Is Top 4 Gone Now And What Would Be The Ramifications?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Top 4 Gone?

• Total voters
It was weird seeing the boys live tonight. We have plenty of technically nice, pretty players but we don't seek to have a lot of brains or craftiness regarding off ball movement, panache, ruthlessness. It felt like a few are either really struggling or just don't know how to get out of third gear.

Are we too easy to defend against? It's bizarre as they all have a nice look when on the ball but we just lack so much energy and soul to our game. It's like theynall play well within themselves there's a real lack of relentless football in so many departments.

Happy with the win and I think they are all really nice players talent wise but something isn't clicking. Gedson clearly has natural ability but I worry that he will turn out too feeble for the league, we'll see about that and we hugely miss Sissoko at the moment. Ndombele is the key to our season, if he can come good and we add at least 1 player this window we have a chance but if Tanguy continues to be stop start I ain't sure we have the legs compared to more dynamic teams like Sheffield United and Wolves etc. Lo Celso looked great but I'm starting to get concerns about Sessegnon and I'm a fan of his as well. We need him to go at players, take them on but he's so worried about making a mistake that he ain't making anything at all.

What I miss, is a true leader in that team. Maybe in the changing room it's different, but a player who will really push everyone out there to give that little bit extra to get it over the line. I just don't see who that is. Doesn't have the be the most technically gifted as you say, someone who is ruthless.

It was weird seeing the boys live tonight. We have plenty of technically nice, pretty players but we don't seek to have a lot of brains or craftiness regarding off ball movement, panache, ruthlessness. It felt like a few are either really struggling or just don't know how to get out of third gear.

Are we too easy to defend against? It's bizarre as they all have a nice look when on the ball but we just lack so much energy and soul to our game. It's like theynall play well within themselves there's a real lack of relentless football in so many departments.

Happy with the win and I think they are all really nice players talent wise but something isn't clicking. Gedson clearly has natural ability but I worry that he will turn out too feeble for the league, we'll see about that and we hugely miss Sissoko at the moment. Ndombele is the key to our season, if he can come good and we add at least 1 player this window we have a chance but if Tanguy continues to be stop start I ain't sure we have the legs compared to more dynamic teams like Sheffield United and Wolves etc. Lo Celso looked great but I'm starting to get concerns about Sessegnon and I'm a fan of his as well. We need him to go at players, take them on but he's so worried about making a mistake that he ain't making anything at all.

I think you’re spot on with these two things. Ndombele has been on the bench for the last couple of games but hasn’t come on, because of his injuries, is Mourinho saving him for a set of games this season? that seems a thing Mourinho ho would do.

Also, tiredness definitely has to factored in, Mourinho said after Norwich that we were very fatigued, we looked a bit leggy towards the end of the Southampton game and could have done without the extra game (although it gives us more chance to hone our game plan, which we do need).

A couple of new additions really would help but also conversely will need time to settle, especially if they come from outside the league. Departures will also help, Eriksen and Rose going may boost morale. So many things to factor in.

What I miss, is a true leader in that team. Maybe in the changing room it's different, but a player who will really push everyone out there to give that little bit extra to get it over the line. I just don't see who that is. Doesn't have the be the most technically gifted as you say, someone who is ruthless.
It's a point that I totally agree with but we have two leaders already and you can't enforce a third. That type of leader can only exist in certain situations (Keane / Viera). In our team currently, that's probably only HK if you want someone to lead by example and he can't be that snarling Jack Russell in midfield that Henderson is.

Similarly, Lloris is not fearsome but he does command immense respect within the club. That's why Mourinho had absolutely no second thoughts about returning him to the first team at the expense of Gazza. "You did your job well Gazz. Thanks".

To the point. A strong 6. Not a leader in the dressing room or one that does the media days. Doesn't have to press flesh with the media all the time but an utter f*cker on the pitch. Happy to call out Dele, Son and HK when they don't track. Snuffs out danger so the game highlights are reduced to what we do.

That's the leader. The guy that says "I've done my job - over to you"

index.php

Man U v Wolves and Leicester v Chavs both ended in draws as I suspected. Won’t be too much ground lost this weekend regardless of result tomorrow but if we are to get 4th, really could do with a statement win tomorrow.

Man U v Wolves and Leicester v Chavs both ended in draws as I suspected. Won’t be too much ground lost this weekend regardless of result tomorrow but if we are to get 4th, really could do with a statement win tomorrow.

Very decent really. The only issue is Sheffield United are a genuine threat now which I kinda like as it's good for the game.

Wolves, Man U, Chelsea and Leicester all dropping points keeps things alive even if we don't get anything tomorrow. That Chelsea away game is a juggernaut for all involved in the race for fourth.

Last edited:
Any of the top ten who go on a decent run can make top 4, IMO, because the way things are currently panning out, there's no one who is an odds on certainty. So we have as much chance as anyone. Mind you, give it a couple of weeks and I might change my mind!

All matches from here on in is huge. In fact they are from the first kick of the season. Nothing to do about Liverpool, but we are qualified to compete for the top 4 imo. We should just make it i would think. But if this doesn't wake Daniel Levy up i don't know what will.

All five of those teams listed play each other during the run in. That's where the league will be won / lost no doubt. The home / away advantage will be huge.

Tottenham Hotspur:
Home - Manchester United, Wolverhampton Wanderers
Away - Chelsea, Sheffield United

Chelsea:
Home - Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United, Wolverhampton Wanderers
Away - Sheffield United

Wolverhampton Wanderers:
Home - none ouch!
Away - Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United, Chelsea, Sheffield United

Sheffield United:
Home - Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea, Wolverhampton Wanderers
Away - Manchester United

Manchester United:
Home - Wolverhampton Wanderers, Sheffield United
Away - Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea

Tomorrow is a free hit. As it stands we are 7 points behind, which most would have been OK with before this weekends games kicked off, especially as Leicester were seconds away from an extra half hour during the week in the cup game vs Villa.

As long as we are still within 6 points of them by the time we get through the game at Stamford Bridge then we have a chance. 13/14 games still to play so 33/36 points. Hopefully we will be closer than 6 points come the end of that Stamford Bridge game but it's tough. Chelsea still have to play Man U, Tottenham, Man City & Liverpool whereas after tomorrow we won't have to play Pool or City, the teams clearly years ahead of the rest.

Any result tomorrow a bonus, let's treated it like its guts and glory but don't be disheartened if we don't get anything as Chelsea, Man U etc keep allowing for defeats to not be too damaging for us,

Back
Top Bottom