Is this the worst season of modern times?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is this the worst season of modern times (1990’s onwards)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Add in the fact that in amongst the gloom have been spikes of really good stuff where you think "excellent we're getting our act together" and then follow it up with another shitshow.
Every week this year the main crumbs of hope seem to come BEFORE we play. Teams around us lose or draw and I think 'Right! This is our chance!' And then we play OUR game and foul it all up.

Memories fade over time. I can kind of remember Campbell leaving for Woolwich, Santini managing the club for a very short period, Hoddle not being the saviour we hoped. More recently the shit football and meltdown under AVB with Timmy coming in to save the season.

We have been closer to the bottom but honestly the football this season has been perhaps the worst I have seen. The whole thing has been a shitshow. The 90’s where hard but we did play some great football at times even if the defensive was a joke. This regression has been pretty brutal.

- Covid and no fans in the stadium (maybe for the better).
- Jose the Dinosaur and the total lack of coaching to the point we have regressed into a pub team with a few superstars.
- the ESL and the whole farce.
- Either Chav or City winning the CL and United probably winning the EL. While Hammers and Arse will probably finish above us.
- Kane giving up, maybe he will stay but only because no-one will pay the 150-200m it will cost to prise him away.
- Levy taking the piss. Fans in the gods being charged £60 a ticket.
- crap VAR still around and not improving.
- regression from a top 4/6 team to this.
- players looking like they have given up.
- losing to Zagreb 3-0

At a minimum we have gone back to the AVB collapse with a terrible manager going and a disillusioned squad. My hope is the failures spur the club on to action like they got Poch and got rid of the deadwood. But this has been one almighty shit season and for me the worst I can remember because of all the different things that have gone on at the same time.

I guess to finish off the season United lost the EL but Chavs won the Champions League while we stayed above Arse but lost out to West Ham in the league table. Yeh fucking shit.

I guess to me modern times is probably since I started supporting Spurs. That's about 30 odd years.

We've had much worse seasons. I do try to be positive as much as possible but this season is the first in a long time where I've become pretty disinterested the longer the season has went on.

I freely admit that I didn't make plans to watch the last few games, and only caught them if I was quite literally, doing nothing else. Just a complete disconnect.

I am glad we managed to squeeze into Europe, even if it appears to be the consolation prize. We didn't deserve Europe, not on your nelly, but I'll take it.

That we still finished above Woolwich is the only other slight plus from a season that promised so much. I still can't get my head around the fact that the same side who ripped many teams apart in the early days of the season was the same one who limped over the line in the end.

The amount of times we quite obviously threw away points over the season did my head in too. The football wasn't always great but in those games I think the fan base as a whole night have been more willing to accept that crap brand if we had held onto a lead a bit more often, I'm thinking West Ham, Wolves, Palace etc, amongst a few others. The different shine that those 'wins' may have put on our season cannot be underestimated.

Anyway, thank fuck it is over.

The question posed by the OP can only be answered by analysing the perceived outlook of the individual and will no doubt be influenced by the era when they were first introduced to the Tottenham drug.

Its even more difficult to discern at a time when we have all become armchair fans and experience the sense of detachment that goes with this inability to attend games in person.

We've all become telly addicts hooked on watching a second rate soap opera.....we know it isn't good for us but can't resist the temptation to tune in.

We became the only team I ever remember to turn 1-0 up into an emotional crisis and equiovolent to 1-0 down most games.

Yes, although seems like we are setting ourselves up for an even worse season coming up if we don’t get our act together.

Yes, although seems like we are setting ourselves up for an even worse season coming up if we don’t get our act together.
We've been in decline for at least a couple of years now, its all downhill from here. Once the sticking plaster that's Harry Kane goes its difficult to see how were going to be competitive again on an Enic budget.

It's been pretty miserable but hasn't left me feeling anywhere near as bad as lasagne-Gate and Chelsea beating Bayern.
Both were horrific, heart breaking endings to the season. This season started with such promise but the season has had a slow, painful death. This season has brought me less overall joy than any others in recent memory though. The style of play has been so poor at times and I really thought we would get a trophy.

Edit: I’ve also come out of the season with no hope or expectations for next season. I now dislike more players than I like for the first time. At least in the 90’s we expected to do badly and didn’t have Ramon Vega spouting off to the press about how he needed game time like Winks.

It's the hopelessness of the situation at the moment which makes it feel so bad because it's very hard to see an avenue to success. Beforehand we were generally always pushing forward, I used to think 'okay that was a shit season but I see what we're trying to do'.

I feel like the things we need to do to get back to success on the field are highly reliant on chance due to our shit recruitment and a ownership that are unwilling to change ... I can't take any solace in the fact that Kane may leave as I literally have no faith the money will be invested wisely, and then where will we be?

We have seen the team rise to the heights that were being touted by the club only now I realise it was mainly a ruse and we never intended to be that successful, we were sold a dream.

It will be interesting to see what happens with season ticket and membership renewals. Will there be a big drop off or will people just grit their teeth and sign on again? I haven't renewed my membership yet, but I know that I will.

Last season I could count on my hand about 12 truly awful moments. This season I could add about ten more to that. Woolwich pipping us in the final game sums it up nicely. I think what’s worse this season is thinking back to how promising things looked at the end of 2020. With a world famous Manager at the helm to boot! Remember beating Arse, City and then Man U away 1-6? Fuck sake
You raise a good point. We were in, really, a false position when briefly top and had managed to grind out results.

When you consider that start and where we're finishing it shows just how fucking bad 2021 has been. Bottom half stuff.

It's been pretty miserable but hasn't left me feeling anywhere near as bad as lasagne-Gate and Chelsea beating Bayern.
The thing for me is that I really cared about those two events and was gutted and surprised at them happening but after Xmas this season the writing has been on the wall!

I said no straight away, 'cos I remember feeling in pain watching the AVB era... but you make quite a good case.... maybe it is the worst... I don't know... 😔
We had some good moments though and there was room for some hope for quite a lot of it... I'm not sure I even remember feeling hope under AVB...

Under Francis/Gross/Graham there was usually one player at the club who could do things to get you excited in a game ... like Sheringham or Ginola. As a team we were just poor.

Agree with that we have more now with Son or Ndombele or Bale not just Kane. I don’t think though I have seen us as poorly coached as this season, our tactics under Jose were similar to my old youth team, sit back and hoof it forward without any obvious patterns of play. I suppose one defence of Mason has been there has been bits of football recently.

Back
Top Bottom