Is this the worst season of modern times?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is this the worst season of modern times (1990’s onwards)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Define modern times?
PL era? Hell no. Groß and Francis had terrible seasons. Losing 6-1 to Chelsea
Enic era? No. 2004 was horrible. So was the season we had 2 pts in 8
Last decade? No. The Sherwood season was horrible.
Since Poch? Absolutely

Have the 90s been mentioned yet?
At least i had endless nights of pills, coke, weed, girls and clubbing to make up for Spurs being shit in the 90's. I was somewhat occupied with other activities. Not a bad decade to be a teen/20 something in London..

Now i'm 2 decades older and those youthful distractions are no more. Spurs have turned to shit and i can't even get off my face and forget about it.

Life sucks sometimes.

Looking at it pragmatically under a microscope on a decade by decade basis from 1960 we'd have to admit (those long enough in the tooth) the 60's were our glory years, the 70's were dreadful, the 80's were fun and exciting, the 90's were (flirting with relegation) naughty and the 2000's were mediocre.....however since 2009 I believe we have not finished below our par of 6th (albeit without adding silverware) and regularly participated in European competition.

We all like to win stuff but I for one don't support the view of rather winning a cup and getting relegated as a consequence. Ideally we set ourselves up as a club capable of competing on all fronts and we've been close on a number of occasions. Sadly the proverbial has hit us fans atm and its completely natural for the rank and file to react in the way they are currently.

I bet most of us can't wait for this season to be over and maybe give us time to re-group, recharge the batteries and reflect.....it can't get any worse, can it?:mourwhat:

I don't know if this is the worst season, but with the state of the world and the fact that I lost looking forward to watching Tottenham play, this is definitely the least I've been emotionally involved. Even the Cup final, it just didn't feel like it mattered? Or it was just another bottle?

Let's face it, just we spent years trying to get rid of the "Spursy" tag, turns out we've been Spursy for the last few seasons now.

We were spanked brutally by Liverpool and city that season if I remember correctly. Eriksen had some beautiful free kicks which saved us on more than one occasion
That’s the season Suarez was GOATing - we got hit for 5-6 around Christmas and AVB was gone the next day

Now that brings me back. I was actually at that game. I was 13 but remember it being pretty toxic. Poyet was sent off and Damien Duff tore our defence apart. Met Graeme Souness before the game somehow; he was a miserable cunt even then.
Was it in the Elbow Room?

Yes, this season has been bad, but my big worry is that next season could be worse.

Luckily, I'm wrong about most things.

Yes, this season has been bad, but my big worry is that next season could be worse.

Luckily, I'm wrong about most things.
I’m always hopeful and will be watching on Sunday when Harry is on the bench with Dier and Winks and Son

Scarlett up front with Lucas
Rodon CB
And
N’Dombele running the show taking on oxygen every ten minutes

The 90's were far worse. I guess many on here are too young or newer supporters but to even compare now to then is laughable tbh
You are right the 90's were far worse. I used to cheer very year we got to 40 points )still do to be honest) but I didn't expect any more, perhaps the odd cup run.
Its the sense of the collapse now that has got to me, from competing in the PL and CL to potentially losing some of our best recent players.
We have been in this position many times before and we will turn it around eventually (who knows it might happen this summer). I just don't want to return to mid table mediocrity waiting for a scrappy draw at home to Woolwich to claim some sort of bragging rights.

Club feels rudderless at the moment.

Don't know why but this feels worse.

Maybe it's because of being competitive recently.

But I think that the main reason is that the players seem to rule in the club but not try on the pitch.

Dier says he must play CH
DELE just sulks
Bale doesn't seem bothered

Besides this We don't seem to be able to pick the right team

Depends on your definition of "modern history" if you say last fifty years then not even close ... 1976/77 clearly massively worse .... as were most of the 90's and early 00's from 1991 to 2004 we failed to finish higher than 7th ....

If you say the last decade then arguably yes, even then a cup final makes it not a total disaster, the issue of course is expectation versus reality .... we all expected better so we are all disappointed, but if you look at it purely by numbers it was just an average season. Of course football is more than just the numbers ... empty ground, nightmare manager, terrible performances when it mattered ... on that basis it was a shocker, lose tomorrow and finish below Woolwich will sum it all up very nicely ... a year to forget.

Yes, but during COVID with no fans in the stadium for basically a year and a half? Makes me feel like it’s almost surreal or somehow just doesn’t count.

now let’s see if we’re this bad next season when things will hopefully be more normal, but while this was bad, everything is so off this last year it seems to not matter as much.

I hate Chelski fans and how the club has managed to buy its success, but we got to remember and remind them (when having the misfortune of having to interact with a gobby one) that Woolwich are our rivals, not them. Fulham or Millwall is their historical level.
Stop chat shit now the past is gone the last ten years they have been one of our main rivals along with woolwich Manu Man city liverpool and others this living in the past shit annoys the fuck out of me.

Back
Top Bottom