run by people who are in for the quick cash fix and don't give a damn about the future.

What’s going on with baseball?
A combination of attendance decline for a sport more dependent on ticket sales than most, so much of team revenue being connected to local sports TV networks that are overpaying for the games and sputtering financially and getting squeezed off of streaming TV options, and just really bad demographic trends in terms of who’s interested.

I love baseball, I’m sad to see it, but the outlook is rough. The NBA and NHL have a lot of the same problems if less so. The damn NFL is just impervious to any of it somehow.

You could kinda argue both ways for MLS. The demographics are great, but how much upside is there? They’ve just announced they will start essentially playing a midseason World-Cup style tournament with all the MLS and Mexican league teams competing, it’s a gamble but I wouldn’t bet against it being a massive success.

The one thing that worries me is that FIFA is run by people who are in for the quick cash fix and don't give a damn about the future.
Not just FIFA. Everyone is desperate for growth and if that means mortgaging the future or risking the credibility of the whole enterprise, well, we have next fiscal year’s accounts to shore up.

Late Capitalism, as they say

A combination of attendance decline for a sport more dependent on ticket sales than most, so much of team revenue being connected to local sports TV networks that are overpaying for the games and sputtering financially and getting squeezed off of streaming TV options, and just really bad demographic trends in terms of who’s interested.

I love baseball, I’m sad to see it, but the outlook is rough. The NBA and NHL have a lot of the same problems if less so. The damn NFL is just impervious to any of it somehow.

You could kinda argue both ways for MLS. The demographics are great, but how much upside is there? They’ve just announced they will start essentially playing a midseason World-Cup style tournament with all the MLS and Mexican league teams competing, it’s a gamble but I wouldn’t bet against it being a massive success.

That’s interesting to know, thanks

League Two is always an option for those who want to watch /experience football from 20-30 years ago. Used to go orient and Brentford a bit. On the down side Shit football, hard to get engrossed (as its not your team).

League Two is always an option for those who want to watch /experience football from 20-30 years ago. Used to go orient and Brentford a bit. On the down side Shit football, hard to get engrossed (as its not your team).
Been thinking about attending Bristol Rovers games.

I can walk to Bristol City's ground, but they don't do much for me.

Been thinking about attending Bristol Rovers games.

I can walk to Bristol City's ground, but they don't do much for me.
It may come if you get a group going, beers, no worries for tickets & sit together. I didn't have that when I went so nothing for me either.

Went to a playoff final and left at extra time.. The team I was "supporting" won and I was still glad to be half way home.

It may come if you get a group going, beers, no worries for tickets & sit together. I didn't have that when I went so nothing for me either.

Went to a playoff final and left at extra time.. The team I was "supporting" won and I was still glad to be half way home.
I have a lot of Bristol City friends that have season tickets, but I've always preferred Rovers.

I'm from Kent so really don't care all that much about either of them. I keep half an eye on Gillingham but it's grim viewing.

ESL in some form will eventually take place. Sadly this may be a cartel. Relegation will not take place. The so called super club owners get no thrill from playing some PL teams, when these could be replaced with RM, PSG, Barca etc.
The main concern is I hope they keep geographical locations. A USA franchise in sport can leave a city and move. Sadly we saw the same with Wimbledon. I trust it never gets where a UK based team moves to a city in another country.

Once again I shall be watching Orient this season more than Spurs

Great day out, don’t care about the standard of football, it’s the atmosphere and the old school feel of it all

What football used to be

Back
Top Bottom