Is this the worst season of modern times?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is this the worst season of modern times (1990’s onwards)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The 90's were far worse. I guess many on here are too young or newer supporters but to even compare now to then is laughable tbh

I remember them. Didn’t actually mind the Gerry Francis days, some proper good games, we didn’t really have any expectation at the time. Attack was sometimes good, defence was a pile of shit mostly.

This hurts worse, we got towards the top and fell backwards to where we came while playing the most god awful football the club has seen on par or worse than Graham. And that’s before we come to the embarrassment of the ESL. For a single season the worst I can remember and now our best player we have wants out.

The 90's were far worse. I guess many on here are too young or newer supporters but to even compare now to then is laughable tbh
It was a long time ago though and we had some good times back then! I remember Klinsmann bicycles and winning a League Cup. League form back then we weren't anywhere near recent times.... But I don't remember it feeling as bad to be lower down. Was happier back then, because we weren't used to being further up. It was Martin Jol who really began to change all that in my opinion. He's the foundation of the modern era. Maybe a few seasons around the late 90's - early 00's were worse than this... at least in the league... it's a close call... but I'm not sure I remember as much toxicity back then, as there is now... plus the coronavirus does make it a bit worse...

I know what you mean, after Klinsmann, Barmby and Popescu left and we had Gerry Francis, Christan Gross and George Graham and a ton of shite players were really bleak. The worst i think i felt though was when we finally got rid of Sugar and Graham, got Hoddle and then realised we were still shite in his 2nd full season. That 2002 to 2004 period. It felt a bit like now with a load of ageing, underperforming players who look like they're going through the motions. But we turned it around fairly quickly with Arnesen and Jol so there is hope.

It was a long time ago though and we had some good times back then! I remember Klinsmann bicycles and winning a League Cup. League form back then we weren't anywhere near recent times.... But I don't remember it feeling as bad to be lower down. Was happier back then, because we weren't used to being further up. It was Martin Jol who really began to change all that in my opinion. He's the foundation of the modern era. Maybe a few seasons around the late 90's - early 00's were worse than this... at least in the league... it's a close call... but I'm not sure I remember as much toxicity back then, as there is now... plus the coronavirus does make it a bit worse...
Well, it was the 90's! We were generally happier back then weren't we! Aceeeed, fall of the berlin wall, good music, phoneboxes, jumpers for goalposts ... aceeeeeeedddd

Now. Social media, pandemics, cancel culture, tik tok music, it's fucked times in general man

I know what you mean, after Klinsmann, Barmby and Popescu left and we had Gerry Francis, Christan Gross and George Graham and a ton of shite players were really bleak. The worst i think i felt though was when we finally got rid of Sugar and Graham, got Hoddle and then realised we were still shite in his 2nd full season. That 2002 to 2004 period. It felt a bit like now with a load of ageing, underperforming players who look like they're going through the motions. But we turned it around fairly quickly with Arnesen and Jol so there is hope.
Under Francis/Gross/Graham there was usually one player at the club who could do things to get you excited in a game ... like Sheringham or Ginola. As a team we were just poor.

Everton on the first day was the one of the worst home performances I'd seen in years.

We've since played the same or worse 9 or 10 times. Can't ever remember so many thoroughly shit and abject displays in a single season.

Under Francis/Gross/Graham there was usually one player at the club who could do things to get you excited in a game ... like Sheringham or Ginola. As a team we were just poor.

Agree with that we have more now with Son or Ndombele or Bale not just Kane. I don’t think though I have seen us as poorly coached as this season, our tactics under Jose were similar to my old youth team, sit back and hoof it forward without any obvious patterns of play. I suppose one defence of Mason has been there has been bits of football recently.

Define modern times?
PL era? Hell no. Groß and Francis had terrible seasons. Losing 6-1 to Chelsea
Enic era? No. 2004 was horrible. So was the season we had 2 pts in 8
Last decade? No. The Sherwood season was horrible.
Since Poch? Absolutely

Hell no. We were utter, utter turd in the late 90s and no League Cup can make up for the eyeball gouging horror of peak George Graham tactics.

I still remember the sadness in little Sergei's eyes as he watched yet another long punt from Neil Sullivan go over his head to the awaiting 6ft 2in centre backs.

1993/4: We finished 3 points off relegation
1996/7: We finished 6 points off relegation
1997/8: We finished 4 points off relegation

I understand our expectations have shifted, but this is why deep down I just can't get too worked up about sacking the board, sacking Levy, calling Mason a cunt, and whining that we've never had it so bad.

Newsflash: we have had it this bad and indeed much much worse. I'm not saying this season has been good enough, not by a long shot. We reached heights we could only dream of previously under Poch and the failure to build on it is criminal. The blame lies solely with Levy, and not because of a lack of investment but bad investment. We've spunked money down the drain on players who aren't good enough, or aren't wanted by a manager. This is what needs to change.

Maybe I'm getting old. Maybe the pandemic year has made me tired. I don't know. All I know is next year we go again.

A football club, and this season in particular is not just about what you do on the pitch though, and is in relation to the quality of the team you have.

What has happened off the pitch, and the style of football we played on it, with the players we had available, not necessarily the final position, makes it by far worse than any of those seasons.

Basically what has happened this, and to an extent last season really means as things stand to me, we are no longer Tottenham Hotspur FC.
We need to get our club back, because at the moment it is the first time in my life, where it doesn't feel we have a football club to support any more.

Define modern times?
PL era? Hell no. Groß and Francis had terrible seasons. Losing 6-1 to Chelsea
Enic era? No. 2004 was horrible. So was the season we had 2 pts in 8
Last decade? No. The Sherwood season was horrible.
Since Poch? Absolutely

Sherwood football was better that this. I even prefer AVB football to Jose’s and that is saying something.

Depending on your age, this isn't the worst season of modern times but i think for a lot of people it feels that way because of the level we've fallen from and the speed of that decline.

From CL finalists to struggling to make the top 8 in 2 years. With our best player about to exit and some god-awful football played. A number of failed signings and players who look to have given up which i think makes fans do likewise.

A football club, and this season in particular is not just about what you do on the pitch though, and is in relation to the quality of the team you have.

What has happened off the pitch, and the style of football we played on it, with the players we had available, not necessarily the final position, makes it by far worse than any of those seasons.

Basically what has happened this, and to an extent last season really means as things stand to me, we are no longer Tottenham Hotspur FC.
We need to get our club back, because at the moment it is the first time in my life, where it doesn't feel we have a football club to support any more.

Style of football and entertainment - worst I have ever season.

Results - no 90’s was worse.

Rivals doing better - will be if Chelsea win the CL, United win the EL and West Ham and Woolwich finish above us.

Off the Pitch - easily the worst with Covid, ESL, and Kane wanting out.

To me this season is the worst I have seen bar results which would be a 90’s season.

Have the 90s been mentioned yet?
At least i had endless nights of pills, coke, weed, girls and clubbing to make up for Spurs being shit in the 90's. I was somewhat occupied with other activities. Not a bad decade to be a teen/20 something in London..

Now i'm 2 decades older and those youthful distractions are no more. Spurs have turned to shit and i can't even get off my face and forget about it.

Life sucks sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom