Is this the worst season of modern times?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is this the worst season of modern times (1990’s onwards)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it is certainly the worst season we have had since George Graham years.

The quality of football.
The total disconnect between the club and its fan base.

First time I have felt we are no longer Tottenham, and only way I think that comes back now is removal of the ownership.
These two are the biggest for me,and the 2nd point in particurlar.
I have never felt so detached from the club i have supported all my life.

It's been pretty miserable but hasn't left me feeling anywhere near as bad as lasagne-Gate and Chelsea beating Bayern.
Both were horrific, heart breaking endings to the season. This season started with such promise but the season has had a slow, painful death. This season has brought me less overall joy than any others in recent memory though. The style of play has been so poor at times and I really thought we would get a trophy.

Edit: I’ve also come out of the season with no hope or expectations for next season. I now dislike more players than I like for the first time. At least in the 90’s we expected to do badly and didn’t have Ramon Vega spouting off to the press about how he needed game time like Winks.

I have never hated a manager more than Jose before he joined us. But when he joined I swallowed all my hatred and wanted to support him : this has been the biggest effort I have ever made as a Spurs fan (I have even believed early in the season that we would have won the title with him). But in the end the feeling I have always had for him was right.

Now I don't even hate him: year after year I just pity him more

The fact that he has been sacked a few weeks ago makes me bear all this current shit a bit more (I was afraid that Levy wouldn't have sacked him because of the cost involved)

The gauge for me is apathy - Jose made me less interested.
Last time I felt like that was avb/sherwood, before that it was George Graham in charge.
Add into the mix COVID and the Tories and a hangover from the CL final and it’s been truly appalling.

I have never hated a manager more than Jose before he joined us. But when he joined I swallowed all my hatred and wanted to support him : this has been the biggest effort I have ever made as a Spurs fan (I have even believed early in the season that we would have won the title with him). But in the end the feeling I have always had for him was right.

Now I don't even hate him: year after year I just pity him more

Yeh he just seems washed up. Like the big bully at school who went through puberty 3 years early and was bigger than everyone but is now only 5’8ft and fat and kind of embarrassing to the point you no longer hate him but pity him.

The gauge for me is apathy - Jose made me less interested.
Last time I felt like that was avb/sherwood, before that it was George Graham in charge.
Add into the mix COVID and the Tories and a hangover from the CL final and it’s been truly appalling.

They haven’t banned alcohol yet.

I think it's so hard to judge because in relative terms our profile and expectations have grown over time (the thing it's worth praising ENIC for overall). Despite being so pissed off with last night, I don't think we're 'fucked', so to speak. We need an effective overhaul.

But, in terms of an individual year of regression, this is potentially the worst season of modern times.

I guess in terms of expectations, yes it's the worst season in many years. The nineties and early noughties had bad seasons but the expectations were low. In recent years we have nearly touched the biggest glories so this year's collapse has been hard to take...... especially as before Christmas things were looking good

Last season I could count on my hand about 12 truly awful moments. This season I could add about ten more to that. Woolwich pipping us in the final game sums it up nicely. I think what’s worse this season is thinking back to how promising things looked at the end of 2020. With a world famous Manager at the helm to boot! Remember beating Arse, City and then Man U away 1-6? Fuck sake

I think it is certainly the worst season we have had since George Graham years, and probably for longer than that.

The quality/style of football.
The total disconnect between the club and its fan base.

First time I have felt we are no longer Tottenham, and only way I think that comes back now is removal of the ownership.
Spot on. I've hated watching us this season. Just been watching out of habit, there is no excitement or nerves. Wanting Mourinho out from the end of January, it was painful seeing him clinging on. I'm at a stage where i dont care if any of our players leave, i cant stand the owners and unlike other shit seasons we haven't been blooding youngsters so there isnt much hope going forward. But the life of a football fan, probably come August we'll be up for it again.

Spot on. I've hated watching us this season. Just been watching out of habit, there is no excitement or nerves. Wanting Mourinho out from the end of January, it was painful seeing him clinging on. I'm at a stage where i dont care if any of our players leave, i cant stand the owners and unlike other shit seasons we haven't been blooding youngsters so there isnt much hope going forward. But the life of a football fan, probably come August we'll be up for it again.

Same here I don’t like the football, the owners, the board, the manager or most of the players. Yet still addicted to Spurs. Bollocks.

Depends on how you define modern times I suppose. It'll be relative. To me modern times still means post-92 (ie the Premier League era). And in this case, it's not even close.
Same for me.
I think there were 12 consecutive seasons when we finished between 7th and 14th. The idea we played open attacking football in that period is laughable.
That said it has been a miserable season, certainly one of the worst in the last decade.

I'd say yes, especially given where we stood in Spring 2019.

It's been a calamitous downward spiral since Amsterdam.

Back in the 90s-00s I expected us to be a bit crap, no one expected a chaotic downward spiral like this.

None of it is Levy's fault tho, none whatsoever. If you think that You Clearly Know Nothing About Business apparently

It's the hopelessness of the situation at the moment which makes it feel so bad because it's very hard to see an avenue to success. Beforehand we were generally always pushing forward, I used to think 'okay that was a shit season but I see what we're trying to do'.

I feel like the things we need to do to get back to success on the field are highly reliant on chance due to our shit recruitment and a ownership that are unwilling to change ... I can't take any solace in the fact that Kane may leave as I literally have no faith the money will be invested wisely, and then where will we be?

We have seen the team rise to the heights that were being touted by the club only now I realise it was mainly a ruse and we never intended to be that successful, we were sold a dream.

I think what's uniquely shit about where we are now, is that in under 2 years we went from Moura's clinching goal at Ajax to send us into the Champions League final, we had Harry, Son, Eriksen, Dele, Toby, Jan, Hugo all playing at pretty much a world class standard, we had one of the most coveted managers in the world in Poch, and the best new stadium in the world, repeated CL qualifications and.....

...now we look like a shambles of team about to start a 4 year rebuild with not enough money and a return to mid-table mediocrity and salt in the wound the goons who are utter shite are probably going to edge past us on the last day of the season.

It's that sick feeling that we had a generational opportunity with Harry, Dele and Son and we fucked it.
Exactly. The near League wins in our golden Poch era bloody well hurt at the time but there was a real sense of "well, we're at this level now. we'll keep cracking on until we knock the bastard off"
but now, I look back on those couple of seasons and feel sick. We had the best team in England, great energy, positivity abounds... and it has all absolutely crumbled to the ground.

I think it will haunt me for a long long time the fact we didn't win anything then.

I'd say yes, especially given where we stood in Spring 2019.

It's been a calamitous downward spiral since Amsterdam.

Back in the 90s-00s I expected us to be a bit crap, no one expected an implosion like this.

None of it is Levy's fault tho, none whatsoever. If you think that You Clearly Know Nothing About Business apparently
Its the fact that certain players and a certain manager brought hope into our lives that make this one seem so bad.
In two years all the positivity has been sucked out of us.

It will be interesting to see what happens with season ticket and membership renewals. Will there be a big drop off or will people just grit their teeth and sign on again? I haven't renewed my membership yet, but I know that I will.

This has been bad, at least in previous seasons when we were bad/average, we were consistently bad/average, there was no or little hope at any point in the season.....

But fuck this year has just been one kick in the balls after another, top of the league going in to the Liverpool game in December, in full control in Europe to being humiliated by an average team, playing bad football but winning was ok, but playing bad football while losing is as bad as it gets, not turning up for another cup final, European Super League fiasco, only a few games ago against Leeds we had top 4 in our own hands and melted like a chocolate fireguard, against Villa last night Europa league was in our own hands and melted again, and the prospect of being a founding member of the Europa rejects league gives me chills (and you just know the footballing gods have us earmarked for such an event) and of course we are 99% certain to lose a man that we thought would break Jimmy Greaves goal record.....

It’s not just the above that hurts either, it’s the knowing that next season isn’t going to be much better as a result of this cluster fuck of a season, no manager is gonna flick a switch and make us great, we would have to spend an obscene amount of money to get the basic, yes basic players, required to give the manager a fighting chance....

I think that next season may not be much better in terms of achievements , but it will feel much better, for two reasons:
- it will have a feel of a new beginning
- lower expectations

Big summer for the bald guy. Let's see how the words he said yesterday will turn into facts

The first thing I am expecting is to know who is our new manager on Monday morning

It's been pretty miserable but hasn't left me feeling anywhere near as bad as lasagne-Gate and Chelsea beating Bayern.
Those were particular moments though and it is usually those that stay with you. But you'll be hard pressed to find a season that has had such a continuous serious of let downs and disappointments as this one. An absolute shambles from start to finish.

2/10.

Back
Top Bottom