Is this the worst season of modern times?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is this the worst season of modern times (1990’s onwards)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know what you mean, after Klinsmann, Barmby and Popescu left and we had Gerry Francis, Christan Gross and George Graham and a ton of shite players were really bleak. The worst i think i felt though was when we finally got rid of Sugar and Graham, got Hoddle and then realised we were still shite in his 2nd full season. That 2002 to 2004 period. It felt a bit like now with a load of ageing, underperforming players who look like they're going through the motions. But we turned it around fairly quickly with Arnesen and Jol so there is hope.
Under Francis/Gross/Graham there was usually one player at the club who could do things to get you excited in a game ... like Sheringham or Ginola. As a team we were just poor.

Everyone keeps mentioning the heightened expectations being a factor in how awful the season feels now, and I suspect this is why it doesn't feel any worse for me than some of the awful 90s dross. Even when we beat Man City and Woolwich before Christmas, I was never convinced about the performances. They felt at the time like plucky backs to the wall performances and the whole thing felt incredibly fragile.

We had those very narrow and lucky wins against Burnely and Brighton and I could just feel that we were riding our luck, and just from experience of supporting Spurs it was a house of cards just waiting to come tumbling down. I wasn't at all convinced we would keep this luck up.
I felt exactly the same re. our false position vs performances, except for the fact that that dinosaur, and others like him, have won tonnes of trophies with that backs to the wall 'jammy' style, so I still managed to somewhat ignore what I was seeing and allowed myself to hope.

Last edited:
You do get the sense that short of relegation, this is a near perfect storm for Levy and we’re really at a crossroads. We’ve had issues with the manager and our more talismanic and want-away players in the past, but not at the same exact time. We’re likely also to be without any meaningful European football next season.

The new manager’s probably the most critical issue at this point, but assuming we do get someone in that inspires some hope, we have the problem of Levy and Hitchen and their track record on playing talent management and squad building. Even assuming Kane goes for a tidy sum and/or we can let our deadwood go, how much confidence can we really have in the incomings, in terms of quality and timing?

It’s clearly going to be an eventful summer, and I’d like to believe that we’re all invested enough in Spurs that we will be behind the club if there are any positive moves and genuine intent. But we’re also at a point where we’ve truly had enough of Levy and company and have no patience left with more bullshit and myopic decisions.

No. It’s not.

I think losing a CL final was pure shite for my soul.
I had real hope and expectations that night. Think it fucked the squad up a bit too.

This season all a bit meh. No fans. A dickhead manager.

Worst case scenario we might even make a profit!!

tenor.gif

Exactly. The near League wins in our golden Poch era bloody well hurt at the time but there was a real sense of "well, we're at this level now. we'll keep cracking on until we knock the bastard off"
but now, I look back on those couple of seasons and feel sick. We had the best team in England, great energy, positivity abounds... and it has all absolutely crumbled to the ground.

I think it will haunt me for a long long time the fact we didn't win anything then.
The good news is that with those couple of seasons of "moderate success"and the champions League final, spurs will have picked up many new fans around the world who believed they were on to a winner. We won't have to suffer alone

Lol you can't include the 1990s in the subject and then ask if this is the worst season. Honestly, some of the stuff back then was waaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnk.

Stop chat shit now the past is gone the last ten years they have been one of our main rivals along with woolwich Manu Man city liverpool and others this living in the past shit annoys the fuck out of me.

You write, “they have been one of our main rivals along with woolwich Manu Man city liverpool and others”. You are conflating teams we compete with to our one true rival - Woolwich.
The rest are teams we want to beat, out perform. We might not like them but we arent obsessed by them.
Chelski on the other hand are weirdly obsessed with us they chant “we hate Tottenham” before every game, they and their plastic fans are desperate to have us as their rivals but by and large we dont give a shit about them and thats the way it should be. They are a bunch of wankers.

I think the main difference is the fan base have realized we will never , if we get any ,sustain , build on success.
Enic FC chase pounds over Glory and it ain't getting better

That is a very good point. Previously it was always let’s get the stadium money maker built then we can push up. Now it’s done and we are going backwards.

Much as Tim was a dick I much preferred his football to Jose/Mason/AVB. I was actually entertained for a few of the games.
I cannot disagree with that, but the level of cringe was unbearable for me . It depends also on personal stuff, I guess: back then I was in a worse place than now

I have never hated a manager more than Jose before he joined us. But when he joined I swallowed all my hatred and wanted to support him : this has been the biggest effort I have ever made as a Spurs fan (I have even believed early in the season that we would have won the title with him). But in the end the feeling I have always had for him was right.

Now I don't even hate him: year after year I just pity him more

The fact that he has been sacked a few weeks ago makes me bear all this current shit a bit more (I was afraid that Levy wouldn't have sacked him because of the cost involved)

I think that next season may not be much better in terms of achievements , but it will feel much better, for two reasons:
- it will have a feel of a new beginning
- lower expectations

Big summer for the bald guy. Let's see how the words he said yesterday will turn into facts

The first thing I am expecting is to know who is our new manager on Monday morning

It's been pretty miserable but hasn't left me feeling anywhere near as bad as lasagne-Gate and Chelsea beating Bayern.
Those were particular moments though and it is usually those that stay with you. But you'll be hard pressed to find a season that has had such a continuous serious of let downs and disappointments as this one. An absolute shambles from start to finish.

2/10.

No it’s not the worst season, not even close. It’s a poor season by the standards that Poch set but judged against the last 25 years it’s a decent points return. We played a final as well.

It just feels like the worst because we were so close to making the final step towards being competitive in the league and instead we’ve shat ourselves and gone back to mediocrity.

I think what's uniquely shit about where we are now, is that in under 2 years we went from Moura's clinching goal at Ajax to send us into the Champions League final, we had Harry, Son, Eriksen, Dele, Toby, Jan, Hugo all playing at pretty much a world class standard, we had one of the most coveted managers in the world in Poch, and the best new stadium in the world, repeated CL qualifications and.....

...now we look like a shambles of team about to start a 4 year rebuild with not enough money and a return to mid-table mediocrity and salt in the wound the goons who are utter shite are probably going to edge past us on the last day of the season.

It's that sick feeling that we had a generational opportunity with Harry, Dele and Son and we fucked it.
That's it. We have gone from as high as we have been in a very long time to this now. All our hopes and dreams crushed and now falling apart around us. Players and a manager who were sublime to players and a recently departed manager who were ridiculous.
I know we always pick ourselves up but I can't at the moment see how we go forward. :dempsey:

In my supporting memory (1995 till today) - yes absolutely and mostly due to the scale of collapse from genuine title contenders in 2017 to this

The late 90s / early 2000-2003 teams were worse in terms of player quality - but expectations were also lower then.

We are without a doubt in for rudderless times

1993/4: We finished 3 points off relegation
1996/7: We finished 6 points off relegation
1997/8: We finished 4 points off relegation

I understand our expectations have shifted, but this is why deep down I just can't get too worked up about sacking the board, sacking Levy, calling Mason a cunt, and whining that we've never had it so bad.

Newsflash: we have had it this bad and indeed much much worse. I'm not saying this season has been good enough, not by a long shot. We reached heights we could only dream of previously under Poch and the failure to build on it is criminal. The blame lies solely with Levy, and not because of a lack of investment but bad investment. We've spunked money down the drain on players who aren't good enough, or aren't wanted by a manager. This is what needs to change.

Maybe I'm getting old. Maybe the pandemic year has made me tired. I don't know. All I know is next year we go again.

Back
Top Bottom