Is Top 4 Gone Now And What Would Be The Ramifications?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Top 4 Gone?

• Total voters
We can't catch up to the Man Utd or Wolves teams that could be 5 points in front of us, but we can catch up to a Leicester team who could be 8 points clear of us?

tenor.gif

We need to be in Europe.
The Europa league is actually something we could win and you don't want to be in it.
No I don't want to be in it, as thing stand. With Chelsea and Man United retooling and, Leicester and Wolves eleven as they are, I don't see us competing at all. I also don't agree that 'we can win it' we clearly have a divergence in our perception of our squad and management. One trophy under ENIC kind of indicates why I feel the way I do. Love optimist but a season of pragmatic building is in my honest opinion the best bet we have. Saturday Wednesday recovery periods the only hope we have of keeping our best eleven fit and taking enough points to return to the top table.

Last edited:
We can't catch up to the Man Utd or Wolves teams that could be 5 points in front of us, but we can catch up to a Leicester team who could be 8 points clear of us?

tenor.gif
They have easier fixtures than Leicester and are playing better than Leicester. Not sure why this is difficult to understand.

No I don't want to be in it, as thing stand. With Chelsea and Man United retooling and, Leicester and Wolves eleven as they are, I don't see us competing at all. I also don't agree that 'we can win it' we clearly have a divergence in our perception of our squad and management. One trophy under ENIC kind of indicates why I feel the way I do. Love optimist but a season of pragmatic building is in my honest opinion the best bet we have. Saturday Wednesday recovery periods the only hope we have of keeping our best eleven fit and taking enough points to return to the top table.

Makes no sense.... We're supposedly not good enough to win the EL (and overcome the farmers that many ridicule it for comprising), but we are good enough to usurp 2 other members of the 'big six' + Wolves & Leicester and bag top 4 or better?

(Should we throw the domestic cups too? Afterall they'll require a cup run, possible 2 games a week scenarios and likely require us to beat at least 2 of the remainder of the top 8 teams.)

Even if you're right and we are good enough for a crack at the EPL; EL would be a great tool for developing our fringe players..... As it was last time(s) we were in it.

Last edited:
If we are trying to build the team up wouldn't having Europa League games to get minutes for guys like Tanganga, Sessegnon, Parrott, Skipp, Cirkin, Gedson be a positive?

I agree that if we were already a strong side with a set rotation competing for top 4 or a title perhaps playing in the Europa League could be seen as taking away from that but with where our squad is and the needs we have having Europa as a chance to see what we have with some guys should be a good thing.

OK, let's assume the season finishes
Liverpool
City
Chelsea and United 3rd or 4th.

Here is the mini-league for 5th place.

3Leicester322855
6Wolves321152
7Tottenham31945

LEICESTERWOLVESSPURS
Thu 2 July
SHEFF UTDA
04-Jul04-JulMon 6 July
PALACE (H)ARSE-NAL(H)EVERTONH
07-Jul08-JulThu 9 July
ARSE-NAL (A)SHEFF U (A)BOURNEMOUTHA
12-Jul12-JulSun 12 July
BOURNEMOUTH (A)EVERTON (H)ARSE-NALH
15-Jul15-JulWed 15 July
SHEFF UNITED (H)BURNLEY (A)NEWCASTLEA
18-Jul18-JulSat 18 July
SPURS (A)PALACE (H)LEICESTERH
26-Jul26-JulSun 26 July
MAN UNITED (H)CHELSEA (A)PALACEA

It would be delicious if Arse-nal were to beat Leicester and Wolves. And then Chelsea to beat Wolves last game to present us with 5th and possible ECL next season.
Of course we need to win every game but if you can't dream....

Last edited:
Leicester losing 2-0 at Goodison at half time. Like I said last night, they’ve been imploding since Christmas. If we beat them at home, we should finish ahead of them.

Getting ahead of one of Chavs, Man U and Wolves is the tricky bit. Chavs still have to play Wolves though and go to Anfield.

If we win our last 6 games, I’d be confident of Top 5, even 15 or 16 points. The problem is it’s nearly 18 months since we’ve strung 4 consecutive league wins together. 9 or 10 points from last 6 is more indicative of what we’ve been Accumulating points wise last 18 months.

I've watched nearly every premier league game and while Woolwich and Wolves have been lucky in a lot of their results
United and Chelsea are just simply playing good football and look capable of winning every game.
Considering we were already behind them we simply cannot compete.
So unless we somehow scrape 5th which would require us to be basically spotless , it ain't gonna happen.
Transfers needed in summer + a pre-season and a fresh start should hopefully close the gap

I wonder how we would fare with just the EPL and domestic cups on our plate rather than any European football on top of that...

Cant imagine we'd be signing anyone if that was the case aside from loans or more N'whatevers.

Could be a riiiight pickle next season

A team that has a defence like ours with aurier , Sanchez and Davies.. a midfield of players like winks and sissoko will not be playing cl next season, or for a lot longer until we have a big change .

Liverpool
City

3Leicester322855
6Wolves321152
7Tottenham31945

LEICESTERWOLVESSPURS
Thu 2 July
SHEFF UTDA
04-Jul04-JulMon 6 July
07-Jul08-JulThu 9 July
12-Jul12-JulSun 12 July
15-Jul15-JulWed 15 July
18-Jul18-JulSat 18 July
26-Jul26-JulSun 26 July

It would be delicious if Arse-nal were to beat Leicester and Wolves. And then Chelsea to beat Wolves last game to present us with 5th and possible ECL next season.

W
Liverpool
City

3Leicester322855
6Wolves321152
7Tottenham31945

LEICESTERWOLVESSPURS
Thu 2 July
SHEFF UTDA
04-Jul04-JulMon 6 July
07-Jul08-JulThu 9 July
12-Jul12-JulSun 12 July
15-Jul15-JulWed 15 July
18-Jul18-JulSat 18 July
26-Jul26-JulSun 26 July

Very disrespectful to Woolwich. They're above us in the table.

That United game is looking even more of a game we had to win. The run Chelsea United are on, they will get 3rd/4th. Only hope is Leicester dropping more points and maybe we can sneak into 5th and that might be enough for UCL

United and Chelsea are just simply playing good football and look capable of winning every game.
Considering we were already behind them we simply cannot compete.
So unless we somehow scrape 5th which would require us to be basically spotless , it ain't gonna happen.

We were competing just fine against Man U and well on the way to collecting all three points until they were awarded a dodgy late penalty. They’ve steam rolled Sheffield United and Brighton since. They’ll have some tougher assignments ahead.

All we can do is focus on ourselves, winning at Bramall Lane tomorrow night.

I wouldn’t rule out the Spammers picking up something against Chavs tonight.

We were competing just fine against Man U and well on the way to collecting all three points until they were awarded a dodgy late penalty. They’ve steam rolled Sheffield United and Brighton since. They’ll have some tougher assignments ahead.

All we can do is focus on ourselves, winning at Bramall Lane tomorrow night.

I wouldn’t rule out the Spammers picking up something against Chavs tonight.

Very prescient on my part, if I may say so! Spammers beat Chavs 3-2.

If we beat Leicester, they´d be 4 points ahead of us (two bad results), just like Wolves and United. Let´s go step by step, without big expectations. But we are still in it.

So we can catch Leicester but thinking about catching Chelsea, who couldn't score from open play and conceded 4 goals against West Ham are uncatchable.....

tenor.gif

Being honest, it’s looking a bit unlikely but it’s still there to play for.
Chelsea losing tonight was a real surprise and Leicester have struggled since the restart so don’t give up hope just yet.

So we can catch Leicester but thinking about catching Chelsea, who couldn't score from open play and conceded 4 goals against West Ham are uncatchable.....

tenor.gif
They have had a hard time picking themselves up after a bad result this season, let’s hope this is the start of a bad run for them and an epic run by us.

Am I right in thinking we are 6 points off them if we win tomorrow?

Back
Top Bottom