Is the Semi Final a game Chelsea could do without?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

BernardMatthews

“Wildly offensive and ill informed”
Looking at their fixtures the Chav's are pretty close to being fucked with a big stick.

First up Wigan, then 4 London derbies, including the semi final, 2 games against Barca, and then Newcastle and Liverpool before a home game against Blackburn who will probably be fighting for their lives on the last day of the season.

10 tough games in just over a month. Add an FA Cup final to that you have 11.

Don't care what they say the older players Terry, Cole, Lampard, Drogba will all feel the effects of that many games. So they will need to rotate, and if it's their league form that suffers they can kiss goodbye to any hope of CL football qualification through the League.

Which only leaves winning it as an option and to win the CL itself will need something very special from a team who have looked pretty ordinary most of the season.

So will they view the Semi as a game they can afford to lose and play a weakened team or put out the strongest team and risk the home leg against Barca? Is the FA cup the lowest priority they have after the CL and the League?

Roman has made it clear the CL is the trophy he wants more than anything, wouldn't surprise me if he handed Di Matteo a piece of paper with 11 names on it the day before the match. Even their fans seem to be expecting some kind of Wembley let-down judging by their pathetic efforts to sell tickets.

And playing against a younger, faster Spurs team at Wembley is probably the last thing they would want before their CL midweek match. That pitch is made for Bale and Walker to be running into space.

Hopefully we will go out and destroy whichever players they chose to play, really feel this is a chance for Spurs to make a statement and put down a marker for the run in. Can't help but feel the Chav's minds will be distracted by the Wednesday ahead.

I would imagine that they, like most football players, will relish the chance to play at Wembley and in doing so it could remove lethargy or fatigue. Where this gets transferred to is likely to be the league (or chasing Barcelona shadows).

I think we could be the beneficiaries of a team channelling their energies into the Champions League but Chelsea are too professional and used to big occasion games, let alone the significance of a derby at Wembley (revenge) to be anything other than 100%.

That said - the game does come at a better time for us than them.

It all depends on what there top priority is, I hope they put the league as there highest priority! Barca will kill them in CL. We will kill them in the FA Cup.

Also just noticed that Woolwich are playing them between the Barcelona games....which is as likely to help them as us having the semi final prior to the Barcelona fixtures.

Dannyboy said:
Also just noticed that Woolwich are playing them between the Barcelona games....which is as likely to help them as us having the semi final prior to the Barcelona fixtures.

Yep Fulham, Spurs, Woolwich and QPR. We all know London derbies are unpredictable at the best of times but to have those four games around the Semi's of the CL will do them no favours as they are likely to be chasing the ball a lot against Barca. QPR has the potential to be all out war!

I'll be interested to see who he plays against us. Both games we played them this season we had more possession and looked most likely to win, I think at Wembley we could potentially have even more.
Has to be on Di Matteo's mind ahead of them needing to play a high tempo game against Barca midweek.

Not to pour cold water on anything but we were nailed on finalists in our last semi appearance...and those of us who haven't had it wiped from our memories can remember what happened that day.

ArtyB said:
Not to pour cold water on anything but we were nailed on finalists in our last semi appearance...and those of us who haven't had it wiped from our memories can remember what happened that day.

But we were nailed on because of who we were playing, not the possible extenuating circumstances. When we lost it was due to basically not playing well enough (and a dodgy decision on the Crouch goal).

ArtyB said:
Yeah, that one is still filed under 'North Korea' along with the NLD from this year.

Living in such close proximity to the oppo wasn't pleasant either.

come on JT Lumphard Cashley and the boys-. they is warriors that is why there is they relish the fight and the 150K week wage...this is why they play and kiss the badge

I bet there are a certain Italian in Manchester who wished his players had that run in.......might have kept him in a job come the summer if they had.

Back
Top Bottom