Is this the worst season of modern times?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is this the worst season of modern times (1990’s onwards)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The gauge for me is apathy - Jose made me less interested.
Last time I felt like that was avb/sherwood, before that it was George Graham in charge.
Add into the mix COVID and the Tories and a hangover from the CL final and it’s been truly appalling.

Its the worst I can remember since 2003 when we lost 0-4 to Blackburn Rovers at home on the final day of the season, I can remember a lot of anger that day, people chucking their season ticket booklets on the pitch - of course with it being the final home game it didn't mean anything beyond a token gesture.

But that's the last season I can remember being as angry as this one.

One of the very best squads talent wise ever but poorest motivation, tactics and coaching.
We have the worst set of defenders in my 40 years following Spurs. Even through all the bad days, we usually had a defensive rock - a Graham Roberts, Gary Mabbutt, Sol Campbell, Ledley King, Jan & Toby (before they both got old and slow). A commanding beast of a centre half would change the dynamic significantly. That has to be the top objective this summer.

It’s been a shitshow for sure but we have had a few highs along the way even if we have not got any silverware. I am talking of course about the brilliant football under Poch when we were chasing Leicester and getting to the Champions league final against all odds beating City and Ajax. Ok so not great outcomes in the end but not a shitshow. Mourinho failed this year as anyone should have predicted given his failure at ManU. But not before we had a little spell at the top courtesy of the Kane and Son show. The thing is it is difficult now days to reach the top because of the presidents being set by the moneycunts at Chelscum and City. We will never be able to compete with that sort of purchasing power while Enic are at the helm. So do we all think the solution for our club is to be taken over by a slimy Arab oil billionaire or a crooked Russian oligarch? I’m not so keen. I would prefer us to get a good manager and then overachieve like Leicester.

I think it is certainly the worst season we have had since George Graham years, and probably for longer than that.

The quality/style of football.
The total disconnect between the club and its fan base.

First time I have felt we are no longer Tottenham, and only way I think that comes back now is removal of the ownership.

I think it's so hard to judge because in relative terms our profile and expectations have grown over time (the thing it's worth praising ENIC for overall). Despite being so pissed off with last night, I don't think we're 'fucked', so to speak. We need an effective overhaul.

But, in terms of an individual year of regression, this is potentially the worst season of modern times.

I think it is certainly the worst season we have had since George Graham years, and probably for longer than that.

The quality/style of football.
The total disconnect between the club and its fan base.

First time I have felt we are no longer Tottenham, and only way I think that comes back now is removal of the ownership.
Spot on. I've hated watching us this season. Just been watching out of habit, there is no excitement or nerves. Wanting Mourinho out from the end of January, it was painful seeing him clinging on. I'm at a stage where i dont care if any of our players leave, i cant stand the owners and unlike other shit seasons we haven't been blooding youngsters so there isnt much hope going forward. But the life of a football fan, probably come August we'll be up for it again.

I think what's uniquely shit about where we are now, is that in under 2 years we went from Moura's clinching goal at Ajax to send us into the Champions League final, we had Harry, Son, Eriksen, Dele, Toby, Jan, Hugo all playing at pretty much a world class standard, we had one of the most coveted managers in the world in Poch, and the best new stadium in the world, repeated CL qualifications and.....

...now we look like a shambles of team about to start a 4 year rebuild with not enough money and a return to mid-table mediocrity and salt in the wound the goons who are utter shite are probably going to edge past us on the last day of the season.

It's that sick feeling that we had a generational opportunity with Harry, Dele and Son and we fucked it.
Exactly. The near League wins in our golden Poch era bloody well hurt at the time but there was a real sense of "well, we're at this level now. we'll keep cracking on until we knock the bastard off"
but now, I look back on those couple of seasons and feel sick. We had the best team in England, great energy, positivity abounds... and it has all absolutely crumbled to the ground.

I think it will haunt me for a long long time the fact we didn't win anything then.

Its the first season I've questioned the support of our fanbase. Boo the board by all means same goes for the officials and away players. Whilst I respect the right of every fan's right to decide their own way of venting displeasure and frustration I've never seen the merit in booing the players off at half time in the hope it will somehow gee them up for the second half.

I was in the Sarf and there was a section of the more knowledgeable attendees who voiced the suggestion (in their professional opinion) that Bale should come on and make a difference? When it came to pass and after a couple of missed flicks and runs down dead alleys he attempted to raise the noise a decibel and got booed for that.

I'm no saint and apologise to the more genteel who sat within earshot of me for the occasional expletive I felt compelled to deliver but I draw the line when it comes to hurling orchestrated bile and abuse at those who wear the lilywhite when a match is being played.

Not suggesting for one minute we follow the lead of other fans and have lobotomies in order to gleefully churn out verses of 'Glad all over' when we're losing 7-0 though we can try to get behind the team for the whole (for fans who stay that long?) 90+ minutes, even if we are playing shit and see how that works out.

At present, the Board are shit, the playing staff are shit and its looking like we may very well all deserve each other.

Two of the more (maybe) appropriate songs I didn't hear yesterday were.... 'Who ate all the pies' and 'Our support is fucking shit'.

Its the worst I can remember since 2003 when we lost 0-4 to Blackburn Rovers at home on the final day of the season, I can remember a lot of anger that day, people chucking their season ticket booklets on the pitch - of course with it being the final home game it didn't mean anything beyond a token gesture.

But that's the last season I can remember being as angry as this one.
Now that brings me back. I was actually at that game. I was 13 but remember it being pretty toxic. Poyet was sent off and Damien Duff tore our defence apart. Met Graeme Souness before the game somehow; he was a miserable cunt even then.

The 90's were far worse. I guess many on here are too young or newer supporters but to even compare now to then is laughable tbh
It was a long time ago though and we had some good times back then! I remember Klinsmann bicycles and winning a League Cup. League form back then we weren't anywhere near recent times.... But I don't remember it feeling as bad to be lower down. Was happier back then, because we weren't used to being further up. It was Martin Jol who really began to change all that in my opinion. He's the foundation of the modern era. Maybe a few seasons around the late 90's - early 00's were worse than this... at least in the league... it's a close call... but I'm not sure I remember as much toxicity back then, as there is now... plus the coronavirus does make it a bit worse...

It was a long time ago though and we had some good times back then! I remember Klinsmann bicycles and winning a League Cup. League form back then we weren't anywhere near recent times.... But I don't remember it feeling as bad to be lower down. Was happier back then, because we weren't used to being further up. It was Martin Jol who really began to change all that in my opinion. He's the foundation of the modern era. Maybe a few seasons around the late 90's - early 00's were worse than this... at least in the league... it's a close call... but I'm not sure I remember as much toxicity back then, as there is now... plus the coronavirus does make it a bit worse...
Well, it was the 90's! We were generally happier back then weren't we! Aceeeed, fall of the berlin wall, good music, phoneboxes, jumpers for goalposts ... aceeeeeeedddd

Now. Social media, pandemics, cancel culture, tik tok music, it's fucked times in general man

Hell no. We were utter, utter turd in the late 90s and no League Cup can make up for the eyeball gouging horror of peak George Graham tactics.

I still remember the sadness in little Sergei's eyes as he watched yet another long punt from Neil Sullivan go over his head to the awaiting 6ft 2in centre backs.

1993/4: We finished 3 points off relegation
1996/7: We finished 6 points off relegation
1997/8: We finished 4 points off relegation

I understand our expectations have shifted, but this is why deep down I just can't get too worked up about sacking the board, sacking Levy, calling Mason a cunt, and whining that we've never had it so bad.

Newsflash: we have had it this bad and indeed much much worse. I'm not saying this season has been good enough, not by a long shot. We reached heights we could only dream of previously under Poch and the failure to build on it is criminal. The blame lies solely with Levy, and not because of a lack of investment but bad investment. We've spunked money down the drain on players who aren't good enough, or aren't wanted by a manager. This is what needs to change.

Maybe I'm getting old. Maybe the pandemic year has made me tired. I don't know. All I know is next year we go again.

A football club, and this season in particular is not just about what you do on the pitch though, and is in relation to the quality of the team you have.

What has happened off the pitch, and the style of football we played on it, with the players we had available, not necessarily the final position, makes it by far worse than any of those seasons.

Basically what has happened this, and to an extent last season really means as things stand to me, we are no longer Tottenham Hotspur FC.
We need to get our club back, because at the moment it is the first time in my life, where it doesn't feel we have a football club to support any more.

Depending on your age, this isn't the worst season of modern times but i think for a lot of people it feels that way because of the level we've fallen from and the speed of that decline.

From CL finalists to struggling to make the top 8 in 2 years. With our best player about to exit and some god-awful football played. A number of failed signings and players who look to have given up which i think makes fans do likewise.

Everyone saying 90s compare the teams. This is without a doubt the worst season with the quality of players by far. We knew we were shit in the 90s and accepted it. No acceptance today whatsoever. Without kanes goals i think we wouldnt be far off Newcastle

One of the very best squads talent wise ever but poorest motivation, tactics and coaching.

I felt exactly the same re. our false position vs performances, except for the fact that that dinosaur, and others like him, have won tonnes of trophies with that backs to the wall 'jammy' style, so I still managed to somewhat ignore what I was seeing and allowed myself to hope.
There was hope this season and it was genuine hope. It wasn't delusional. We were in a cup final. We could have gone on in the FA Cup and we could have gone on in the Europa. For me the season changed at Zagreb. That was the time to sack Jose. Give a new man time before the League Cup final... OR .... since Levy decided to stick with Jose, he should have stuck with him till the end. Sacking him 6 days out from a final was ludicrous. This team could have won something this year. It feels bad this season because there was a real chance of winning something and we blew it.

Back
Top Bottom