Is Top 4 Gone Now And What Would Be The Ramifications?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Top 4 Gone?

• Total voters
We’ve restarted pretty well results wise. 1 game extra played but a point behind the desired position/ places really keeps us with a lot to play for. One dodgy result for those ahead of us and it’s blown wide open.

We've picked up the same number of points as Man U since the restart and 2 points less than the Chavs and Wolves. The Man U game was the proverbial 6 pointer, we just had to win it, with the ground we had to make up. The customary dodgy penalty that they got killed off whatever chance we had.

What are the differences between CL football and a deep Europa League run? a lot of money?
More appealing and better opponents in the CL and the players and staff learn a lot more from playing against Juve, Dortmund and Barca etc. than against the likes of Braga and Malmo.. Fixtures which won't excite most fans at all.

Last edited:
in group stages you usually one star opponent and the rest is shite. I was asking about TV rights
Not really and still of a much higher level than the average EL group and certainly more interesting for the players and fans.

2017/2018: Spurs, Real Madrid, Dortmund, APOEL
2018/2019: Spurs, Barcelona, Inter, PSV
2019/2020: Spurs, Bayern, Red Star, Olympiacos

Goes without saying that you could earn a lot more money in the CL.

Last edited:
I genuinely would rather not make Europe at all. A season of Wednesday/Saturday football and Jose could get us top four and an FA cup. I think we should actively strategically plan and recruit for this, with the squad made fully aware that this is our priority

5Man Utd311749
6Wolves311049
7Tottenham31945

UNITEDWOLVESSPURS
30-Jun27-JunThu 2 July
BHA (A)VILLA (A)SHEFF UTDA
04-Jul04-JulMon 6 July
B'MOUTH (H)ARSE (H)EVERTONH
09-Jul08-JulThu 9 July
VILLA (A)SHEFF U (A)BOURNEMOUTHA
13-Jul12-JulSun 12 July
SOTON (H)EVERTON (H)WoolwichH
15-Jul15-JulWed 15 July
PALACE (A)BURNLEY (A)NEWCASTLEA
18-Jul18-JulSat 18 July
WHU (H)PALACE (H)LEICESTERH
26-Jul26-JulSun 26 July
LEICESTER (A)CHELSEA (A)PALACEA

I genuinely would rather not make Europe at all. A season of Wednesday/Saturday football and Jose could get us top four and an FA cup. I think we should actively strategically plan and recruit for this, with the squad made fully aware that this is our priority

Possibly but we could also win the EL and qualify for the following seasons CL through that route.

Top 4 will be tough, Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Utd look pretty strong going into next season and will spend this summer too to strengthen further.

Wolves have such an easy run in especially with that last Chelsea game likely not meaning much for them that I am not sure we will be able to make up the point difference even though we are clearly the better team.

United as well with the soft schedule will be tough to make up the points as well, especially as we are unlikely to catch them on GD.

5Man Utd311749
6Wolves311049
7Tottenham31945

UNITEDWOLVESSPURS
30-Jun27-JunThu 2 July
BHA (A)VILLA (A)SHEFF UTDA
04-Jul04-JulMon 6 July
09-Jul08-JulThu 9 July
13-Jul12-JulSun 12 July
15-Jul15-JulWed 15 July
18-Jul18-JulSat 18 July
26-Jul26-JulSun 26 July

What a crazy season. I can’t believe we still have a chance of qualifying for any European competition. As your table above shows United are in 5th with 49 points. Last season 5th place at the 31 game stage was 61 points, 56 the season before that and 60 in 16/17. Seems to be that the difference in quality between most teams is narrowing and that it is no longer a given for the big 6 to qualifyfor even the Europa

What a crazy season. I can’t believe we still have a chance of qualifying for any European competition. As your table above shows United are in 5th with 49 points. Last season 5th place at the 31 game stage was 61 points, 56 the season before that and 60 in 16/17. Seems to be that the difference in quality between most teams is narrowing and that it is no longer a given for the big 6 to qualifyfor even the Europa
I think the gulf in quality between Liverpool and City and the rest of the division is stark (despite Chelsea's win) as has been emphasised to me by watching so many games more than I usually would over the last couple of weeks.
Frankly we have been poor in a lot of games and to still be in with a sniff of 5th (and possible ECL next season) is remarkable.

Fings is looking grim...

5Wolves321152
6Man Utd311749
7Tottenham31945

UNITEDWOLVESSPURS
30-JunThu 2 July
BHA (A)SHEFF UTDA
04-Jul04-JulMon 6 July
09-Jul08-JulThu 9 July
13-Jul12-JulSun 12 July
15-Jul15-JulWed 15 July
18-Jul18-JulSat 18 July
26-Jul26-JulSun 26 July

Only thing that might be in our favour is United have an FA Cup game at 17:30 today and their next game is away to Brighton Tuesday 20:15.
They'll have a long trip on the day 'cos all the B&Bs are booked up. :rolleyes:

It’s probably gone now. I think we did the best we could in the bizarre circumstances this year, if that dubious penalty against United doesn’t get given then we are right in the mix. As we are are fixtures are too tough for us to realistically overhaul United. That’s assuming City’s blood money doesn’t get their ban overturned.

It all comes down to that first third of the season under Poch. 14 points from 12 matches is just feeble and made it almost impossible to qualify for the CL, we wasted so many points in easy matches. A season in the Europa might be what we need, with Jose we could actually win it.

It’s probably gone now. I think we did the best we could in the bizarre circumstances this year, if that dubious penalty against United doesn’t get given then we are right in the mix. As we are are fixtures are too tough for us to realistically overhaul United. That’s assuming City’s blood money doesn’t get their ban overturned.

It all comes down to that first third of the season under Poch. 14 points from 12 matches is just feeble and made it almost impossible to qualify for the CL, we wasted so many points in easy matches. A season in the Europa might be what we need, with Jose we could actually win it.
It certainly didn't help but we've had our opportunities under Jose. Chelsea results, wolves at home all when we were 5th, horrible performances at Watford and Burnley. It's been a terrible season.

For me with the state of the squad being as it is, and questions of depth all over the place and the unlikely scenario that the club fills all of those holes in the transfer market means a season without Europe with Jose able to just focus on Domestic wins may be in the best interest long term. Keep working with the youth coming through, redefine what the club is a bit and win something.

I don't see us making up the ground needed for CL now, and EL just doesn't do it for me, even if we'd have a good chance of winning it, are the extra fixtures and wear and tear worth it? I don't think so.

Back
Top Bottom