Italian football!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

English football spent the 90s recovering from the European ban. It's gone from strength to strength since. It's hard to see Serie A bridging the gap, probably a multitude of reasons why. It's easy to see why the Juventus chairman sees a European Super League as the best solution and it's also easy to see why the PL prefer the status quo,
The Serie A, on the other hand, has eaten the advantage starting from the lack of exploitation of Italia 90 to make stadiums well done. The "Serie A football product" has deteriorated as you say. Agnelli is my president and I respect him but I don't share his idea of the Super League

The reason serie A had the best players , (souness and rush even went there in the 80s, two cavemen out of place), was the offer of the highest salaries. Gascoigne was on something like 20k a week 30 years ago. Maradona went there for the same reason.
Clubs owned by old world big boss head of the table type figures who paid cash, bonus stacks in your pocket, dodgy money, often missed payments too but made it back. There was not much of a company. Now the cashflow is a trickle

What is the connection with Italia 90 though? I don't see it
I explained that Italia 90 could be an opportunity to modernize the whole system starting from a new concept of stadium: what it did ten / fifteen years after the Premier League. The managers of PL understood that it was necessary to change the concept of football. Of course, today it has a perhaps too commercial cut but it sells well and therefore today the best salaries and best players come to the UK. Clearly the COVID-19 period is further changing the cards: we will see if corrective actions are taken to the football bubble.

I hadn't seen Guido's post. Sorry but I'm excited: Ternana is really unlucky but that's where I come from and I'm proud of it. We haven't lived there for over ten years (my wife and I) but I come back for my parents

Gigi Buffon is back
Parma: after 20 years

b8ecaebaf8b3cb3fd3e8f42a4fa5d6f3-1.jpg

"The night before I signed my first contract with Juventus, I didn't sleep a wink.
I had a thousand adrenaline.
The next morning, I spent some time with my attorney pondering what to say, about the amount and length of the contract.
When I got to Boniperti's office, I froze: I had lost my words.
I was 17, what could I say in front of someone like him?
For 5 minutes we talked about something else.
At one point, in the middle of the chat, Boniperti turned and said to me:
"Well, that's the contract. Sign."
He totally blew me away.
I took 5 minutes to decide, together with my attorney, outside the office.
The offer was much lower than what we had thought with my agent, but we accepted anyway.
How did you say no to Boniperti and Juventus ".

June 28, 1993, the beginning of a long and romantic love story between Alessandro Del Piero and Juventus. ❤

I followed Lazio because of Gazza, but that soon changed when i learnt more about their fascist fans....

When playing FM i would manage Sampdoria, Parma or Torino so i have a soft spot for those clubs.

Lazio’s supportes are worse.
In January they sticked ( Olimpico stadium) Anna Franck’ s pics in red-yellow ( colors of Roma AC).

Ignore history: bad

Yeah I know.
I think it's a recreation of middle ages "football" that takes place every year ?
Are we turning you into a Spurs fan ?
Hope so, like you comments.

I'm and remain a supporter of Juventus but I really liked Spurs.
You have good play, good team and you are a very english team different from others english team only “on paper”.
You are a beautiful reality.

I don’t like teams with sheikhs who pay huge numbers and upset the League.

I think that when your stadium is ready you will have 10% more points.

This years World Cup will be a poorer event with Italy no in attendance! When you see past Italian team photos through the decades ok theyre grim but the plain blue shirts no bells or whistles just the Italian badge they look fecking intimidating it's what you want in your national team.

There's one thing that has to be admired but perhaps it more a culture thing or Italian mentality and that is over the years some if not most of the great Italian players of various generations have opted to stay in Italy and play their football! Maldini,Baresi,Totti,Baggio,Zoff,Buffon why this is the case I'm not sure because each of the players I've mentioned could have walked into any club side in Europe and made avast amount of money but obviously they were either well paid in Italy or money wasn't their ambition and fair play to them if it wasn't pity more players had the same attitude.
I lived there for three years and a friend told me that the reason more Italians (not just footballers) don't emigrate is that they worry you can't find proper coffee outside Italy. I didn't think he was being serious until I went on a training exercise for three weeks in southern Germany with a few hundred Italian colleagues and I saw how miserable they all were when presented with German coffee (they called it 'dirty water'). On the journey back to Milan we stopped at the first Agip service station on the Italian side of the Brenner pass and I watched as 200 of my Italian colleagues jostled to be served at the bar first, and then I got it.

I lived there for three years and a friend told me that the reason more Italians (not just footballers) don't emigrate is that they worry you can't find proper coffee outside Italy. I didn't think he was being serious until I went on a training exercise for three weeks in southern Germany with a few hundred Italian colleagues and I saw how miserable they all were when presented with German coffee (they called it 'dirty water'). On the journey back to Milan we stopped at the first Agip service station on the Italian side of the Brenner pass and I watched as 200 of my Italian colleagues jostled to be served at the bar first, and then I got it.

No wonder they’re so animated!

Yeah, loved every minute of that. I loved Football Italia, never missed a game.
I used to watch it too. During the documentary I was like "All these games they're talking about that ended 3:3 and 4:3 and so on. This is not how I remember Football Italia at all." Then there's a screenshot of a list of results from one day and over half of them were 0:0. Now that is the Football Italia I remember!

Back in the 90s I probably knew more about Italian football than the English game. Gazetter Italia on a Saturday followed by a live game on the Sunday. 1990 World Cup is the one I have the best memories of. I loved Paolo Maldini but I have to admit to liking Juventus the most, favourite players Roberto Baggio (the Divine Ponytail) and Alessandro del Piero. Would have gone to Turin if I could have got myself a ticket.
I love Italian food and all the places I have visited have been thoroughly enjoyable.
In the ‘90 we had a super player in serie A: Italian team always After the level lowered.
they were present at the Champions League, Cup Winners' Cup and UEFA Cup finals.
After Premier League and Liga went to a higher level

I think the last 24 hours says more about the - possibly temporary - demise of Barca and Real, as opposed to a genuine European renaissance for Italian football. I do think an opportunity is opening up for English football to dominate in Europe again. But it may not last, depending on how the Spanish bastards move on over the summer.

Italian football does have a touch of glass about it and a cultural intensity that Spain can’t get remotely close to. Both the Nou Camp and the Bernabeau are utterly sterile, and there is a lack of passion in the stands.

I don’t really have an Italian team since I realised quite how scummy Lazio are. But I do like Genoa and the fact that they have British origins as well as having the word ‘cricket’ in their full name!

I think the last 24 hours says more about the - possibly temporary - demise of Barca and Real, as opposed to a genuine European renaissance for Italian football. I do think an opportunity is opening up for English football to dominate in Europe again. But it may not last, depending on how the Spanish bastards move on over the summer.

Italian football does have a touch of glass about it and a cultural intensity that Spain can’t get remotely close to. Both the Nou Camp and the Bernabeau are utterly sterile, and there is a lack of passion in the stands.

I don’t really have an Italian team since I realised quite how scummy Lazio are. But I do like Genoa and the fact that they have British origins as well as having the word ‘cricket’ in their full name!
I live in Genova ( but I’m Juventus ‘s supporter from Umbria near Rome).
Genoa and Sampdoria are good team with good supportes

cartolina%20001.JPG

This is Genoa Liverpool 1992, coppa UEFA

Sorry Guido but it’s very different.

His words are very different. He doesn’t ask for any tribute to his career. I'm his age and Buffon has always been very diplomatic. He said that the episode was doubtful and that in the last seconds you can not sanction a dubious episode by ruining a show. If he is not able to withstand the pressure go to the stadium as a spectator with the family and eating chips
When where the laws of the game changed? 1st min or last minute if it's a penalty then it's a penalty. The replays show this. Buffon seems to think penalties shouldn't be awarded because it's the last seconds!! What an idiot that makes him sound.

Buffon's comments are implying the ref couldn't handle the pressure, he's wrong, the ONLY two people that handled the pressure was the Ref and Ronaldo who remained calm and composed to score a perfect penalty whilst Buffon was pushing and shoving the ref multiple times. Juve and particularly Buffon lost their heads at the only time when they needed to stay calm and focused.

Juve were the best team on the night, there is no debate about this. Any team in the world would feel badly about conceding a penalty in the last seconds of a game. But all this doesn't change the fact that it was a penalty, the ref got the decision correct. He was then surrounded by almost the entire Juve team screaming in his face, Buffon as the Captain does have the right to talk to the ref, what he doesn't have the right to do his push him, let alone multiple times. His actions got himself sent off. Had he remained calm and focused on preparing himself for the penalty that had just been given, he might have saved it had he not been sent off, he's x20 the keeper of that wanker Szczesny.

Buffon is a great man and one of the most respected players in the World but his actions and subsequent post match comments have made him look a complete idiot. A total lack of class, a quality in which he has always shown as a professional. May be he should take some time out and listen to Del Piero, then if he is the man everyone thinks he is, he should come out and apologise for his comments and do what real men do, take responsibility for his actions.

Juve need to look at themselves, next year Tottenham will over take them on the financial standings, whilst this isn't anything to cheer about, it's not a trophy, it odes mean on the European stage you are going backwards, whilst Tottenham are going forwards. If Juve want to lecture my football club about our mentality (Chellini's comments) and who have Presidents and Senior Club Management talking to match officials before and during a game, from a Club that has a history cheating and fixing matches you will get no sympathy here I'm afraid. In the last minutes of that game and the subsequent classless comments that followed the game in Madrid, I'm sorry to say that Juve have again been exposed for what they are, a Club with no class, no respect, no dignity. It's fine taking the morale high ground when you are winning but it is in the hardest moments when you should be judged and look at your Club now. Crying, swearing, bleating, accusing and trying to act blameless where it was all down to them and their actions. The true colours of Juve have been exposed again, been left bare for all to see, Juve have no class.

(This isn't aimed at you, I'm glad you have stuck around and I like your posts. I get why you feel raw and upset, I would too, but like your club you should take time reflect on what actually happened. It will not take the pain away but it means you will not look like a Liverpool supporter always claiming to be a victim).

Back
Top Bottom